Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   3.8 & 4.2L V6 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum50/)
-   -   Glasspack v. Muffler (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/275732-glasspack-v-muffler.html)

homer4.2 08-26-2004 11:20 AM

Glasspack v. Muffler

I do know a muffler cost about 70 bucks while a glass pack cost about 20 bucks.

I have no muffler just one pipe coming out after the cats and it has no rumble or anything like an V8 and I need something. Would putting a glasspack on my one pipe work and give it a rumble?? I know it will quiet it some but so will a muffler, unless the case happens to be the uncapped warlock.

1.Would putting a glasspack or possibly two on my one pipe work and give it a rumble??
2.Does the warlock still have a rumble when uncapped??
3.Is there anything else that would give me a rumble?? Because I have nothing and I have had my exhaust system since late May this year and am already tired of it???

Help please!:)

StorminTexan 08-26-2004 12:23 PM

My buddy had a reg cab with the 4.2 and a glass pack..

That sob would scream at WOT.. It was loud.. It depends tho.. If you put Glass Packs on and you want it to rumble loud you have to break the glass.. Thats tricky.. It involves you turning the truck on.. Having someone on the throttle and you sticking a water hose in your exhaust pipe.. What your doing is sending water to the glass pack while someone is stepping on the gas.. It'll shatter the glass and spit some glass/water out.. Then your truck will scream at WOT.. I'm talking a loud cracklin rumble.. Sounds cool but can be annoying.. You'll be noticed from far away..

If I was going to run duals and muffs I'd go with the kit that Motorhaven sells for 329.00.. Its a good deal for all the pipes, mandrel bends, mufflers and the stainless exhaust tips.. I know for a fact tips cost about $40 each for that type that doesnt rust fast.. So its a well worth deal.. Cost only about $30 bucks to weld in or if you got the skill and a welder you can do it yourself..

true4.2 08-26-2004 02:38 PM

If I were you I would do this for a good rumble:

Buy 2 Warlock Mufflers...they are pretty much the loudest mufflers out there.

Run true duals with an X-pipe from the cats and dump both the muffler down about 1 to 1 1/2 feet right after the muffler. Uncap them at all times. If you don't notice a rumble from that, you're deaf!

homer4.2 08-26-2004 03:14 PM

hmmm thanks for both posts

texan-wouldnt it be a problem if water got in your cats?? i know that it couldnt go uphill into the headers or block but im sure evaporation could and then condensate in there...isnt that a bad idea.. I have heard of doing this but not that way, i have heard of letting ur truck warm up and then dousing that glasspack with water from the outside. Does your bud just have one glasspack?? what kind are they??? thanks and ps what is WOT, i see it alot said but not sure..

joe-true duals are just like dual exhaust but seperate at each dual correct?? what do u mean by xpipe?

StorminTexan 08-26-2004 10:10 PM

The only way I have ever known is sticking a hose in the exhaust pipe.. Running the engine at WOT (Wide Open Throttle) creates enough pressure to keep the water from the cats...

True dual is runnig two sets of pipes with two mufflers (one on each pipe).. An X pipe is a pipe that is an X shape.. Basically what it does is this.. Each pipe runs off an Exhaust Manifold (We have 2).. It runs through the cats into an X pipe where one pipe comes in on the Top Left side and out the Bottom Right and the other pipe comes in the Top Right and out the Bottom Left (They Criss Cross).. Then it goes into one muffler per pipe and out to the tail pipes.. It keeps a constant backpressure.. Its much similar to an H-Pipe found on Performance cars but its an X version instead.. Some trucks run whats called a Y-Pipe that just splits off in the shape of a Y to the mufflers then exits the tail pipes..

E1 E2 = Exhaust Manifolds
| |
\/ __ X PIPE
/\
| |
M M = Mufflers
| |
T T = Tail Pipes

true4.2 08-27-2004 09:11 AM

LoL, nice diagram...I wouldn't have thought of that! You answered all his questions for me.

homer4.2 08-27-2004 12:31 PM

thanks for the diagram it completely helps... but right after the cats there is just ONE pipe coming out right?? and u just weld on another one onto that one??

StorminTexan 08-27-2004 06:09 PM

homer,

I'd have to check under my truck and see how it is now.. But a "True Dual" has two cats... Ill draw out a picture of it tonight and post it.. Its expensive to do a True Dual because of the added hardware.. Then again we do have 2 cats if im not mistaken so we could probably make an exception.. I'd have to look.. standby for info..

true4.2 08-28-2004 09:43 AM

Ok, you have the stock manifold which goes into 1 pipe, into 1 cat, which comes together with the other pipe from the other stock manifold and cat.

The X-Pipe criss-crosses the piping when the come together into 1 pipe and they remain 2 pipes...not 1.

So yes, true duals has 2 cats with 2 different pipes, both going into the X-pipe, which then criss-crosses the 2 pipes, and then the 2 pipes go into 2 different mufflers or whatever you have at the end. Make sense?

homer4.2 08-28-2004 02:58 PM

Interesting....

I need to do something FAST, I filled up after driving 300 miles on my tank lastnight dand i figured it out,...14.84mpg!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thats it!!! Would a dual exhaust with two warlocks help with this??? becuse I have no muffler as it is right now, i was thinkinthat might be the problem...i think im going to order the warlocks tonite, especially if they'll help