Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1978 - 1996 Big Bronco (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum44/)
-   -   Fuel Pump (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/274925-fuel-pump.html)

4WDBronco 08-24-2004 08:53 AM

Fuel Pump

I have a 90 Ford Bronco, 351W E4OD. Here is my problem. When I go to start it, I can hear the fuel pump kick on...but it doesn't turn off. I can still start the Bronco but it sputters, the check engine light comes on and the gas smells funny. I changed the fuel filter because I thought it might be clogged but that didn't help. Actually it got worse.

Once I drive it for a few minutes, the check engine light turns off and you can hear the motor start running like it is supposed to. But today shortly after the light shut off it started like flashing as if it was getting good pressure from the pump then bad pressure. I pulled into Mobil because I only had a 1/4 of a tank and it stalled. I filled it up and I drove home. The whole way home it was sputtering and kicking the check engine light on.

What is wrong with this POS and how can I fix it?

TIA, Mike

mymechanic'sanidiot 08-24-2004 09:54 AM

Well, my .02 worth..my 98 Ranger and my GF's 99 Civic manual says a CEL that stays on needs fixed, a blinking CEL needs fixed now. Also, this will probably get moved to the Bronco forum. Once its there, the folks should be able to help you. Have you pulled the codes on it yet? That always helps us help you. Good luck!

4WDBronco 08-24-2004 10:05 AM

What codes?

Mike

mymechanic'sanidiot 08-24-2004 10:50 AM

If you go to the Bronco forum a little ways further down the page, there is a thread right at the top called Technical Information. There'll be links in there for pulling the EEC-IV codes. When your check engine light (CEL) light is on, it means that something is wrong and causing the computer to store a code. Also called throwing a code.

4WDBronco 08-24-2004 11:00 AM

How do I get the code?

Momudder720 08-24-2004 11:02 AM

Go to AutoZone. They have a code reader and they'll check it for free. But don't always trus those codes. On my old Ranger (3.0 v-6) it said I had a misfire on the #7 cylinder. That was good for a laugh.

4WDBronco 08-24-2004 11:03 AM

Well I went to the Bronco Forum and to Tech Articles but couldn't find what you are talking about...how about a link?

TIA
Mike

Torque1st 08-24-2004 07:53 PM

Moved to proper forum.

BOJOFASO 08-24-2004 08:26 PM

im not an expert but sometimes i think i am. it sounds like your eec power relay has gone bad and needs to be replaced. it is located under the hood behind the air box. you will see an eec test plug then next to that is three relays the first one is marked eec the second is marked fuel pump. i believe that if you change the first relay, about thirteen dollars your problem will go away. this is just my opinion but for 13$ it is worth a try. it could also be your fuel pump relay that is sticking also that is the next relay in the line.

tigerhawk_212 08-24-2004 10:12 PM

i agree, change out the fuel pump relay and see what happens.

4WDBronco 08-25-2004 07:13 AM

Thanx! Do you have a picture of where that is at? Or a picture of what they look like so I know what I am looking for.

Mike

BOJOFASO 08-25-2004 07:56 PM

no picture but if you read my first post i described it .

4WDBronco 09-14-2004 09:07 AM

Well I looked for the relays and I found the black cover that reads, ECC, Fuel pump, etc... But there were no relays in/under the box. The truck still will not crank but the fuel pump runs. Any ideas of what to do?

Mike

4WDBronco 09-14-2004 12:34 PM

Okay look and you shall find.

I found them, they were not connected to the box. But one is green and the other is black, when I unplugged them (either one) it would shut the fuel pump down, but the truck would not start with either out. I called AutoZone and I think they have them. I am going to go by there tonight and pick them up and switch it out.

Thanx for the help. Any recommendations or suggestions on anything once I replace them?

mike

mustangman65_79 09-15-2004 02:51 AM

I would change both relays just on case