Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Computer Chips & Tuners (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum46/)
-   -   1715 Pings under load (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/268934-1715-pings-under-load.html)

BigRedBronc 08-07-2004 06:50 AM

1715 Pings under load

I recently received my shiny new Superchips 1715 and programmed my 96 Bronco, 5.0L. Very pleased with the results overall, but I have one issue with the rig pinging under moderately heavy load. With the Bronc running at about 2/3 throttle accelerating up a moderate hill, she starts pinging fairly noticeably. Before you jump on the 93 octane issue, I have only run 93 octane fuel in my Bronc for years, even with the current prices.
Not sure why it is doing this. The rig runs beautifully with the 1715 Performance program installed except for the ping under load. My truck has a cold air intake and headers, which are not supposed to matter according to Superchips. I experienced the usual high idle issue mentioned throughout these threads, but after a couple of days the computer worked things out and I am back to normal behavior. The pinging was noticed the first time I took her out after the program, and although it has improved somewhat, the problem still persists. The pinging only happens when the Bronc is warmed up, if I run the same hill under the same load when she is cold, no pinging.
The computer has thrown no codes and I have no other driveability issues.

Should I run a bottle of Octane Boost through a tank or two to see if it resolves?
Should I run a cooler thermostat (currently running OEM Compatible 195)?
Should I pull the spout and attempt to verify base timing (never messed with the timing)?
Should I just be patient a while longer and let the computer get "used" to the new programming?
Should I disconnect the battery to make the computer re-baseline with the new program installed?

To see a full list of modifications I have done to the rig, you can check my gallery or my website to see if any of these reveal clues to my problem. Before purchasing a 1715, I emailed Superchips with my list of mods, and they replied that I was "good to go".
I value your collective expertise and look forward to reading your thoughts on this issue.
Thanks,
Tom

FTE Ken 08-08-2004 08:38 PM

First, you need to make sure the injectors are clean and the plugs are in good shape. The headers can impact tuning if they are long tube headers. Shorties are fine, long tube requires custom program. Don't run a cooler thermostat. Don't play with the timing. Also, try changing fuels. I have poor results with Shell, great results with Mobil and BP/Amoco. Don't buy fuel in the mornings after the gas truck has been there during the night filling the tanks and stirring up the water in them (or whenever your local station fills up).

BigRedBronc 08-09-2004 06:01 PM

Thanks Ken, I am running shorty headers, but I will check the plugs and run a couple of bottles of injector cleaner through it. I do this every 3000 miles anyway, but another shot cannot hurt. You perked my ears up with the fuel source issue, as the station I normally buy fuel from is a Shell. There is a Mobil right up the street so I will try them for a few tanks.

ssn randy 08-11-2004 10:54 AM

are you towing with the performance tune loaded?

your post said "The rig runs beautifully with the 1715 Performance program installed except for the ping under load."

Maybe you stated it wrong, please clairify. If you are towing with that tune loaded your going to hurt your truck, load the "tow" tune.

yes--Should I pull the spout and attempt to verify base timing (never messed with the timing)?
set it at 10 degrees BTDC

BigRedBronc 08-12-2004 04:30 AM

No, I am not towing. By "under load" I meant just what I said in my post. 2/3 throttle heading up a moderate hill.

ssn randy 08-12-2004 07:36 AM

got it, I'd check the timing just to make sure its at 10 BTDC. sorry to here your having problems.