Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Your progress this year? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/267560-your-progress-this-year.html)

55Bubba 08-03-2004 02:19 PM

FOr me,

A dependable engine installed. Some rewiring done,Brakes partially done (atleast road worthy) I'm riding and driving and that's more than I could say last year. Finally decided between hot rod and resto-mod (yep). Have a plan in place and working it. It's finally fun !

Bubba

Jet Jock 08-03-2004 03:59 PM

For me this past year has been good. Fixed most of the rigging the previous owner had done. Things like replaced the bent drive shaft, rebuilt the carb, fixed the shift linkage (did you know there are more spots than park, rev, and drive?) Stopped most of the water leaks, doors now lock, new seats (from an Expedition the best money I have ever spent) fixed the pinion angle, replaced the rear trans bushing and seal where the bent drive shaft beat it out, bolted the bed down with all the bolts, relining front disc on Friday before I drive it to Louisville. All together it has gone well and I drive it daily about 13000 miles this last year.
Now this October she goes off the frame! Oo.
New radiator, 302 crate motor 320 horse, AOD, Air, firewall smoothed, inner fender wells,new wiring, dakota gauges, ididit column, dash smoothed, custom overhead console with all switches, one piece power glass, door handles shaved, custom center console, interior finished, sound system (cheap one I don't like noise) Dynamat throughout, 3rd brake light, battery under the bed, gas tank under the bed, and a Pro Pick cover. That should keep my winter evenings busy. I have a friend with a heated garage whose hobby is building street rods.

Jet Jock
"I drive a 'girly' 302 because, when I want to go fast, I go to work" :-X24

4tl8ford 08-03-2004 05:32 PM

Still alive, that makes everything exactly on schedule.

fatfenders 08-03-2004 07:23 PM

Year five of the project and the rides are still short and far between because I continue to upgrade sheetmetal with new parts. The goal is to drive this thing to Dash to the Dells show in a little over a month. If my day job allows, I might make it. It will be down to the wire. Here is the recent progress.

1. Installed No Limit tilt hood kit I bought at PF 2003. But only after a new stock style hinge exploded by my ear and screwed up some paint.

2. Assembled brand new bed kit. Flipped over tonight and hope to paint the bottom edges. Couple more coats of Spar are needed and the wood is ready too.

3. Also need to paint my new front fenders and gravel pan. Just waiting for favorable weather.

4. Finishing up nice to have details like emergency brake, minor interior trimming etc.

Near term plans.

1. More interior details like visors. Also need to de-stuff the seat back. It is too thick and hurts the legroom.

2. Many new paint chips to address. I sure hope the paint I bought matches. But I know it won't because it is red so it's hard to say where I end up.

3. Drive it perhaps?

barry 08-03-2004 07:54 PM

I've made almost no progress on my goals for the year. Since buying a "new" house this January, It has taken what little spare time I've had trying to shorten the "to do" list. I wanted to get the cab welded on the 50 F-1 and back on the completed frame. I also wanted to get the engine fired up to keep the valves loose on the flatty engine. As I get older there's less and less time to work on it, and I've had the truck 15 years now! I hope to get it done before they put me in the pine box.................

Barry

50 F-1

jniolon 08-03-2004 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by fatfenders
3. Drive it perhaps?

See DeWayne ????? that's what happens when you have a driver....

I don't expect to drive mine for a hunerd years so I'm never disappointed !!! yea...right :cool:

john :-X06

mr4speedford 08-03-2004 08:31 PM

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...=50271&width=0
Thought visual aid might help some! By the end of the year would like to have frame and drivetrain rebuilt and running. The long term goal is to be able to drive iit to knoxville next year completely done. I can tell its going to be a close one....
Alot of you guy's are making good progress. Some need to pick up pace, but I won't mention John's name.

Dewayne, that red garage queen going to be at knox next year? -4speed :-X22

AmeriKen 08-03-2004 08:33 PM

My project is going slow too.

My 51 project started as a hobby tractor hauler. It started as an F8, but I downsized to an F-350 chassis. I started last November with the intention of having it finished by mid-July 04 to haul my restored 1960 CASE crawler to a tractor show in Greenville Ohio. Well, I missed it.

I just picked up the front and rear glass today at the glass shop, and left a pattern for the door glass without the wing vents.

I painted all four fenders and the running boards this past weekend. It's been too hot and sticky the last few days to do any serious work on it.

I'll take the cab off and paint it before setting it back on the chassis. I need to rework the firewall behind the right valve cover to give more clearance between it and the 460. Also, I need to weld closed dozens of holes in the roof where sirens and lights were attached and where 2-3 sets of mirrors were installed on the doors over the last 50+ years

The 84 F-350 running gear has been much better than first thought. The 460 was started and the longer it runs, the better it runs. I've pressure washed it and will be painting the engine and frame in a few weeks. The C6 works OK and seems to shift when driving up and down the lane. It's fun to power-brake it too! I have potholes all over the gravel lane where the duallies have spun.

The Lincoln tilt column was easy using a couple of universal joints. I modified the linkage and was able to use the column shifter. The brake lines have been replaced and the power brakes work great! I used the original brake pedal assembly from the F-350 along with the power booster.

I haven't done any interior work yet. Right now I have bucket seats in it (5 gallon buckets) to have something to sit on and to let one of the grandkids sit with me when I take a joy-ride up and down the lane. The radiator is secured with bungee cords and coat hangers, because there is no "dog-house" over the front. It's sitting in the barn with new paint on it.

I'm taking 2 weeks of vacation in September when it gets a litttle cooler and with take off the rest of the month as a leave of absence from work. It's our 40th anniversary and I'll have to take my darlin on a few R&R trips throughout the month. I just hope she doesn't make me go to Gatlinburg, TN for the 20th time.

For now, I have to drive my 64 Galaxie that I restored about 20 years ago. It's a 390 4-speed car that is fun to drive. I rebuilt the engine then and bored it .030 over with forged pistons and put some go-fast stuff in it then like a 300 degree solid lifter cam, 428 CobraJet heads, aluminum intake and Paxton blower and other stuff that I've forgotten about.

Ken McWilliams
Dayton, OH

Midnite Cruiser 08-03-2004 08:39 PM

Huntsman- cool thread, making us keep the the eye on the prize. Last we talked you were doing surgery to get the side mount spare off and I grafted one on!
Completed- paint, entire mop of POR15 on inner doors, fenders and bed. New 'jewelery' for her (repro front hood orn, side, and polish and repaint of step plates). Clutch, YewJays, Diff and springs. New headliner, insulation, shift column rebuild. Holley 600 on the 312, Pertronix.
Drives with wandering power. Loves hauling and towing new 2000lb boat rig.
Purchase offers every time I go out (3x a week)

TO DO. Surrender and put in TOY PS, probably power disc kit. Speedo and Odo.

Kudos to the full rod crowd and their monk-like patience.
I like workin' and Y'in with the '55

Purple55 08-03-2004 08:58 PM

I just got done with my "most feared" portion of the project--all the painting is done !
I've got to do some sanding and buffing yet and then I can install all body panels.
Chassis and motor are good to go.I have driven it down the street a couple of times.
I have to make interior trim panels and install seat and carpet.
BUT!!
Deer hunting starts in 2 weeks and we've got one of the longest seasons, lasting till Jan. 1st.
So.....I'll get'er dun when I get'er dun.

jniolon 08-03-2004 09:12 PM

garage art

[QUOTE=mr4speedford but I won't mention John's name. [/QUOTE]

no names eh ?????

ok.... garage art for you

http://www.clubfte.com/users/jniolon/truckgarage1.jpg

later,

john :-X06

F250Rob 08-03-2004 09:12 PM

Woke up my 56 F-250 after 6 years of storage at my Dad's place. The 292 ran like a beauty. Decided that driving it from CA to TX with 4.88 gears, 3 on the tree, and 9 mpg would take nearly a week of vacation and cost $600, so I spent $700 and shipped it via an auto transport company.

The conversation with the secretary at the shipping company was classic..."Sir, is that an F-250 extended cab?"......."Uhhh, no they didn't make 'em that way in '56."........."How much does it weigh?"......."Mmmm, lemme see, alot....probably more than the truck you've got hauling it!"

The truck's been out here in Texas a few months and I've only been able to clean it really well, tune it up, rewire the front headlights and parking lights, and do some exploratory surgery grinding the cab corners and roof line to see how much rust there is. The good news is there isn't much at all.

My four year old daughter loves riding around in it...probably because it's louder than a Harley with the exhaust completely gone just aft of the cab!

So, for now it's major project planning phase, and trying to get smart on things I'll need to know to do a good job, which is just about everything.

Here's a good story for you all: My daughter and I were at a stop light with the noise from our idling 292 several decibels louder than the little boom-box mini-truck's rap music next to me. ( 8D ) I told my daughter, "Someday, honey, this truck is going to look just like new", to which she replied, "No Daddy! I like it just the way it is!!"

That's my girl. :-X22

ROB

OilLeaks 08-03-2004 09:18 PM

Schedule?????

I tried scheduling with my old MG projects but life got in the way. Bought this project (51 F-1) a couple of years ago mostly for "stress relief" and because I just liked the way it looked. The only time I try to schedule is when I actually plan to work on it- otherwise it mostly "just happens" when I get a few weekend minutes. Took two weeks vacation a little while back and just worked on my truck. Front end rebuild, spring work, rear axle bearings/seals, brake lines,new brake shoes cylinders etc, It was one of the best vacations I ever had and I basically accomplished about half as much as I thought I would - but I ran out of money at the same time as I ran out of time...so I figure I won! Seriously one of the best vacations I ever had and, just as importantly seeing a little progress has motivated me to get busy once again and drive the thing. If I had to pick a pressure point - I'd say it needs to be road worthy (even if ugly) by the end of the year or I may start hearing remarks from the lady who funds these things and also holds the big hammer. Glad she likes the truck!!!

Leaks :cool:

Keahi73 08-03-2004 09:27 PM

I met my goal in April. The panel is one color, there are scallops on the side and a pinstriping piece on the rear doors. Airbags are in, and it is the condition I had planned it to be in from day one. I love it. Only now the engine is getting tired, and Hubby took over my "half" of the panel by bribing me with a 51 F1. Now I'm back at square one with a new project and a whole new set of goals. I finally met one. Truck stops properly now. 3 to go by the North South Run in a couple of weeks and my goals for this year will again be done. Tune Up, replace funky lights with original grill and lights and clean up. I think small to keep me sane. If extra gets done then I'm ahead of myself!

Homespun91 08-03-2004 09:43 PM

My goal this year is to figure out the deep meaning of Niolon's avatar! The picture, that is, not the caption. :-huh

Oh, ya meant the truck! I got a new one 3 weeks ago- therefore all schedules are wiped clean. Besides- this one runs & drives- street-legal an' all- kinda unsettling, really..... :-X16

Mike