Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Paint and fabric protection? Worth it? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/262877-paint-and-fabric-protection-worth-it.html)

RussDraper 07-20-2004 10:53 PM

Paint and fabric protection? Worth it?

I am in the process of buying a new F250, and the dealer tried to sell me fabric and paint protection stuff. I thought new paints didn't need that teflon or whatever coating on them anymore. The fabric protection might be a good idea, considering how well it works on new pants I will never buy non-teflon pants again. Does anybody out there have this on their paint, and does it actually work? Does it make a difference any more?

LilBlackCoupe 07-21-2004 06:40 AM

The only thing that's worth anything is the warranties you get with them. I like the undercoating that many dealers sell. Keeps the salt from sitting on everything underneath. I would seriously consider the undercoating and fabric protection.

daimon1054 07-21-2004 08:30 AM

99% of the dealers do not even put fabric protection if you pay for it and the same for paint sealent and if they do it's wax! Most if you pay for under coating will overcharge and go take a walk in the back you will find some spray cans and it is only in the wheel wells. Don't get ripped off! When you get you truck home put 3 good coats of wax and if you want undercoating put it yourself or find a reputable shop. As to fabric protection? I buy and sell used cars and have yet to find a stain that I could not get out. I remember as a kid we had stains on the seats but never in the last 10 years. Stop and think about it when was the last stain that you could not get out? That is because there is a protectant applied at the factory. Also have you ever smelled the fabric protectants that you buy in the store? (they do work BTW) Well if the dealer had put some one would it not smell? You ever smelled it in a new car? NO because they don't put it.

I worked at 3 differant dealerships and my dad before opening his used car lot worked for 15 years at a Ford dealership and we all charger for paint sealant and fabric protection and never put the first lick on anything.

RussDraper 07-21-2004 08:43 PM

What about Simoniz System5? That is what they were pushing to sell me. I've yet to find the price... Their web site is www.simonizusa.com

LilBlackCoupe 07-22-2004 06:45 AM

There is nothing "applied" at the factory.

kw5413 07-22-2004 08:35 AM

The only real protection this stuff provides is to the dealers bottom line profit.

Keep your truck / car clean.

Buy ScotchGuard at Walmart (1-2 cans should do it) spray and let dry.

In your part of the world you might consider undercoating. More for resale than actual protection. It is my understanding that rust outs have pretty much been overcome by the mfg's. I accidently lived in Ohio for a few yares in the 70's & 80's and undercoat was almost SOP.

Good luck and safe driving.