Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fuel Injection, Carburetion & Fuel System (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum72/)
-   -   my 69 torino needs 99.8 octane gas. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/257272-my-69-torino-needs-99-8-octane-gas.html)

forddytube 07-04-2004 11:03 PM

my 69 torino needs 99.8 octane gas.

hi people. i have been using chevrons supreme gas 90 octane and it makes my car run like shyte. can anyone please tell me where i can get higher octane gas the wont damage my engine. i have heard talk of some blue gas. please help? thanks.
also is the gas from the airport any good it is 101 low lead?

forddytube 07-05-2004 12:05 AM

sorry guys this is not a cross post or a repost i just found some stuff on "home brew octane boost" i don't advise anyone to try this at home!all you need they say are "methyl-tertiary-butyl-ether(mtbe) and 92 octane premium gasoline
MIXTURES WITH 92 OCTANE PREMIUM GAS
10%...94.6 Octane
20%...97.2 octane
30%...99.8 octane.
they say that the octane boost off the shelf together with 92 premium gas only boosts it to like 93.2 or less.
Notes:Oxygenate is common in octane boost products and has a lower BTU content than xylene or touluene but oxygaenate effect makes the gasoline burn better and produce more energy.
SAMPLE MIXTURE
100 oz touluene (for octane boost)
25 oz mineral spirits( for cleaning agent)
3 oz transmission fluid (for lubricant)
. if anyone has knowledge on this please help? :-wink

LxMan1 07-05-2004 11:20 AM

I'd just use AVGAS from your local airport. It is low lead, 100 octane and smells good too.
This way you won't have all of these chemicals laying around the house. It's a lot cheaper than racing fuel, and works just as good.
In some cases, you may have to jet the carb up a little bit, due t the density of the AVGAS is a little different.

forddytube 07-05-2004 06:24 PM

LxMan1 are you certain that th AVgas won't harm the engine in the long run? like lead buildup or something.i called the taos international airport(it's one short runway with a toilet sized building), but they have AVgas for sale to the public, 100 low lead for $299 a Gal.
i don't wana clogging up or dammaging the engine , i just wana get her to run like she is supposed to.
thank you for the advice Lx Man1.

Ford_Six 07-05-2004 07:23 PM

Cars ran on leaded gas from the late 20's into the early 70's, so I wouldn't worry about it damaging anything. A plane engine isn't that different from a high performance car engine anyways, the advent in low-lead avgas is due to many newer planes having efi. If it is good enough to be fail safe in a plane, it will be plenty good in a car.

forddytube 07-05-2004 11:17 PM

hey you guys rock !!
any ideas of what jet sizes work best for 7500 ft altitude on AVgas and will i have to re jet for the winter or do i only rejet when i change to a lower/higher octane ?
thank you Ford_six.

LWJ 07-05-2004 11:54 PM

Hey,

I'm not a chemist but I think MTBE or whatever that is is supposed to be VERY hazardous to your health.

As a note: Chemists are noted for having short life expectancies due to all the funky stuff in their systems.

I'd buy the avgas and leave the chemistry to someone else.

Larry

forddytube 07-06-2004 12:41 AM

hey Larry ,you just broke the shyte down to the nearest terms ha, i like that.
" leave the chemestry to the chemists "
i just found out that some of the concuctions i mentioned can be used to make meth....
i am gonna pump AVgas soon as i get chevron out.
thanks guys .

LxMan1 07-06-2004 11:35 PM

Itis low lead and actually has a small amount of antifreeze in to for high altitudes. I have run it in my 460 with no problems. My brother in-law usues it in his race car, and lawn equipment with no adverse effects.
I wouldn't use it in an EFI car because the lead can clog the injectors over time and build up on the O2 sensors.
On an older beast with a carb and no converters, it works great!!