Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum40/)
-   -   1966 f100 styleside wood bed (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/255284-1966-f100-styleside-wood-bed.html)

wallgrent 06-28-2004 03:05 PM

1966 f100 styleside wood bed

Saw the truck with the wood bed in the gallery. It was the last picture of page one. Think it was from Georgia. I am completing my 66 and want to put a wood bed in it. Where can I get a wood kit?

cdherman 06-28-2004 10:49 PM

Hah. Wood kit for a styleside!! We would be happy to get patch pannels for a steel styleside bed.

No doubt with the right skills and equipment a wood bed can be grafted into a styleside bed after removal of the styleside floor. Might look really good, and with the right woodworking and metal skills combined, it is very doable.

But no kit.

daveengelson 06-29-2004 03:19 AM

Suggest running search on topic, seemed to recall issue came up not too long ago. Have the 2nd part of a two part article in the 'classic truck magazine' where owner of chev. truck converted fleetside to wood bed, Jan. 2003 issue. The article refered to Mar-K Quality Products (405)721-7945, located in Oklahoma. Has an address listed if you need it. May want to give them a call and see if they offer a kit for the styleside.

good luck,
dave

taylor0987 01-12-2005 10:40 AM

I know I'm pulling up an old-ish post, but I was looking into this as an option for my styleside bed floor. Here is the Chevy conversion kit: http://www.mar-k.com/steel_floor_to_wood_bed.html

I called them and they said it was not available for Ford at this time. They did say they would put it on their list of suggestions for new products. I explained to them that there was no repro. sheet metal available to replace the bed floor, so that would mean they would have a decent market for their kit.

If you are interested in the conversion, then please call mar-k and let them know! (405)721-7945

FordBoypete 01-12-2005 12:12 PM

IMHO a wood floor in a styleside would not be a good idea without major re-designing.
In fact I can't recall seeing any "full width cargo areas" with a wooden floor. and I've seen an awful lot of trucks, old as I am!.

Don't offer up a freight van body or flat bed as an example. They're totally different. They sit way off the frame on 4" channels with plenty of air circulation. Also there are no wheel wells or fenders involved.

2 reasons FoMoCo didn't use wood floors in stylesides is 1st, they rely on a steel floor to reinforce wheel housings [tubs] which reinforce bedsides themselves. Flareside has their large, curved, exterior, rear, fenders do that reinforcing.

2nd, there's no place to anchor additional cross bars req'd to fasten wood floor to. Straight sides of flaresides have a channel along their bottom, not too far from frame rail, where cross bars fasten. Styleside bedsides sit as far away from the frame rail as outsides of flareside fenders do, like more than a foot away. This increases potential for rotting with a styleside from wheel splash which flaresides don't have.

About 1/3 a styleside bed floor is outside the frame, in wheelsplash area/ zone. Wood does not dry fast like steel. Wet wood on steel makes both wood & steel degenerate quicker. A flareside bed sits on & is protected by the frame. Most wheelsplash of the flaresides is contained by the fenders, which unlike a styleside are not integral with the floor at all.

FBp

frty7ford 01-12-2005 12:49 PM

FBP

Could it be done to just the center section of the bed between the wheel wells? I know on some trucks this is a seprate plate in the middle.

Jim

taylor0987 01-14-2005 08:56 AM

here is another styleside with a full width wood bed. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...519158118&rd=1

tbirdscott 01-14-2005 01:27 PM

linky no workie, but thats a nice bed
Try this

eunice-jean 01-14-2005 06:44 PM

I own the 66

I bought the truck with the bed in place. The owner before me said he bought the chorme from Melvins in Conyers Ga. and cut and installed the wood himself. Looks great and I have had a lot of great comments.

wallgrent 02-08-2005 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by eunice-jean
I bought the truck with the bed in place. The owner before me said he bought the chorme from Melvins in Conyers Ga. and cut and installed the wood himself. Looks great and I have had a lot of great comments.

\

I am still trying to decide what to do. I have removed the steel floor and need to create a support system for the boards. Probably should have left the steel bed in place and put a show bed on top from Horkeys. Do you know how I can contact the previous owner of your truck?

Ringo Fonebone 02-08-2005 12:49 PM

Here's something to consider.
Go check out an old Che**y fleetside before 1973 and notice how smooth and flat the wood is, after 30 years in the rain and snow. :-X15
Then think, "I wonder how Ford trucks were superior to Ch**y trucks, in their time"
then consider....
Why do you suppose Che**y trucks have steel floors in them now?
Ever heard of "Ford's Better Ideas"?
The steel box floor was one of them. :-X22

wallgrent 02-08-2005 07:57 PM

Going for it

This truck will probably never see rain. Got carried away and invested a ton. Everything is new. We are going to install a wood bed.

Ringo Fonebone 02-08-2005 11:51 PM

Hey. it's your truck, man. Do it the way you like.
I couldn't do anything if you wanted coil rear springs and a bow tie on the hood either. :-X06
Enjoy!