Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum32/)
-   -   Spare Tire Removal (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/25431-spare-tire-removal.html)

bloomin3pa 11-02-2002 04:35 PM

Spare Tire Removal

How do I remove the spare tire mounted behind the rear bumper on a 2000 Explorer?

mgazak 11-03-2002 05:52 PM

Spare Tire Removal

It's a pretty simple process, just takes several minutes. First, fold down both rear seats and lift up the carpeted metal pieces that cover up the space between the back of the seats and the cargo floor. This is where the rod is stored. It is in two pieces that snap together. Next, open up the tailgate. Go into the storage panel in the left rear cargo area panel. Attached to the door is a tire iron, this attaches to the end of the rod to give you the leverage you need when turning it. Now that the rod is completely together, stick it in the whole just under the lip for the cargo door but above the bumper. I can't remember which way you need to turn the rod, but it'll be obvious by which way it moves. Lower the tire to the ground. Once it's down, the metal piece that holds it up needs to be turned sideways and slipped through the center of the wheel. You may need a hammer to loosen it if you live in an area with a lot of road gunk. You're done!

Good luck :-X22

marrug 11-04-2002 04:27 PM

Spare Tire Removal

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 04-Nov-02 AT 05:30 PM (EST)]mgazak has it 100% right. i didnt answer cause i really thought maybe ford figured an easier way than that. its exactly the same on my 96, and i'm glad i've never had to do it (altho i've lowered it just to see how its done) I keep the 2-part rod and the jack handle taped together in the back cargo compartment, so i dont have to go fooling around all over the truck at night by the side of the road. also, I invested in a better bottle jack than the chintzy one that came with the truck..just be real careful where you put it to jack it up..hope you never have to do it...yeah I agree its simple, but it doesnt look like fun...especially since rule # 238735603 says you only get flats at nite in the rain with somebody else in the truck at the time...lol Oh yeah, dont forget to check the tire pressure of that spare...its such a pain in the ass to get to i didnt bother until i bought new tires and discovered my spare had so little air it didnt register on the guage..

bloomin3pa 11-04-2002 09:01 PM

Spare Tire Removal

Thanks all. Too dark and cold to try it right now. Thank goodness the tire went flat in the driveway and not somewhere on at night in the rain. The manual says there's a hole in the bumper, and even called Ford and they said there's a whole in the bumper. Dah - there is no hole in the bumper. At least now I know where to look for that hole. Again, thank you for the help!

marrug 11-04-2002 09:21 PM

Spare Tire Removal

not for nothing, but one of the best investments ive ever made is a halfway decent compressor to blow up tires with. i added about 20 ft of heavy guage speaker wire (yeah speaker wire) in the middle of the power line that plugs into the lighter socket, now I can blow up all 4 tires and even the trailer tires or even help some poor guy out with a flat without having to do voodoo with the truck..it reaches everything...by the way, you've probably got a slow leak, so if you pump it up and then take it easy, theres no reason you cant drive to a gas station or tire place to have them plug it...you wont even have to take the tire off. that compressor runs about 20-30 bucks at walmart or any auto place...the oe thing you dont want to use is that gunk that goes into the tires that seals em...what a horror story that caused once upon a time...

marragtop 11-05-2002 03:21 AM

Spare Tire Removal