Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum128/)
-   -   E350 Front A/C drain... (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/253134-e350-front-a-c-drain.html)

cgilley 06-21-2004 09:16 PM

E350 Front A/C drain...

Crud. The A/C on the front unit is draining into the front carpet. But, pulling off the access covers, I see a large plastic unit and underneath a metal box (with circuit card) under it. The plastic unit likely contains the heater core and a/c evaporator if I had to guess. The metal box under it???? What the heck is that?

Reading around this web site (finally found it again), it looks like to clear the drain, I'm going to have to remove the plastic cover, yes? Any hints to make this as easily as possible?

mhg 06-21-2004 09:26 PM

look under that same housing under the hood next to the firewall
should be a drain in this area maybe a short hose that has the end formed
flat. this can be opened with finger pressure
you may need a wire to slide inside
just be gentle as not to damage the evaporator

cgilley 06-21-2004 09:51 PM

I'll take a look..... nothing is easy to get to on the beast...

mhg 06-22-2004 07:36 PM

maybe easier to go under and look up to locate

Jesse4 06-25-2004 12:41 PM

I have a '95 E350 motorhome chassis, had the same problem and did exactly what you did (pulled the outer shell and got stopped at the inner one). Finally did what mhg suggested, except blew compressed air up the drain tube (gingerly, thank you) and that seemed to solve it. I figured some crud was jammed there and the air just allowed it to "rearrange itself" and flow on out.

GreeVan 10-21-2017 08:34 PM

Reviving an old thread, but after several days searching I can not find a good answer.

My AC is leaking on the passenger side. This is Houston so I got looots of condensation. I've removed the cover to access the heater core and check the drain tube to be free. I put silicone when re-installing the cove to make sure both halves are sealed. Still leaks

The water seems to come between the actual fire wall and the box. I've added the two big washers seen in the picture to tighten the nuts and still leaks.

I've read that adding an elbow on the other side of the firewall, engine side, will help the water to drip away from the firewall.

Does anyone have any pictures of the drain on the engine side? It seems that the water may drain above the fender. Is this correct?

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...0f6dcd43db.jpg

bold1 10-22-2017 07:20 AM

Drain should be on top of inner fender under hood. Can't really see it. My friend had the same problem. We opened the drain, but it replugged(I think we just kept pushing the plug up and it would slide back down the tube). We loosened the inner cover and pried it out enough to see and we used an angle drill to drill into the housing where the drain tube meets the firewall. We glued a 3/8" hose nipple into the housing, keeping the end flush inside, and drilled down thru the floor into the wheel well and ran the a hose down there. He hasn't had any problems since.

cgilley 10-22-2017 08:24 AM

GreeVan - I wish I could help. I remember having the problem, but it was 3 cars ago. I had my hands full convincing the little ones not to put crayons in the a/c vents in back :).

I'm now down to my last "little one" who will be 16 in December.

If you get it fixed, post a follow up please. I'm always curious as to how it happened (the plug). Alternatively, you can drill another hole in the evaporator box and run an overflow line...

twayphoto 07-22-2018 11:27 AM

GreeVan, Were you able to resolve this? I have the same issue, but it almost seems like the water is condensing on the outer box and dripping. I am able to get to the drain for the heater core, and that is clear. Is there another drain somewhere? Or is the drain in the heater core the one it's supposed to drip out from? I see no hose that is flat. I wish I had an exploded view of the parts, but I can't even seem to find that on the interwebs.

twayphoto
95 E350 Coachman Chassis
7.5 L V8

GreeVan 07-23-2018 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by twayphoto (Post 18099884)
GreeVan, Were you able to resolve this? I have the same issue, but it almost seems like the water is condensing on the outer box and dripping. I am able to get to the drain for the heater core, and that is clear. Is there another drain somewhere? Or is the drain in the heater core the one it's supposed to drip out from? I see no hose that is flat. I wish I had an exploded view of the parts, but I can't even seem to find that on the interwebs.

twayphoto
95 E350 Coachman Chassis
7.5 L V8

No, I've not. This is not my daily driver, so after using the van I lift the carpet and the rubber padding and let it drain. It is definitely condensation. I put an elbow on the drain above the fender, but it didn't change anything. I am thinking about gluing two plastic strips in a "V" shape and drill a drain hole on the inclined portion of the floor and call it a day.