Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Offroad & 4x4 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum63/)
-   -   why are beadlocks illegal? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/250033-why-are-beadlocks-illegal.html)

Scoarch 06-12-2004 11:07 AM

why are beadlocks illegal?

why are they illegal on the streat?
you think they would be as safe or safer than a stock rim. :-huh

95-F-350-4x4 06-12-2004 11:40 AM

They are "safer". But I guess the DOT are affraid that the bolts will come undone and lose your tire. Go figure!

rebocardo 06-12-2004 04:34 PM

Because most beadlocks from years ago use to lose bolts, which is very dangerous on the highway, because of their constant slight air loss, and the center of the rims were two piece.

Supposedly, the beadlocks from 6x6usa.com are street legal.

1991fseries 06-12-2004 11:38 PM

not all bead locks are road illegal there are some new ones out that are dot legal

fishmanndotcom 06-13-2004 12:54 AM

not all are illegal! but most are. Like i said in another post most cops don't even know what beadlocks are much less know that they are illegal, esp with the debut of the street locks which look just like the real ones.

the reason beadlocks are illegal is b/c the bolts would get loose and then the rim would separate (i believe it was already stated). but some manufacturers have come up with a hold down system (bolts) that does not loosen when driving at 70 mph!

-cutts-

JeremyH 06-13-2004 07:18 AM

Since when is there a DOT police? The state and city cops dont enforce those regulations.

BTW.....these are DOT approved:
http://www.offroadonly.com/products/new/rocklox/

1991fseries 06-13-2004 07:30 AM

the police can and have enforced things like this, it just depends on with the comes knows or not and if he's a *itch or not, what would happen is that they can impound the truck has unsafe to drive until you put on DOT approved wheels.

fishmanndotcom 06-13-2004 12:04 PM

o yes....the DOT and cops work together.....did you know that if there is not a DOT stamp on a windshield then you can have your car impounded? also they won't allow lexan to be used for a windshield but they will allow plexiglass (although lexan is an all around better product)

like I said most cops just don't know what to look for! usually they won't bother with nit picking things like that unless you have done something to really **** them off....then they will look for things to write you up for!

-cutts-

ramboss429 06-13-2004 12:18 PM

The DOT and the highway patrol run together here, and together they are real *cough* *cough* and like to pick on farmers 24/7 when hauling your crop to the elevator.

ivanribic 06-13-2004 02:19 PM

In Washington the county and city cops don't look for it but the State Patrol will pick apart everything . . . that's their job. Even aftermarket tail light lenses that don't have the DOT stamp on them can send you to the impound yard. Most of the time they won't go that far but I have had to park a vehicle before and come back with a trailer to take it home. Staters can be real Nazi's when they haven't had their morning donut.

Icicle 06-13-2004 04:06 PM

The peoples republic of Washington...Complete with Gestapo

proeliator 06-13-2004 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by ivanribic
Staters can be real Nazi's when they haven't had their morning donut.

The ones here in Oregon aren't too bad, actually. Don't get me started about the ones on your side of the river... :rolleyes:

ivanribic 06-13-2004 05:54 PM

Maybe that's because they live in fear of Superbeast. 8D I have a lot of friends in the Spokane Sheriff's Dept. and several city cop buddies too. They're all cool as could be. Funny thing is even THEY hate the WA State Patrol. Go figure. If I were Bill Gates I'd buy Big Foot and go driving over everything and then just leave the Staters a blank check to pay for the damage. If . . .

proeliator 06-13-2004 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by ivanribic
If . . .

Apparently we have the same fantasies. Thats kinda creepy :-hair

95-F-350-4x4 06-13-2004 07:18 PM

An M-1 Abrahams would be better. :)