Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Nite, Nascar & Other Limited Edition Ford Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum178/)
-   -   93 lightning suspension to 92 nite??? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/248657-93-lightning-suspension-to-92-nite.html)

low92flareside 06-08-2004 01:44 PM

93 lightning suspension to 92 nite???

Looking for some help on this one...I own a 92 Nite, reg cab short bed flareside. Not too far from me I found a wrecked 93 Lightning for sale. My question...I would like to get a mild drop on my 92 Nite, will the lightning suspension components bolt up achieving the 1/2.5 drop from a stock lightning? Side note, I will be swapping the whole rear axle. Those 4.10s and disk brakes are hard to turn down. Thanks.

Ole Blue 06-08-2004 03:00 PM

Let me first say that I don't know for sure if you can do what you want. But I think that since Ford really didn't do anything drastic as far as design changes back in those days you can exchange parts freely. My old 93 Cobra had the same suspension as a 4 cylinder mustang from the factory. Ford just really went for looks and engine performance in the early days of SVT. I am going to say that you can do what you want. The attach points and suspension designs (in general) will most likely be exactly the same. Once again, I'm not for sure about this, but my gut says go for it.

*edit* In the early days of SVT the only vehicle they went all out on was the 93 Cobra R. It was a full on effort for the race package. I believe everything else was an attempt to see what the market is on performance oriented vehicles. Here we are today.....

MustangGT221 06-09-2004 12:28 PM

It'll bolt in I believe...it's still a TTB suspension.

lindsay 06-09-2004 09:21 PM

low92flareside if you do happen to purchase said truck you going to sell anything off of it. i am looking for the gauge set w/120mph on it. let me know. as for the suspension. yes it will bolt up very easily. grab the sway bars also.

low92flareside 06-10-2004 08:25 AM

i'll be sure to let you know of any leftovers, but i'm not sure what'll be left. already planning on taking rims and tires, suspension (including sway bars), rear axle, seats, maybe the rear bumper, power door locks and windows and anything else interesting i find along the way.

lghtningstruk 06-11-2004 05:10 PM

By the way those disk brakes on the rear axle are not factory.

ClemsonLightning 06-12-2004 10:40 PM

struk,
I was thinking the same thing...

southpaw6006 07-11-2004 10:43 AM

hey dude ive done the exactly what ure describing to a 91 nite w/a 93 lightining bolted right up no problem if u switch one componet be sure to switch the rest b/c ive come to understand that each ford is different so good luck

5.8LiterImportEater 07-11-2004 10:44 PM

I would definately say you can do this, but the disc brakes are not stock. Definately switch all the parts, I would only upgrade the bushings right now, and maybe update the engine. You will look like a lightning, but be a bit slower, I would put the power there to back it up. and there are a few really cheap mods that will pick up a few tenths easy.
Chris

dport 07-13-2004 08:58 PM

Sport Truck Magazine tried this with a 94 flareside that was a shop truck and it wouldn't work. One big difference is that the Lightning was built on a 4x4 frame with snow plow front end option to make it more rigid. They gave up when it would not achieve the desired outcome of a homemade Lightning. Some of the parts may bolt on, but will they have the ride effect the Lightning had is doubtful.

96straight6 07-14-2004 01:01 AM

I'm trying to do something similar with my 96. Eibach doeas make a Pro-Kit front spring set that lowers 1" and rear spring shackles that lower 2". The most difficult problem that I'm having is finding the hardware to mount the swaybars with. I've got the brackets and the spring perches for the front but I'm having problems with the rear. Ford has discontinued the rear u-bolts and sway bar brackets that mount on the rear axle housing.

dport 07-14-2004 07:43 AM

It is hard to mix and match regular F150 and Lightning parts. The Lightning was "lowered" by Ford from the start. So the Eibach kit for the Lightning lowers it from there. If you buy the Eibach Lightning kit and install on a regular truck you are not starting from the same place. All the Lightning suspension was slightly different.

96straight6 07-14-2004 08:07 AM

The Eibach kit that I purchased is for a standrad F-150 and not a Lightning. So I should end up at about the same ride height as a stock Lightning. I'll post up with results and measurements once I get it done.