Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum37/)
-   -   Tach Install - 300 I6 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/245533-tach-install-300-i6.html)

Nightrain 05-29-2004 09:12 PM

Tach Install - 300 I6

I bought this tach and I'm waiting on it to arrive right now.Before it gets here,I want to be sure that I know how to install it so I can get it in immediately :D .

It's going to come with four wires,one power source,one ground,one illumination,and one for the tach signal.I have a question about the illumination and the tach signal.

Illumination -
I want the tach to light up as soon as my headlights are on.It doesn't have to come on with the markers...Just the headlights.Which color-coded wire coming out of the headlight switch will I need to splice into for the signal to illuminate my tach?

Tach Signal -
I'm installing this on the F-150 in my signature.Where will I need to put the tach signal wire,(i.e. the distributor,the ignition module,etc.).

Thanks for any insight.

Nightrain

bigreave 05-29-2004 09:22 PM

when i did my i spliced into the main headlight switch for light . For your tach source i ran off the negative side of the coil green wire i think been a whil but mine is a 85

82F100SWB 05-29-2004 10:29 PM

Yup, green(negative) wire coming off the coil is the signal source.
For your lighting, look for a blue wire with red tracer under the dash(there's one going to the light just above the wiper switch) that'll hook you into the dash lighting, dimmer and all.

Nightrain 05-30-2004 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by bigreave
when i did my i spliced into the main headlight switch for light . For your tach source i ran off the negative side of the coil green wire i think been a whil but mine is a 85

Okay,so I run the green wire on the tach to the negative side of the coil?Call me crazy...But which is the neg side of the coil?What color wire will be connected to it?

Originally Posted by 82F100SWB
Yup, green(negative) wire coming off the coil is the signal source.
For your lighting, look for a blue wire with red tracer under the dash(there's one going to the light just above the wiper switch) that'll hook you into the dash lighting, dimmer and all.

So for my lighting source,I'll be looking for a blue wire with a red stripe?That will illuminate the tach when the markers,headlights,hi-beams,etc. are turned on?

Thanks fellas :) .

Nightrain

srercrcr 05-30-2004 07:11 PM

My oem coil says TACH on that terminal. Check it out.

Nightrain 05-30-2004 07:40 PM

I'll look into that.Thanks srercrcr :) .

Nightrain

MontanaFord 06-01-2004 12:19 AM

what exactly does OEM stand for? i see this term used regularly, but am not sure what it stands for...any explanation would be appreciated...

MontanaFord

howler 06-01-2004 12:41 AM

Original Equipment Manufacturer

Nightrain 06-04-2004 11:34 AM

Okay...My tach came in today.I think that I've found the wires for the tach signal,(Green wire on coil),and the illumination,(Blue/Red wire under dash).

But,I have a question about my power and ground wires,(Red and Black).I'm thinking of just running them to the pos and neg side of the battery.Is this a good idea?Or,do I need to find a power wire that only gets juice when the key is turned on?If so,which wire in the fuse box will only have power when the key is turned on?

Thanks for any insight :) .

Nightrain

Nightrain 06-04-2004 03:01 PM

I got my 'ol tach in :D .

It was a simple install.I ran the red wire to the positive side of my battery,the ground to a little ground bolt in the cab,under the radio and A/C-Heater controls,the green wire to the green wire on the coil,and the white wire to the Blue/Red wire.Everything works great,although I haven't been able to check the light in the tach yet.I'll have to wait until it gets dark so I can see it :p .

Thanks alot for the help,as always :D .

Nightrain

bremen242 06-04-2004 06:58 PM

you don't want it to be connected to your battery at the time. It will deaden it. I hooked mine to the radio supply. it is on when you turn the key on.

Nightrain 06-05-2004 12:39 AM

Yeah...I forgot about that.I'll fix it tomorrow.What color is the wire that runs the radio so I'll be able to find it?

Thanks for the advice.

Nightrain

bremen242 06-05-2004 07:47 AM

that I am not sure of. I just slide mine in with the radio fuse. ghetto, but works.