Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ford vs The Competition (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum17/)
-   -   Allison vs. TorqueShift (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/244445-allison-vs-torqueshift.html)

DMAX-HD 05-26-2004 12:35 PM

Allison vs. TorqueShift

Only serious compariosns only please. You can tell by my user name which 1 I prefer but I'm here open-minded and want a serious comparison.

thx to all that participate...

EKUgrad 05-26-2004 02:25 PM

Allison - name and reputation. Several trucks now with high mileage speaks to durability. Better reverse, good for backing heavy trailer up grade. First in the game, market innovator.

TorqueShift - ability to lock TC in all gears, thereby allowing engine braking in all gears. Not certain, but a comparison that I read when it first came out stated that was not the case in the Ally. More evenly distributed forward gear ratio.

ClemsonLightning 05-26-2004 03:10 PM

Too early to tell. And until the Allison and Torqshift have never handled the same power (PS has been stronger since than the DM since the conception of the Torqshift.) We'll just have to see...

eastland2 05-26-2004 06:17 PM

I've towed with both the Allison and the torqshift and the Ford trans was a lot better for towing than the allison. The torqshift has a tow/haul mode that actually works. It downshifts when you slow down and makes it much easier to slow down. Other than that I didn't notice a whole lot of difference.

johnsdiesel 05-26-2004 06:40 PM

I think both are good transmissions and I have personally driven both. The Allison is rather loud for a transmission when shifting though, even more so than the engine.

ak47man 05-26-2004 06:47 PM

Aren't allison transmissions offered in more trucks than just the duramax?

gilraine 05-26-2004 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by ak47man
Aren't allison transmissions offered in more trucks than just the duramax?

yeah, but the post seems to be targeted towards the Allison 1000 in the chevys.

Trail Rider II 05-26-2004 10:19 PM

ALLI. in the M1A1 Abrams tank

M1 Abrams tanks have 4 forward and two reverse Allison trannies in them. The only time I saw any problems with them were filters failed or oil lines broken. 55 gallon for complete fill and 30 on partcial.
Top end Unk.
25 mph in hi-reverse
70 ton's on the M1A1
1500 horse power turbine.

Just some of those trivia notes you may enjoy.
I spent many a cold night curled up on the back deck, i.e. Bitch plate wehre it was warm.

jeb 05-27-2004 09:13 AM

I've owned two Allison 1000's (01 dmax CC PU, 03 Winnebago Workhorse 8.1L) and the TS in my current truck. I think both work great and would take either one in a hearbeat. The TS seems to work better when towing but I'm basing that one on the fact that it holds top gear WAY better than the dmax/ally did when towing through rolling interstates. But that could the extra torque of the 6.0PSD, for all I know.

The TH mode on the Ford was better until the latest re-flash took it away in the top gears. Why did Ford do that? It went from really nice to just so-so with that re-flash.

DMAX-HD 05-27-2004 12:42 PM

Thx to all that have replied. It seems about a horse a piece - both good trannys with a couple variations.

Allison
defuels between shifts

TS
ability to lock TC in all gears

Jeb,
I believe your more correct when say it's the more torque holding the gear.

Trail Rider II,
Cool story!!

johndeisel,
mine to seems very loud when cold.

eastland2,
Tow/Haul and gradebraking do work in the Allison