Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ohio Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum91/)
-   -   Newbie just joined needs help (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/242187-newbie-just-joined-needs-help.html)

OH96F1504X4 05-19-2004 03:15 PM

Newbie just joined needs help

Hi ladies and gentlemen. As the title says I'm a newbie to the forum. Just joined. I need a little help. I've got a 96 F150 4x4 5.0L 5sp with 3.55 gears. I bought it new off the lot and have used and abused it religiously. It's been a great truck. Now with 102K it's starting to get a little tired. It just doesn't have the same umph that it used too. After I wore out the stock tires, I bought a set of 31x10.5x15 tires because I was tired of the smaller ones breaking loose when I gunned it, but I've added nothing else to the truck over the years. Only regular maintenance. Now that I have a new mustang to haul me back and forth to work and such, it's time to put a little extra in my F150 and make it a real toy. The problem is....it's been so long since I've done anything major in the way of serious wrenching, I'm just not sure what's out there in the way of aftermarket parts. The truck is in relatively good condition. Only a little rust on the bottom of the driver's side door. For sure it could use a new exhaust. It has a check engine light showing, which I assume is the O2 sensor and a slight shimmy at 60-65 mph which I assume is a result of seriously worn tires or possible worn shocks. I was thinking of possibly adding a 4 inch lift and headers for a good start. Then some new tires. I'm just not sure where else to go. Anythoughts would be seriously appreciated. Especially with the EFI,

Thanks

F2504x4 05-19-2004 03:47 PM

Hi and Welcome to FTE and the Ohio chapter.

as for your truck, check out the 97-2003 forum, racerguy and lxman1 and others will be glad to help you out. you can go to autozone and they will get the check engine light codes for you,at no charge, write them down and post them. they'll help with figuring out whats wrong.
please read the meeting threads and see if you can join us.

Ray :-wink

p.s. be sure to join the Chapter. on the right side of the page, you will see chapters, click that and then join.

Thanks

OH96F1504X4 05-19-2004 04:01 PM

Thanks for the info

I'm near Columbus. Actually I work in Columbus proper. I'm sure I can attend any meeting in the area.

F2504x4 05-19-2004 04:08 PM

heres a link for the upcoming meeting :-X22

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=240144

biggieou 05-19-2004 09:27 PM

Welcome aboard, it's nice to get some new blood in here!!!

F2504x4 05-19-2004 09:37 PM

:-tap :-tap :-tap

phatcracker 05-19-2004 10:25 PM

It sounds like you may have some tie rod ends starting, if not are, gone bad. That maybe the shimmy you are feeling. It's very common they go bad and not hard to fix. As far as the umph thing that maybe a combination of things, the check engine light being on and the bigger tires. Bigger tires with the gear ratio you have will decrease its launch ablity. It will help you go faster on the highway but it will take you longer to get up to speed. The wider tires will also play havic on tired tie rod ends. Also check the ball joints, there maybe a little play in them but not much. I have a 96 350 4x4 and I have replaced the tie rod ends, I had it aligned and it went out of alighment the next day. I think I may have more problems than just the tie rod ends, I may have a loose axle. I'm going to jack up the truck, this weekend, with front axle suspended and push and pull on it to see if anything moves too much. I have a feeling the connection between the axle and the leaf springs is bad. I'm breaking out the BIG crow bar :-blah :-blah

Eric

Edit: Oh yeah welcome aboard or some like to call it the O.C.

j wright 05-19-2004 11:24 PM

Welcome aboard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I used to have a 78 F-250 4X4 with 12" wide tires and it never stayed aligned, I just figured with all the abuse and additional wear and tear of the wide tires it was normal.
Never had any real trouble with the truck untill the engine fire!!!!!!!!

Stanstruck 05-20-2004 12:27 PM

Welcome!!

Stan

phatcracker 05-20-2004 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by j wright
Welcome aboard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I used to have a 78 F-250 4X4 with 12" wide tires and it never stayed aligned, I just figured with all the abuse and additional wear and tear of the wide tires it was normal.
Never had any real trouble with the truck untill the engine fire!!!!!!!!

I think the real problem with my truck is that has been converted to a dually from a SRW F350. It has these alumunim block thingys with extra long stud bolts on each wheel. :-X18 Not the best system I've seen and I have never seen another conversion kit before or since.

Bruin52 05-21-2004 08:55 AM

Welcome aboard, I'm located over to your right in Zanesville. I work on Ford's for free, well, maybe I'll just charge for refreshments but other than that I'm pretty cheap labor for high quality. If you need any help let me know, perhaps we'll meet at the meeting? Good luck and keep us informed.

Bruin52