Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   Help! I Hit 4,000rpm! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/241878-help-i-hit-4-000rpm.html)

CruisnPhantom 05-18-2004 07:32 PM

Help! I Hit 4,000rpm!

I've had the Predator for over a month now and I mainly bought it for the gas milege differences but today I went full throttle in the 65HP Program and my transmission seemed to stick in first gear and the tachometer went all the way up to 4,000RPM :'( !!!!

I immediatly let off the gas and then it seemed to shift into second. I've noticed funky transmission shifting with the predator compared to stock, mainly gear searching, but this is horrible. How badly hurt is my engine? I love this truck 04 Harley Davidson 250 CC 4x4 3.73LS

ipkyss 05-18-2004 07:34 PM

not at all, the scmt 1704 shifts at 3900 all day long, and isn't red line 4200 anyways?

SpartanDieselTech 05-18-2004 07:36 PM

4000 RPM will do no harm to your engine. With the Superchips programmer, the engine does not shift normally unitl 3900 rpm. The transmission in these trucks can sometimes do erratic things, but IMO if the truck is performing normally now no harm has been done. It is possible that a transmission problem CAUSED the truck to do such, but 4000 rpms will absolutely not hurt the engine. If the truck continues to do so, remove the predator. If it continues after that, take it in for service, but if everything seems normal now, I would just ignore it. Mine does it almost every time i burn out.

CruisnPhantom 05-18-2004 07:55 PM

Thank God, I saw 4,000RPM and nearly shat myself :eek:

If it happens one more time I will immediatly remove the predator after babying it home and I'll go from there. Thanks a lot guys, very glad to hear the R's I hit were not a problem for a diesel engine.

jdadamsjr 05-18-2004 08:20 PM

OK, what you did was freak your truck out and "fooled" the predator...
if you take your running shoes and walk around all the time and then all of a sugged run full out,
I promise "your tranny" will act funky !!!

If it is an adaptive system like has been stated, then it has learned that you never do this and then you do it...

What I would do is ease into it,
(just like you drive a little sedate until the engine warms up each morning...)

Mine shifts perfectly ( but I drive it "rather" hard most of the time...:-)

SBV45 05-18-2004 09:50 PM

As JD said, this tranny is adaptive. It "learns" how you drive. So if you drive around normal for a month and then one day decide to stand on it, the tranny doesn't have a clue what you want it to do. I did the same thing one time with the 65HP program. It was unnerving. The PCM won't let you over rev your engine. Not to worry. As for the tranny drive normal, then more agressive, a little more again and creep up on going full out.

CruisnPhantom 05-18-2004 11:30 PM

Alright thank you guys, I was pretty nervous after seeing my tach go that high I was ready to go inside and grab the programmer for a de-tune but I'll take the tips and apply them to the road. Thanks again

- Jason

jdadamsjr 05-19-2004 07:54 AM

My question is How unsafe is it for you to be looking at the tach when the predator is pushing you back in the seat so much !?!?!?!

I only have time to watch the scenery go by REAL quick !

CruisnPhantom 05-19-2004 12:42 PM

It just happened again :eek:

Its as if it goes into neutral and it won't shift back into gear until your foot is completely off the gas and the RPMs are below 2000. Should I detune and see if it still happens, or reload the program and maybe it'll re-learn the shifting better?

This sucks... :-X16

SBV45 05-19-2004 12:56 PM

I would go back to the performance tune. It will take 5 cold starts and driving around normal for it to shift smoothly. Then start the hard accelerating in a graduated fashion.

jdadamsjr 05-19-2004 01:34 PM

What version of the Predator software do you have???
the latest is r34c and can be found here --> www.diablosport.com

What the hecks wrong with typing in a url ?!?!!?!?

let's try this way

diablosport.com x(

SBV45 05-19-2004 01:37 PM

I have the r34c. I loaded the Tow tune just to see how it acts. The truck runs like it did pre Oct/Dec flashes. But I do notice it takes some "learning" on the part of the tranny. Not a good idea to "get on it" until it has had time to "learn".

jdadamsjr 05-19-2004 01:40 PM

What version of the tuner software do you have ?
r33 gave us more power and perfect shifting,
r34 and r34c gave us a differenet interface...

I would suggest you go to AT least r33....

(When you boot up the tuner, the first screen says the version number at the top)

u can get the updates on line on diablo sports web site at www.diablosport.com

CruisnPhantom 05-19-2004 11:15 PM

I have whatever the newest version is, and it had atleast 20 cold starts to learn the transmission before I got on it.

Earlier today I detuned my truck back to stock, and I will see how that goes. Thanks again Fellas

4174911 05-19-2004 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by CruisnPhantom
Thank God, I saw 4,000RPM and nearly shat myself :eek:

If it happens one more time I will immediatly remove the predator after babying it home and I'll go from there. Thanks a lot guys, very glad to hear the R's I hit were not a problem for a diesel engine.

Wear a diaper and freakin' go for it man and let us know what happens!!!!!!!! Were behind you all the way. You can be the test monkey. Now, take these words as encouragement; not necessarily said with any intelligence.

P.S. i would have Shat myself twice

Goodluck, Richard