Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Colorado Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum81/)
-   -   Need to replace an engine in an F250 ... (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/240511-need-to-replace-an-engine-in-an-f250.html)

Colo_Steve 05-14-2004 04:25 PM

Need to replace an engine in an F250 ...

well ... I bought a 1985 F250 on Tuesday (old, but I thought it wsa in great shape) and seized the engine on Friday. Pretty bummed about that. Did buy it at a dealer, but it was "as is" so I'm sure they don't care.

So ...

1. If I decide not to put in a junkyard motor myself, anyone know of any good shops inthe Denver area to install a Junkyard motor? I could do it, but my time is really limited right now and I want this truck for the spring.

2. Since I'm switching the engine out, should I consider something different? Like an engine with fuel injection since I off-road/drive it in the mountains so much? (wonder how that would work with emissions testing).

The truck had been running great, so I tuned it up last night and decided to drive it into Colorado Springs today.

coming up over the hill to the springs suddenly I lost power. It was a climb, but I was alone in a truck with a 460 and I couldn't figure out why. When I checked the temp gauge (which I had been checking regularly, BTW) it was pegged on Hot.

I managed to glide to a stop in the rest area North of Monument hill as it conked out, and that was the last time it ran. Starter won't turn it over at all, and while I will check to see if I can turn it manually this weekend, I'm guessing it's seized.

Bummer. But on the other hand, being as it's overall in good shape for it's age, and I paid about half as much as I had planned to spend on a truck, it's probably worth putting in a junkyard motor.

Thanks!

Steve (loser truck buyer) W.

Mike G 05-20-2004 03:00 PM

Man that does surely bite!

As far as your situation... A yard motor can be purchased for about $150 running (or $75 out of the yard and you pull it). Check out Colorado Auto and Parts in Englewood if you are inclined. You can also purchase a remanned motor for say $1000 at your favorite parts store in town. I would chek out the news paper and like the Tom Martino web site for recommendations. I have heard bad things about Ryan Engine Exchange, but don't know their work from experience.

Just $.02 --Mike

TRNITUP 05-21-2004 09:08 AM

Well, how strong are you?

Pull-N-Save is having a great sale this weekend.

http://www.pullnsave.com/weekendspecials.htm

$30 for whatever you can carry ten feet. I know it'd be tough, but if you removed enough stuff, ten feet of pain is well worth the money you could save.

As for shops...

One of my best friends works at a shop up in Westminster called Stang Auto Tech. www.stangautotech.com His name is Brian and he is the service advisor. I don't know what exactly they can/can't do, but I know he is extremely honest, and has referred me elsewhere a few times when there were better equipped shops to do what I've been looking for.

The guy who lives across the street from me owns a place called Keep Kool. It's in the neighborhood of 80th and Washington. I know they do pretty much everything but body work, but don't have any personal experience with them. I know he has to be a halfway good guy, as he drives a Super Duty Crew Cab with quite a few mods, so at least he's a Ford guy.

Colo_Steve 05-21-2004 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by TRNITUP
Well, how strong are you?

Pull-N-Save is having a great sale this weekend.
$30 for whatever you can carry ten feet. I know it'd be tough, but if you removed enough stuff, ten feet of pain is well worth the money you could save.

Although I am capable of carrying a 460 for 10 feet, the bylaws of the Justice League forbid me from showing my abilities for personal gain 8D .

I like Pull-N-Save, but last weekend they didn't have any 460's that would work. I am thinking in terms of going rebuilt, anyway, just trying to find the right one.

Thanks everyone for your help! I'm thinking more and more towards putting in the replacement myself (I know I can do it, and could use the $$ savings) but now I have to find the engine.

Although there are a few online, by the time core is included (since I can't return mine) and shipping and etc. they are getting up toward $2000.

Hopefully I'll find a local source today or early next week. REALLY want to get this beast back on the road, so I can get some camping done this summer.

Colo79Ford 05-21-2004 11:44 PM

I dont know if you want to go 460 only again, or if you would be interested in a 400 for your truck..I live in clear creek county, 45 miles west of denver, and have a 400 i just pulled today out of my 79 ford truck i am looking to get rid of, it took a dive on me on my way to work this week, i bought a 429 for it, only to find out the problem was that a valve in the pass. side head came dis-attached from the spring in the head...so thats why i am looking to get rid of it, it is a strong motor, and if all it needs is a valve job, it would be simple, if i already didnt have my other motor at the shop being re-built for it, if you are interested, or know anyone who is, send me a message thru my contact info here on FTE and we can be in touch by means of phone or e-mail...good luck, and have fun...
---JOHN

Colo_Steve 05-22-2004 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by Colo79Ford
I dont know if you want to go 460 only again, or if you would be interested in a 400 for your truck..I live in clear creek county, 45 miles west of denver, and have a 400 i just pulled today out of my 79 ford truck ...

Wished I would have talked to you a couple of days ago ...

Right now, though, I have a motor on order. I did decide to go 460 again, and I think overall it's the right choice. If I'd known there was an alternative, though, I might have juped on that.

Thanks for responding, though! Hopefully I'll be seeing you around when I'm driving my truck again.

Colo79Ford 05-22-2004 01:23 AM

Always a day late, and a dollar short, but good to hear you are getting a new motor, good choice with the 460 though...My 429 might be a Cobra Jet..i have to do some casting number checking when i get it back though...But i will see you on the trails...
---JOHN