Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   breaking in the 6.0L (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/239418-breaking-in-the-6-0l.html)

Beachbumcook 09-07-2005 07:58 AM

I am very confused on the whole break-in question and why so many questions....

1) Start truck and let it idle for a minute or two - to warm up and circulate oil

2) When driving avoid harsh start-ups and ease through exceleration.

3) Max RPM's at 70mph is around 2,100 RPM's, so there is no reason to worry about red-lines.

4) When done driving, let motor cool down for a minute and several minutes after being at highway speeds.

5) Do not tow for the first 500 miles (book says) I would say until 1,000 or first oil change.

6) Use a good quality dino or synth oil rated at 15W-40 and is CI4+ rated. Use your own judgement is you want dino or synth. SOme say not to use synth until 10,000 miles or so (everyone has an opinion... use your own).

7) Change first oil at 3,000 miles or before, second at 3,000 miles again and then every 5,000 there after - with CI4+ rated oil and Racor or Motorcraft oil filter.

8) Allow truck to operate as it was inteneded and running a little fast or hot for a short period of time will not hurt anything. These motors are not bullet-proof, but they are made to "work" and do for the majority of us.

p.s. - Upon buying mine in 2003, I drove for 2 days from Florida to Kansas City at 70mph (followed above points) and have no problems... and now have 56,800 miles on the truck!!!

Good luck and don't worry about it.

Jeff

johnsdiesel 11-21-2005 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Tim Lamkin
Where have you been John?
Everything OK

Hey Tim. :-wink I've been real busy this past year. I'm working on a PhD right now and school has consumed a lot of what used to be "free time."

Customz 11-21-2005 08:14 PM

I'm on my 2nd breakin. I'm using Diesel Kleen since day one, varying speed until 1,500 miles. I will change the oil @ 1,500 and 5,000. I will try to put a load on it soon and tow it around but doubt I'll get around to it. I am not going to let it idle as much as the 04 did. I unplugged the EGR. It will break in as you drive it.

Ruser 12-22-2005 09:06 PM

Great to find this information before break mine in! I've always had a fear of improper break in on new engines then having to live with it.

nunc6.0 09-06-2006 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by johnsdiesel
Thanks Tim.

Here's another comment I thought might be helpful from Blackstone:

How long will it take for my new engine to break in?

Different types of engines will take different amounts of time to break in. A small gasoline engine may take anywhere from 3,000-6,000 miles, while a larger diesel engine may take between 12,000-35,000 miles. Expect to see high wear, silicon, and sometimes fuel, until the wear-in period has passed. We consider an engine past break-in when wear and silicon have dropped down to average levels.

I know mileage has been an issue with the 6.0 PSD, but I wonder how many of you complaining about low MPG haven't fully broken in your engine yet. I know my father's 7.3 PSD increased MPG up until about 30K miles.

My 6.0 has 2000 mi. on it and I have loaded it about 60% of the time with 4500lb. trailer. some stop and go. I have not really opened it up but I have pulled some short steep hills and I do let it warmup good before I go anywhere with it. Any more advice would help. Thank you.

laredo7mma 09-06-2006 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by nunc6.0
My 6.0 has 2000 mi. on it and I have loaded it about 60% of the time with 4500lb. trailer. some stop and go. I have not really opened it up but I have pulled some short steep hills and I do let it warmup good before I go anywhere with it. Any more advice would help. Thank you.

I would follow what Beachbumcook said in post #46. I think the 35,000 mile breakin that blackstone mentioned was when you would see decreased levels of metal in the engine oil. I typically consider breakin done by 5000 miles. The diesels in our trucks won't be fully "Loosened up" until 20 to 40K miles.

I think after 5000 miles the rings are seated and she is good to go and drive it like normal, but expect to see some fuel mileage increase as the miles pile on. Well, the rings may not be fully seated, but driving like normal past 5000 miles (as opposed to some breakin procedure) will take it the rest of the way without detrimental effects. It probably does take 40 to 60K for peak cyclinder pressures to be developed.

Odge 09-06-2006 10:33 PM

I had just under 900 miles on my 07 Outlaw when I hooked up my 35' 5er and took it on a 180 mile round trip weekend excursion. Drove it like I had an egg under my foot most of the way. I could here the fan come on so I know it warmed up but I didn't see any fluctuation on the temp needle. I got 10.34 mpg for the tank, that is combined loaded and unloaded.

thelawman 09-28-2006 01:18 PM

How about driving with transmission in tow/haul mode? Maybe this also will help with varied engine speeds since it uses the engine for braking, at least on my 07.

killaford 09-28-2006 06:59 PM

i been drivin' it like i stole it since the day i brought it home. :-D

i think the key is in heat cycling.

oh ya, changed the oil at 750 too. LOTS of metal. :-X22

killaford 12-22-2006 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by slc10844
I dump the factory fill at 500-1000 miles and refill with dino. Next oil change is 1500 miles later and synthetic is used from there on. One school of thought is, if you use synthetic in a new engine it won't break-in properly. But, GM uses Mobil 1 in the Corvette as factory fill.

these are not corvettes my freind!

Royal PurpleŽ recommends waiting until the manufacturer's first scheduled oil change or a minimum of 2,000 miles in new gasoline engines before using Royal PurpleŽ. Allow 8,000 to 10,000 miles before use in diesel engines.

J.T. Guitar 08-05-2008 08:38 AM

2009 incoming...

Great thread right before a new truck delivery!

cfvwd 10-10-2011 08:31 PM

Diesel and other engine break in

At the farm quipment dealer I worked for and in the aviation industery the standard peocedure for break in was to run the engine for a few nimuites to check for leaks and then on to the dyno at full rated power for min 2Hrs or in the case of an aircraft piston engine full take of power for 2 Hrs plus 75% min for next 10Hrs.
So I would think if you have a trailer load to pull then get to it as soon as you can after start to check for leaks.
Chuck