Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   breaking in the 6.0L (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/239418-breaking-in-the-6-0l.html)

locked up 05-13-2004 02:03 PM

One more John diesel

Thanks for the reply. Just wondered if getting it up to 65 then coasting back to 35 would get me the needed difference. Would make for a weird drive ,but if it will do that I will drive it back like that.I think that would be similiar to the parking lot. Please advise.. Will definately stop a few times.Thanks again

SBV45 05-13-2004 02:17 PM

That will get u pulled over by the troopers.

johnsdiesel 05-13-2004 02:24 PM

I wouldn't drop the speed that much. If the speed limit is 65, drive 65 for a while, then 55, then 60, etc. I think the key, at least according to the article, is to vary speeds and not drive 65 MPH for 400 miles straight. Also, they recommend keeping the engine in the peak area of the torque curve. Peak torque for the 6.0 is 2000 RPM, so keeping RPM below 2000 seems to be the way to go. You can also manually downshift the transmission when you are stopping. Resist the urge to gun it!

If you follow what it says in this article it will be interesting to compare the mileage and performance with other new 6.0 owners.

Daryl Hunter 05-13-2004 02:57 PM

When I was breaking in my truck I took it for a nice 350 mi loop from Carlsbad, down through Borrego Springs to Palm Desert, back up to Idyllwild, and back down to Carlsbad. Some nice highway driving with enough turns that you got the chance to slow down and speed up quite a bit.

There were also some hills to help put a light load on the motor. As I was driving down the long straight level sections, I would periodically roll on some throttle and do a reasonably hard acceleration from 55 up to 75 or so and then let it ease back down to 55 or less and run there for a bit.

You need to do more than just vary the engine speed, it needs a bit of load here and there to help seat the rings.

johnsdiesel 05-13-2004 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by darylhunter

You need to do more than just vary the engine speed, it needs a bit of load here and there to help seat the rings.

darylhunter, agreed. If you read the article they discuss this and just about everything you could ever think of.

Daryl Hunter 05-13-2004 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by johnsdiesel
darylhunter, agreed. If you read the article they discuss this and just about everything you could ever think of.

I did read it. I also wanted to give Locked Up a bit of anecdotal background that was a bit less dry than the article.

khmorse 05-13-2004 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by locked up
Thanks for the reply. Just wondered if getting it up to 65 then coasting back to 35 would get me the needed difference. Would make for a weird drive ,but if it will do that I will drive it back like that.I think that would be similiar to the parking lot. Please advise.. Will definately stop a few times.Thanks again

How about finding a state hwy to run on a bit on your way home. That will give you some towns to go through w/red lights & increasing/decreasing speeds.

johnsdiesel 05-13-2004 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by darylhunter
I did read it. I also wanted to give Locked Up a bit of anecdotal background that was a bit less dry than the article.

:-X22 :-X22 :-X22 :-X22 :-X22 :-X22

locked up 05-14-2004 06:15 AM

Thanks

Guys, thanks for all the replies. I was getting worried that the drive would be bad but you have made me feel better. Might actually be a good way to break it in. Can't wait till it arrives. Will be a while though, the order was placed the last day for 04 250's
Thaks again

Beachbumcook 05-25-2004 09:30 PM

Get the factory oil out as soon as possible... word is that it is 10W-30 weight oil and this is to low a viscosity for towing, let alone NOT towing due to high wear/breakdown factors of the 6.0L motor.

Below are the comments from my latest Blackstone Lab report (oil analysis)... Makes for interesting reading!!!

COMMENTS FROM OIL REPORT OF MY MOTOR...

JEFF: The viscosity in this sample did improve a little over your last sample, although it is still slightly low for a 15W/40 oil. We have been finding that the 6.0L Power Stroke is notorious for shearing down the oil's viscosity. Most of the samples we see from these engines have a lower viscosity, regardless of the brand of oil. We don't think your viscosity is a problem at all, as it is reading in a 30W range. No fuel, coolant, or water contamination was found, and insolubles were low, showing good oil filtration. This looks like a very nice wearing engine at 22,100 miles.

Good luck - we all need it,

Jeff

Ducster1 06-08-2004 02:51 AM

I too had to drive my New 04 F250 PSD 4x4 approx 500 mile back home. I was not aware of how to properly break in the motor. On the Lariat I have the mpg gauge and I noticed approx 250 miles of driving my MPG was dropping. I started at 17.4 hwy and 250 miles down the road it was at 16.9 hwy. I now have 5100 miles and getting 16.8 hwy. Driving around town it drops to 15.4. Could I still use the breaking in methods on this engine?

IB Tim 06-08-2004 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Ducster1
I too had to drive my New 04 F250 PSD 4x4 approx 500 mile back home. I was not aware of how to properly break in the motor. On the Lariat I have the mpg gauge and I noticed approx 250 miles of driving my MPG was dropping. I started at 17.4 hwy and 250 miles down the road it was at 16.9 hwy. I now have 5100 miles and getting 16.8 hwy. Driving around town it drops to 15.4. Could I still use the breaking in methods on this engine?

No need for anymore break in, run it as you will drive it from now on.

al125 06-28-2004 01:03 AM

A good friend of mine been a diesel truck driver for over thirty-five years. I had this same problem about mpg for the 6.0. I was talking to him about the low mpg for my truck, he told any diesel engine won't start getting good mpg until after 30,000 miles, that's what he has discovered over the 35 year driving diesels. :-X06

IB Tim 06-28-2004 06:49 AM

This has been true many time with the 7.3.

ridn98hd 06-29-2004 05:40 AM

Tim,
At a crossroad here. As you know, Ford just replaced my '03 with an '04. I've heard here and from other people that you shouldn't do any towing with this 6.0 psd for the 1st. 1000 miles or so to let the engine break in. I have not quite 500 miles on mine but we have reservations to go camping this weekend and it's too late to cancel. It's an '04 F350 cc dually 4x4 and will be pulling a 34' 8500lb. travel trailer on mostly back roads on this trip about 60 miles or so. I'll probably have 500miles on it by the time we leave. do you feel it will be ok or am I setting myself up for something later. Thanks for any help. Steve