Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2004 - 2008 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum24/)
-   -   Slight clunk/jerk at takeoff (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/238943-slight-clunk-jerk-at-takeoff.html)

baja_stx 05-09-2004 11:28 PM

Slight clunk/jerk at takeoff

2004 F-150 4X4 Lariat SCAB 3.73LS

Just have nearly 700 miles now. I cold me nit-picking, but I've been noticing a slight clunk in the driveline when I takeoff from a dead stop. I can't tell if it's coming from the rear end, transmission, or driveshaft. It does NOT feel like trans shudder though... thankfully.

Has anyone else had this issue and have any of you had it repaired? If I had to guess I'd say it was the driveshaft slip yoke, but I'm not positive.

eyounger 05-10-2004 07:45 AM

My truck had a "shudder" on take off. Happened only if the truck had been sitting for a while.
I took it to Planet Ford where BJ had it checked out. Turns out my clutch packs needed to be replaced.
BTW my 04 has 6200 miles on it.

NC Sean 05-10-2004 08:07 AM

Baja stx,
I had the same clunk when I took off from a dead stop. I took it to the dealership and they greased the slip yoke due to the fact that it was not properly greased at the factory. The service manager also said it is a common problem. I have not had anymore problems since.

Jim Brock 05-10-2004 08:34 AM

Is there a TSB for the slip yoke?

WhiteNight 05-10-2004 12:48 PM

It's the slip yoke.I just got mine done saturday.Cured the problem.There is a tsb,look back in this form.

basstardo 05-10-2004 01:02 PM

Just to give you guys a heads up, this is a problem the Super Duties have been having for a while as well. If there isn't a TSB, just drop the shaft and grease the slip yoke. Takes about 20 minutes. Just be sure to set your parking brake and chock the tires. A few guys have almost been run over by their own trucks!

Terry

reg123 06-23-2004 10:36 PM

What Type Of Grease For This Slip Yoke?..my Truck Does This Clunk Also Now..1000 Miles On It...

basstardo 06-24-2004 08:25 AM

Use regular grease you would use to pack bearings with. I just bought a can of high temp grease that was made for Ford vehicles, Valvoline brand I think. I coated the splines on the driveshaft real good and put everything back together and zero clunk at this point.

Terry

WhiteNight 06-24-2004 04:45 PM

I thought ford recommended a silicon grease, and yes there is a tsb.Mine has been done, problem solved.

scottb1014 06-24-2004 04:52 PM

God this ****es me off. I am taking my truck in for the 3rd time this Monday over this issue. They couldnt find the problem,

OMG

rjs1521 06-25-2004 10:03 AM

i'm getting the same rumble on take off when the truck has been sitting overnite. I have felt the clunk on occasion but credited it to our finely manicured roadways here in New Jersey. I'll besetting up an appointment next week for replacement of the clutch packs and a lil lube on the slip yoke.

mwh 07-07-2004 07:53 PM

about how often does a slip-yoke need to be greased on these '04 f-150's.(this is assuming it was done properly at the factory). i have never been bothered by anything like this on any of my previously owned vehicles (they weren't fords). why now?

garymake 09-07-2004 01:06 PM

Between this topic and one other in the '04 - '05 F150 forum, three types of grease have been specified for the drive shaft splines - high temp wheel bearing grease, silicone grease and teflon grease....

anyone know for a fact which is the correct grease to use?

My unofficial poll of the various entries in multiple topics dealing with rear end clunk seems to find that the majority of folks that have taken it to the dealership to get the splines greased are saying that the dealership used teflon grease.

Please let us know the source of your information if you post an answer so that we can separate fact from opinion...

Fcal 09-07-2004 04:20 PM

Just got mine back from the dealer last Friday. they greased the slip yoke and replaced the clutch pack in the LS differential. There are 2 TSB's for this problem. The Shudder after sitting overnight is the Clutch Pack and the clunk on acceleration is the slip yoke. Dealer did both with no questions on the first visit.

I was stunned.

The TEFLON Grease is the one they used on my truck. Straight from the service manager's mouth. Also on my repair receipt.

jrog23 09-07-2004 10:48 PM

did this noise start happening from the very beginning of you owning your trucks?