Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum168/)
-   -   biodiesel ????? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/23356-biodiesel.html)

larbuck 08-18-2002 04:22 PM

biodiesel ?????

has any one ever heard of this stuff if you go to www.greasel.com it has a PSD running on it i was fust courious if any one has ever did this conversion and how did it work

If you want to run your diesel engine on alternative fuel, and want a simple alternative to Biodiesel, The Greasel conversion kit is for you.

The Greasel conversion kit is a ready-to-install kit that will allow you to run any diesel on free waste vegetable oil. The key to running a diesel on vegetable oil is heat. This is done by a special tank and fuel line, heated with the hot coolant your engine is already producing. The engine is started and brought up to temperature on regular diesel. When the engine and tank of vegetable oil is warm you simply flip a switch on your dashboard. The fuel solenoid switches you from diesel to vegetable oil and suddenly you're going down the road for free! Furthermore, there is no power loss, a cleaner exhaust, and a better lubricated engine! About 5 minutes before you get to your destination, switch back to diesel to clear the injection pump and fuel lines of vegetable oil.

The Diesel Dude 08-18-2002 06:04 PM

biodiesel ?????

Does your exhaust smell like french fries?

craterjoe 08-18-2002 08:54 PM

biodiesel ?????

there is a big push up her in minnesota for biodiesel but rather than vegi oil it is more specifically soybean oil and I have heard reports that state that it doesnt take any special hardware and works just the same as regular fuel. And I can state from personal experience that it does remind you of going by a fast food restaraunt. My former employer was involved in the testing of the stuff when they were first getting the bugs worked out and I didn't notice any difference except for the french fry cravings.

b.T.W. The Diesel Dude I filled the fuel tank on the f250 today and the idle surge stopped. there must be an air suck in the fuel tank

Craterjoe

Saigon 08-19-2002 01:26 AM

biodiesel ?????

Hi,
Where I live , Chateauroux- France, all the local buses run on colza oil. No special mods on the engines except some additives in the winter to avoid congealing. I havent tried it in my truck yet since we cant find it at the pumps in town but we should have it in 2003.

Magic

Oo.

curmudgeon 08-19-2002 11:22 AM

biodiesel ?????

Two of the unresolved issues with biofuels are increased corrosion and wear of injection system components, and some of the polymers and elastomers used in fuel systems are incompatible, i.e. they either swell, harden, or break down. No bolt-on "system" for the use of biofuels addresses these rather serious problems. The only successful long-term biofuel conversions I know of involved changing every seal and o-ring in the system to special resistant materials. The "Greasel" system you describe might work well in mild climates on an older IDI engine with plenty of additives. How far would you have to drive to re-melt an entire tank of gelled fuel in freezing weather? I hope somebody is working on these problems - I've been waiting for this for years.

ybiofuels 08-19-2002 06:00 PM

biodiesel ?????

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 19-Aug-02 AT 07:03 PM (EST)]Well, it seems like there is some misinformation out there with regards to biodiesel.

Corrosion is not a problem! Biodiesel has a higher lubricity than petro diesel and actually extends engine life.

Gelling is not a problem unless you are in a climate where below 25 F is common, in which case anti-gels work just fine, or you can mix with petro diesel.

It seems people are confusing biodiesel with vegetable oil. Vegetable oil use in engines has some major problems- the type you've discussed. Biodiesel is not vegetable oil. It has been chemically thinned so that it is almost exactly the same as diesel fuel in nearly every category. I have been using it for quite some time in my 1984 mercedes station wagon as well as my 1990 7.3 liter F250, and it does just fine. Yes, it wears down rubber parts a bit faster than petro-diesel, but that just means that when i notice degradation (nothing ever breaks or bursts in mine or any other local biodieselers' experience), i replace with synthetics, i.e. silicone, teflon, viton, etc. Biodiesel REQUIRES NO CONVERSION (the greasel kit is for using straight vegetable oil- not biodiesel) and can be mixed with diesel in any amount. It is actually good for your engine- its solvent nature and high lubricity keep the fuel system clean and the engine running smooth. It also has a high cetane value and way less emissions. e-mail ybiofuels@sbcglobal.net for more info.

thanks.

FordRancher 08-20-2002 11:32 PM

biodiesel ?????

The biodiesel that is becoming available on the market is a blend with regular diesel. The article I read about it said it is most commonly used as 2% biodiesel with reg. diesel, but is is also available as 5% and 20%, but the costs are to high at those blends to justify it. From what I understand though, it isn't available at the station pumps yet, maybe that was just for the region. This was a farm publication and they said it was being delivered to some farmers and small fleet trucks were using it, such as postal carriers. They were claiming that a 1% mixture of biodiesel is 65% more lubrication than normal diesel. They did warn that it is a strong solvent and if you get any on your paint you need to wipe it off right away or it will eat the paint. The farmers they intereviewed claimed they couldn't see a power difference or economy difference, but that their older tractors did not smoke as much. The experts claim a slight reduction in power and economy however.

I hope this adds to somebody's knowledge and that I can learn more. I like the sounds of biodiesel from what I've read, but I'm kinda skeptic because of the claims of ethanol also and I know of some problems with it and wouldn't run it. Later :)

z1express 08-22-2002 08:47 PM

biodiesel ?????

I live in southeastern Michigan an have run the BioDiesel in my 2000 stroker. The blend I used was 20%, and it was 15cents a gallon more tha regular diesel. I felt in my truck that power increased slightly (maybee it was the fresh wash job) And the engine ran smoother and quieter. The fuel mileage stayed the same at 18.6 mpg,as I run typically the same 500 miles a week. I was out back sniffing the exhaust:-rip and did not smell any french fry odors. Seems like a good product but to expensive.

Quadzilla 09-06-2002 06:55 AM

biodiesel ?????

mtnbikerman 09-07-2002 06:34 AM

biodiesel ?????

I live to far from it But as soon as I get my Excursion and the warranty runs out I will be buying it and having it shipped to me does anybody know what Fords stance is on Biodiesel?
Thanks

hitecdan 09-07-2002 11:19 AM

biodiesel ?????

I read somewhere that their were some compatibility issues with biodiesels and some engine designs, mainly the injectors. Some diesel engines can run biodiesel okay, while others will need some major mods or won't run the stuff at all. Not sure which category Ford's PSD fits into.

FordRancher 09-07-2002 03:56 PM

biodiesel ?????

It seems to me like I heard that the newer model diesels would work on biodiesel and the manufacturers would cover the warranty. But I don't remember for sure and if it was all U.S. manufacturers or just some of them. I don't know if 100% would work though because it is such a stout solvent it'd probably eat through seals rather quick. That is why the didn't recommend it for older models is because the seals aren't as tight on the fuel system or something like that. I guess I need to do some more checking. I'm kind of interested in it but it sounds like the price will probably be going up since the grain markets have been up all week, but I'm not sure what the soybean market has been up. Later.

ymmv 10-11-2005 03:58 PM

I don't know that I like the complications of running cooking oil, but you've got to appreciate the photo they put together for their Web site. www.greasel.com