Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Texas Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum96/)
-   -   Texas Help End Auto Theft (HEAT) program (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/233054-texas-help-end-auto-theft-heat-program.html)

propellerhead 04-22-2004 10:50 PM

Texas Help End Auto Theft (HEAT) program

Has anyone here registered for that HEAT program where you register your vehicle, get a decal, and give the cops authorization to stop the vehicle between 1:00 AM and 5:00 AM to verify the driver is the owner?

I was thinking about registering my car but I wanted to get a little feedback from the user community out there.

subliminaldanger 04-23-2004 08:52 PM

I would do that but the constables in my area love nothing more than to harass teenagers like me and that would just give them another reason to pull me over after i leave work.

Munkey 04-24-2004 01:31 AM

We've got it on our '04 Thunderbird. I'm always taking it for late night cruises downtown, been tailed by many cops, but never been pulled over once. I did have a State Trooper follow me most of the way home though. . .I wish he'd just have stopped me and gotten it over with, it was kinda nerve racking.

We did get the free VIN etching out of the deal though :rolleyes:

Fordication 04-24-2004 07:34 PM

Hell that is just asking for a DWI. Ed

faroffthetrack 04-24-2004 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Fordication
Hell that is just asking for a DWI. Ed

Shouldn't be doing that any way :-X19

ol yeller 04-25-2004 08:08 PM

RU Kiddin

My ol 66 was ripped off and I had to locate it. Afterward it took the police 3 hrs to get there. In Dallas County you don't want the police to pull you over. Anytime day or night. We have that police brutality thing goin on up here.

propellerhead 04-26-2004 08:00 AM

It sounds like it's more trouble than it's worth. I've had a a truck, van, jeep and a SUV. Everything I've driven was pretty tame. Now that I drive a Mustang, I'd rather not have a cop follow me like that. I've outgrown speeding and I never have anything illegal in my possession or in my car, but I don't think it's worth the hassle.

If my car is stolen, then it's gone. I guess I'll have to rely on the insurance and that stoopid gap insurance to kick in. If they recover the car and it's not quite the same, I guess it would be a good reason to trade-in for a new one.

Thanks all.

ford4life69 05-15-2004 04:59 PM

i thought about it becuz i just got the first truck that i paid for myself and i don't know what i'd do without it. my sister had a car stolen in Phoenix but that's cuz she ain't to bright about things like that. vehicular theft isn't that big a problem up here, and the few that are stolen are usually found across the street from the most recent bank robbery (which is a VERY common passtime right now.) for the most part over here, if you've got something in the truck you don't want stolen, lock it up, lock it down, or take it inside with you becuz that stuff is fair game to those jerks.

i get pulled over enough as it is and if i go dancing some night, i don't wanna be hassled on my way home cuz i've got a bit of a lead foot and an inaccurate speedometer so i'm asking for it anyway. ;-)

occupant 05-15-2004 10:55 PM

If it includes VIN etching, sounds like a heck of a deal. I'm very rarely out after 11pm, and the times I am it's because I'm on an after hours delivery.

for my Buick, definitely, I need it for work, someone takes that car and I'm out of a job unless I want to drive the truck and spend $30 a day in gas...

for my truck...maybe after I finish making it all nice and worth stealing LOL...

subliminaldanger 05-15-2004 11:21 PM

there is no VIN etching. I decided to put it on my truck and deal with the hassles of local cops for the added protection. They send you 2 stickers, one for the front and one for the back. Then you have to call the number given to acitivate it in their system.

13MWZ 05-16-2004 11:12 PM

I have my '66 Mustang in the HEAT program. My lil sister also has her truck in it.

propellerhead 05-18-2004 08:19 AM

I wish the sticker wasn't so fugly though.

13MWZ 05-20-2004 11:30 PM

Yea, I realy hate having stickers on my Mustang. Between those stickers and the DOD sticker for Ft Hood it really takes away from the look of a nice car. :-X01

ford4life69 05-21-2004 12:52 AM

i'll get a picture of my old 85 and show'em to ya .. they gave her a personality but also showed mine ;-) gotta have the 'tude ..haha

13MWZ 05-21-2004 01:04 PM

Yea, window stickers or bumper stickers. But I'm sayin the HEAT and DOD stickers are fugly. And expecialy on a classic car.