Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   What does this symbol mean?? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/23231-what-does-this-symbol-mean.html)

Brian02350 10-03-2002 10:11 AM

What does this symbol mean??

I have a 02 350 PSD and am getting a symbol of a gastank, with water sprinkles coming up on the dash, ans its not low on fuel. It comes on everyonce and awhile. 9000 miles on truck. I lost my diesel supplement manual for the truck and it says nothing about it in the regular owners manual. I believe it has something to do with the fuel system. How to fix and what does it mean. Should I take it to the dealer? Thanks..Brian

harryball 10-03-2002 10:24 AM

Water in Fuel?

Johncos 10-03-2002 10:52 AM

That must mean, water in your fuel system. According to my PSD supplemental, you must stop the engine and drain immediately. Find your fuel filter, and flip the little yellow drain cock clockwise, I believe. Do this will the engine is running. Count to 10 and flip it back.

Scotte 10-03-2002 01:36 PM

>That must mean, water in your fuel system. According to my
>PSD supplemental, you must stop the engine and drain
>immediately. Find your fuel filter, and flip the little
>yellow drain cock clockwise, I believe. Do this will the
>engine is running. Count to 10 and flip it back.

My 01 7.3 Liter Power Stroke Owner's Guide Supplement is much different than what you state above. It states:
1. Stop the vehicle and SHUT OFF the engine.
***The vehicle must be stopped with the engine off when draining the fuel filter/water seperator.***
It goes on to state later:
***Allow to drain for approximately 25 seconds or until clean fuel is observed.***

Johncos 10-03-2002 01:52 PM

You're correct about the instructions in the supplemantal, but I just drain the filter with the motor running. That way I do not have to fill the fuel filter back up with diesel fuel. I would not recommend just trying to start your engine after draining the fuel filter as my supplemantal suggests.
If you do drain it with the engine running, do it when you first start up your truck and the engine is nice and cold.

Brian02350 10-03-2002 02:05 PM

I found the manuel and it states while truck is off and cool. Do you think it will hurt it to drive it for 150 miles after. It only flashes once and awhile and does not saty on is this how it works or is it just intermitangly flashing because its close. Then stays on when is totally full? Should you replace the fuel filter at the same time. What is the best fuel filter and where to get it. Or does it not matter brand. Also what other maintenece at 10,000 miles?? I will obviously go by the owners manuel, but curious if you guys did anything extra or diffrent.. Thanks Brian

Scotte 10-03-2002 02:14 PM

Not trying to be argumentative, just stating my opinions and observations. My engine starts right off after draining, maybe the electric fuel pump refilling the fuel filter/water separator. I have never had a problem restarting and I do not manually refill the separator. I drain the water separator several times a month as a PM and have never seen the Water In Fuel light come on, other than when the key is turned on at start up. I also have drained while the engine was running with no problem. I just wanted to highlight proper procedure per the book. Cheers.

Aaron S 10-04-2002 01:45 AM

You are correct. The electric fuel pump fills the filter housing back up. Its probably good to let the pump cycle a couple of times to make sure it is full. The older diesels had mechanical lift pumps so you had to manually fill the filter while draining it or changing it.
Aaron.

2001 F250 PSD 6-SPD 4x4 SCMT Banks Monster Exhaust EGT, Boost, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp/Trans Temp Gauges

The Diesel Dude 10-04-2002 05:13 PM

mrblack 10-05-2002 04:09 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 05-Oct-02 AT 05:09 PM (EST)]take it back to the freakin' dealer... let them deal with it...:-X06

Quadzilla 10-05-2002 10:32 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 05-Oct-02 AT 11:34 PM (EST)]Brian02350-
The best fuel filter for your truck is the Racor, available through Diesel Injection Service. I typically change my fuel filter on every third oil change, or about 10k miles.
I hope this helps.