Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Michigan Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum85/)
-   -   Lift law (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/222370-lift-law.html)

KaaYooN 03-26-2004 03:38 AM

Lift law

Well i got pulled over bout a week ago or so. The weigh master pulled out his tape measure....So the law is this or this is what he told me. This is front and rear bumbers...From the bottom of your bumber to the ground should be no more than 30 inches. Then he said from the bottom of your frame to the ground should be no more than 26 inches. Thats on the lowest part of your frame. I have a 99 F250 so he measured about under my front door area. He told me i had 14 days to fix. I paid the $120 fine.
Front bumber--49 inches
Rear bumber---40 inches
Frame-- 29 1/2 inches

Just thought i would pass the information

nex813 03-26-2004 06:37 PM

Thanks for the info. I had a problem like that way back when I was in High School. I had an old 71 Cutlass and got pulled over because the rear bumper was to high. luckily I had air shocks, so I just deflated them down to were I was legal and went my way to only inflate them a few miles later, he he!
But back to the trucks. I was going to lower my 4X4 but after the mud I had to go through today, I may just add a 2" (give or take) lift.

nex813 03-27-2004 11:43 AM

While searching the internet for pics of custom trucks, I came across the lift law for Michigan:

Lift blocks between the front axle and springs, or lift blocks that exceed 4 inches in height between the rear axle and springs, are not allowed. Shackle replacements cannot exceed OE length by more than 2 inches, and ixnay on the coil spring spacers. In terms of acceptable height, less than 4,501 GVWR, and your frame height cannot exceed 24 inches, and the bumper height can't go beyond 26 inches. For GVWR's between 4,501 and 7,500, those numbers are 24 and 28 inches. For 7,501 and 10,000-pound vehicles, keep the height at 26 and 30 inches.

{OF}Smiley 04-04-2004 06:25 PM

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/hi...law_8580_7.pdf

The frame measurement is halfway between the axles. The bumper measurement is the highest point at the bottom of the bumper. See the link shown above for the actual document with the diagram. I printed this out and keep it in my glove compartment. 99% of the cops, and apparently your weighmaster, do not know where to measure frame height.

Be aware that a 3" body lift is also the maximum.

I've been hassled about not running mud flaps, but just a warning so far . . .

DRT BOY 04-11-2004 08:52 PM

I have a 2002 F-150 w/the FX4 package and I'm considering installing a 3" PA Body Lift, 6" Fabtech Suspension Lift, and I was also going to place BF Goodrich M-T tires size: 37.5/12.5/17 inch tires on 17x10 MAXX 6 wheels by Helo if I proceed with this set up will I be breaking the law or will I be within the limits?

Thanks in advance!

Crash687 04-18-2004 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by DRT BOY
I have a 2002 F-150 w/the FX4 package and I'm considering installing a 3" PA Body Lift, 6" Fabtech Suspension Lift, and I was also going to place BF Goodrich M-T tires size: 37.5/12.5/17 inch tires on 17x10 MAXX 6 wheels by Helo if I proceed with this set up will I be breaking the law or will I be within the limits?

Thanks in advance!

chances are your 6" suspension lift is already too big not to mention the extra 3"-6'' of gain will put you over.

Here is the link again

ReserectedSD 06-06-2004 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by crash687
chances are your 6" suspension lift is already too big not to mention the extra 3"-6'' of gain will put you over.

Here is the link again

Don't forget that your wheel/rubber package is going to add to your lift as well. Depends on where your from to if your goign to get introuble. I'm from Lake Orion and I haven't gottne my truck done so I don't know, but there's a few other PSD and SD running around here that I've talked to and the cops don't seem to care as long as your not driving like an dumba$$.

I also used to drive a 99Xtreme on air ride that sat on the ground. They'll pull you over for being to low as well.. but once again, normally takes a different reason for them to start messing with you.

74F250 07-09-2004 06:03 PM

coil spacers are alos illegal in mi but i haven't had any probs yet

tmrider 08-16-2004 10:36 PM

tires

I watched on tv station about trucks and they said a tire 49 inches high is DOT aprovoved what does that mean in michigan,

ReserectedSD 08-17-2004 03:52 PM

It shouldn't so much be how big your rubber is. You can crame things under a truck, doesn't mean it won't rub, but as long as its not extruding from the side of the body then its fine, if it is you have to put some sort of flare/mudflap on like the rigs...

As for the DOT part... That just means it been safty tested and is worthy of travel on reg. roads.

Atleast thats what i've been told....

86rustbucket 09-01-2004 01:22 PM

All tires sold with the DOT stamping in the US must meet either FMVSS (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard) 109 or 119 depending on the type of tire. 109 covers all P-metric / T-metric tires (bias and radial) 119 covers all LT type tires.

The testing comprises of endurance testing, high speed testing, puncture resistance testing, resistance to bead unseating and dimensional measurements. If the tires do not meet these standards, they can't be stamped with the DOT marking and aren't legal for highway use.