Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   3.8 & 4.2L V6 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum50/)
-   -   Chopping off cat? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/221911-chopping-off-cat.html)

SnubNose 03-25-2004 03:32 AM

Chopping off cat?

I want to cut my cat off (I'm in Canada, no emissions controls) and weld on a piece of straight pipe, but obviously I'll need to do something with the O2 sensors. Would like to hear from people with experience who have actually DONE THIS and know what works and what doesn't. Is there any particular brand of O2 simulators I should get? I don't want to be replacing them every year and I certainly don't want them screwing up my engine or ECM! Thanks all.

Jimmy Dean 03-25-2004 04:25 AM

I have actually heard that even with teh caps, your truck will still work better with the cats on. At the very least get yourself a set of high performance/flow cats

SnubNose 03-25-2004 05:49 AM

Well I'm not looking for performance, really. My cat has busted something internally and it's rattling around something fierce, very embarassing. It's the special L-shaped one that costs $600 CAD to replace and I don't want to spend that kind of money. Muffler shop can weld a piece of straight pipe on for $60, but the problem with the O2 sensors still exists. The cat has to come off regardless. Any ideas?

Jimmy Dean 03-25-2004 06:07 AM

Haha my cat does that also. :) started it at 5,000 miles. very aggrivating

I really would suggest replacing it with High Flo Cats, completely removing the cats will casue your truck to run poorly and kill your gas mileage.

true4.2 03-25-2004 10:37 AM

Well, the problem with the o2 sensors is that they aren't going to go anywhere. You could put a hole in the straight pipe and work them in, but I don't know how your truck would run as far as it leaning out would go. Here's my suggestion:

Buy 2 magnaflow high flow cats for about $40 each off E-Bay. Have them welded on and fix the rattle, and get a little performance to boost. From what I hear, taking off the cats can really cause engine trouble with the backpressure issue.

CHADD 03-25-2004 01:19 PM

any emission control object is under warranty untill 100,000 miles... FYI

SPELLY F150 03-25-2004 07:17 PM

I have a possible solution for the rattle many hear. On the cats there is a small metal tab of metal that is welded onto the cat. I had two of them go on mine. :-arrgh

After you figure out which cat is making the rattling, take some pliers between the cat and the heat shields and pull out the tab.

My buddy told me this is a quick and very cheap way to fix. He works at a muffler shop and get these problems in all the time.

It worked for me, :-X24 GOOD LUCK

true4.2 03-26-2004 08:47 AM

SPELLY, I think that's the best answer we've had so far. ;)

Eric_07 04-02-2004 11:37 AM

Yeah tell me about it. My 4.2 sounds like a damn diesel coming down the road.

travlnman 04-17-2004 09:10 PM

Nope, it's your cat alright. Mine busted too, and of course went back into the second cat and now I think it's going bad also.

horizonhuskies 04-19-2004 02:03 PM

All 4 cats? Mine has 2....hmmm....

travlnman 04-19-2004 02:13 PM

What year is yours?? Did you buy it new?? Maybe you have already been the recipient of a high flow change over.Hmmmmm!! :cool: