Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   brake problems with 1999 or 2000 trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/22024-brake-problems-with-1999-or-2000-trucks.html)

robsfall 08-09-2000 10:58 PM

brake problems with 1999 or 2000 trucks

i need to know how many people have had problems with brakes on 99 or 2000 f-250,350 or 450 and if your still having problems

ronzx9 08-11-2000 07:53 AM

I have had problems with my 99 F250 SD 4X4 V10 Extended Cab. Multiple returns for brake pulse. I also have a hard time stopping the truck if there is any water on the road. I have to stand on the brakes to get her to stop and I weigh 220. Dealer thinks I'm nuts. Says nothing wrong.

Other Problems @ 20,000 miles:
CD does not eject CD's New CD player on order.
AC does not cool down. New compresser on order.
All four doors rusting on the bottoms and sills below the windows. Ford is being a pain in the but on this. No resolution yet.
Poor mileage. 11.5-12MPG at 65-70MPH.
Clunk in drivetrain when shifting to/from reverse.
Dealer can't seem to hear it.

RonZX9.

SuperPleased 08-11-2000 05:45 PM

>i need to know how many
>people have had problems with
>brakes on 99 or 2000
>f-250,350 or 450 and if
>your still having problems

Yes, as a matter of fact, the rotors (front) on my '99 SD SC V-10 Lariat had annoyed me for about eight weeks with pulsing, before I had them replaced by the dealer (at no charge) . The **new, IMPROVED** rotors only lasted for about 3,000 miles before they, too, were pulsing. Problem was (and IS) that the truck was out-of-warranty by the time the replacements failed, so I couldn't expect another free replacement.

I'm a former race driver (stock cars) who learned early on to save his brakes, so you could rightfully say that I'm easy on my brakes. The Super Duty has over 41,000 miles on it as I write this, yet the brake pads are in great shape with lots of wear remaining on them.

When my dealer did the in-warranty rotor replacement for me, it was obvious from the long list of materials consumed that this brake job wasn't anything new to Ford; they'd obviously had to change out many of them on the SD's by the time they got to mine! :)

The replacements lasted far less mileage than the original rotors, which was a major disappointment. I'm now searching for an aftermarket rotor that has the heat warping problem under control. Ford needs to try harder on this problem!

Tom

jmmk 08-24-2000 04:16 PM

Buy the cheapest brakes you can find , the factory brakes pads are rock hard.They put to much heat in the rotors thus warping,you might put them on more often but no pulsing.

loganhauler 08-26-2000 05:10 PM

I have had the same problems with my 99 SD/Powerstroke. It has been back to the selling dealer twice for vibration when I apply the breaks. They replaced the rear rotors and pads twice and turned the front rotors (on the truck) twice and replaced the front pads twice. The truck has 58k miles on it and I had to have the front rotors turned AGAIN and replaced the front pads AGAIN. Hope I am done with this problem but the odds are against me. If anyone has a solution (other than trading the truck for a Dodge) I would like to know about it.

jurtu 08-27-2000 10:27 PM

Could it be that the swept area is just not big enough? These are heavy trucks 5000lbs +, unloaded. American vehicles are notoriously underbraked, specialy pick-up trucks. Did your dearler intimate to you wether Ford is considering upgrading to bigger brakes in the future. Probabley not. They just don't care. They're selling Super-Duties faster than thay can make them.

jurtu 08-27-2000 10:37 PM

That gas milage is not that bad. You've got a V10, it's a 4X4, probably a 4:11 rear-end, it's pushing 6000lbs sitting at the curb, and is about as aerodynamic as a brick. I would'nt expect miracles.

I had an 84 Chevy 3/4 ton, standard cab, 2WD, long bed, 4:11 rear-end with a 350 V8 that only got about 9MPG and less towing my ski boat.

You've got a lot more truck with a lot more power and better gas milage to boot.

goliath 08-30-2000 08:19 AM

The problem that I have experienced is while trying to stop a little faster than someone would normally the brakes seem to fade with a pulsating feeling (and it's not abs) especially if there is an un-even road that seems to amplify it.

papaharp 09-03-2000 12:53 PM

I have had problems with my F-350 4X4 Crew cab Dully. When I had about 26,000 miles on it I was having recall work done on the gas tank and was talking to service rep. about how the front end would jump up and down when braking. The Rep. said that the rotors were out of round and they would turn them under warranty. When I picked up the truck two days later I was told that they also had to replace the left front hub because the four wheel drive was not disingaging all the way and was causing a clicking noise. I was told that all four rotors had to be turned and all of the brake pads had to be sanded smooth to stop the pulsing. The dealer rep. told me that I would have to look forward to turning or replacing the rotors and pads about ever 25,000 mile. He said it just a problem with the Ford F-350's. I still have a clicking noise in the left front hub but the dealer said the mechinic could not find anything wrong with and he could not hear anything. I now have 53,000 on the truck and I am having to replace the rotors and pads again to stop the pulsing. Dealer Rep. said he new nothing about any recall or anything Ford was doing to solve the problems with the rotors.

liltoot 09-03-2000 11:48 PM

qwert9000000 05-12-2012 07:45 PM

in March of 1998 they changed the rotors used on the 1999 F-450. you CANNOT mix parts between the two brake versions.

Indyducks 07-06-2012 04:53 AM

I've had the same pulsing problem with my 2000 F250. The brakes are my biggest problem with this truck. I've decided to just put some kind of custom brake package on the thing. All 4 wheels. Does anyone have some suggestions? At this point, I will spare no expense in making this problem go away forever.

ken kenmnedy 07-06-2012 07:53 AM

after two sets of front rotors i gave up on factory style and went to e bay and got plated,drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic pads...255$$ 4 rotors and pads...oh my dose this thing stop...its a plow truck so they get a beating and still work great they still work great so far

Indyducks 07-06-2012 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by ken kenmnedy (Post 12029327)
after two sets of front rotors i gave up on factory style and went to e bay and got plated,drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic pads...255$$ 4 rotors and pads...oh my dose this thing stop...its a plow truck so they get a beating and still work great they still work great so far

Ken - What brand? I absolutely need better brakes on mine.

ken kenmnedy 07-06-2012 08:52 AM

cardone i think first ones i could find on e bay that were drilled,sloted and plate ed reaiiy just wanted to try the drilled and slot to releave the heat thing the better stoping was extra i didnt count on I went cheap beause this is my test tired of buying rotors to have them warp in 6 mounths

ol'yeller 07-06-2012 10:55 AM

I have had no pulsing or warped rotor problems with my '99 SCAB 2WD. This week I did fry one of my front rotors due to a pad hanging up from rusty slide pins on a very busy street. I had to limp almost 2 miles until I found a safe place to pull over. While slide pins have been known to hang up pads, Mine was because my truck sat almost all winter with very limited use. My truck has just over 100K miles and is over 13 years old. I won't hold this latest problem against it.

I have 430 gears in my truck and I celebrate when I get 12 MPG!

MauleOne 07-06-2012 02:01 PM

Brakes

My E99 F350 PSD has 190K miles and while I had to recently rebuild the fron brakes due to the pads worn out (turned the rotors and replaced the pads) I have never had trouble stopping or experienced any pulsing.

When I replaced the pad I had to take the old ones in to help the counter guy find the right replacements. Turned out to be the same as model 2000 truck.

The idea of heavier brakes appeals to me. I see lots of aftermarket brakes in magazines and on ebay.

I will watch this thread to see how it comes. out.

airmark 07-06-2012 02:05 PM

rideing on worpped roters now.they were like that when i bought it.planing on trying the slotted after market kind.f350 sd crew cab 4x4 v10 6.8