Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Computer Chips & Tuners (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum46/)
-   -   87 Octane Program (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/214464-87-octane-program.html)

Tyler718 03-07-2004 04:27 PM

87 Octane Program

I have been lurking around over the past couple of weeks and have really learned a lot from all the different forums in this site.

I'll be purchasing a 2 Stage Diablo chip in the next week or two for my 2000 F150 w/ a 4.2L and manual tranny. I'm trying to decide if I need the 87 Ocatane Program.

I have been reading all I can find, but all I have been able to find is that it effects the shift points in auto trannies, but what other advantage is there, if any, to get it programmed in since I have a manual?

Thanks,
Dave

SMiller 03-07-2004 08:02 PM

All you are going to get is a leaner mix and more timing, you are waisting money on a two-stage, really on a chip at all, you won't feel a differnce, the gain will be very slight, if you had a auto the differnce would be worth it as far as the firmer shifts and differnt torque converter setting etc. but for a manual it just isn't worth it, if you have the money to spend then you could always get your money back, it does come with a money back garantee so I guess you have nothing to waist?!

Tyler718 03-07-2004 08:12 PM

I tried to edit this earlier after rereading it, but I didn't know that you couldn't edit after 60 minutes.

Anyways, I'm planning on the higher octane program and wasn't sure if I should add in the 87 octane. SMiller you confirmed what I was thinking, but you brought another thought to me though. Will I see much of a difference with the high octane program?

Dave

SMiller 03-07-2004 09:47 PM

I would bet money that you will never feel a differnce even with a 93 octane setting. That doesn't mean that it will not be making more power, just that the 6-12hp it does give you will not be enough to make a seat of the pants improvement. I would REALLY look elsewhere to make your truck go faster. Gas prices are getting to high to run 93 octane. Motorhaven sells lots of other good products, and like I said if you had a auto it would be a no-brainer. A two-stage would really be a waist, either you run 93 and run it hard or don't bother.

openclasspro 03-08-2004 04:50 AM

you guys should post on experience- my diablo chip made 32 more REAR WHEEL HP on thew dyno- that my friends- you casn FEEL!!

ChevySniper 03-08-2004 03:20 PM

just about any post that I've read on here about the diablo...the same words turn up. MY GOSH ...the power....holy crap...what a difference...and so on.

I haven't read a post on here when somebody got the diablo chip and didn't notice a tremendous difference. That is why mine is on it's way...

openclasspro 03-08-2004 03:37 PM

by the way- those numbers were on a 93 octane tune!

AG4.0 03-08-2004 04:18 PM

Just read the first post of the Thread,
Diablo Chip,1/4 Mile Results
Mine too is on it's way. According to my tracking number it's only 50 miles away and will be here tomorro. Woo hoo

ChevySniper 03-08-2004 04:20 PM

Adam

you lucky sucker....your gettin yours first...:D

AG4.0 03-08-2004 04:24 PM

Yeah, that's one advantage of living in Nebraska. We're within 3 shipping days of anywhere in the country. Can't think of too many others unless you like lots of wind.

SMiller 03-08-2004 09:27 PM

There is no way that your chip made 32rwhp, it takes a differn't air box-maf-and a 93 octane chip to make 19rwhp and that is if you are lucky. If you made 32rwhp more then what else did you do besides the chip? There is no way even Ken will say that his chip on a gas engine makes that much power to the ground. Come on fess up....

openclasspro 03-08-2004 09:36 PM

IT MADE 188 WITH CHIP IN OFF POSITION magnaflow 15609 catback and mac air intake- flipeed chip on 220 rwhp

SAME DYNO
SAME DAY
MINUTES APART FROM RUNS
MUSTANG LOADED DYNO
NO FESSING UP IS NEEDED - THESE ARE GOD HONEST FACTS-PERIOD!-PHIL
NO FESSING IS NEED

SMiller 03-08-2004 10:33 PM

Thank you for giving the facts, it seems you must have made that power, it just doesn't seem possible to make that much power with just a chip, I have never even heard of making that much power on a dyno-tune!!! Congrates on the big hp gains, lossen up a little, you got to admit it's a little much, no big deal.

AG4.0 03-08-2004 10:37 PM

Motorhaven advertises 8-10% gains on stock, so maybe with the better flowing intake and exhuast it helps get more. Just a guess.

openclasspro 03-09-2004 06:22 PM

no problem!if i didn't witness it my self i'd been skeptical too- i can say this -it sure doesn't run like it used to since i took the chip out!