Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Michigan Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum85/)
-   -   hey guys. new guy here(and no im not buying wendys) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/208783-hey-guys-new-guy-here-and-no-im-not-buying-wendys.html)

awe911 02-23-2004 01:38 PM

hey guys. new guy here(and no im not buying wendys)

WELL I JUST BOUGHT A F250 XLT LARIAT WITH A NEW CARB AND 33'' ALL TERRAIN TIRES GOODRICH NEW BRAIN AND I

awe911 02-23-2004 01:41 PM

SORRY.....AND IM KINDA DISSAPOINTED..i payed 800$ bucks and i hear alota knocking coming from the engine .didnt notice till i got on the highway and i had a little trouble getting it up past 55...i am looking at buying a engine when i have the money .anybody know where i can get a cheap engine to replace this one right now i beleive i have a 5.8..wouldnt mind down grading to a 6cylinder

Jimjdb1 02-23-2004 05:54 PM

awe911

Sorry, I can't help you with the engine. But I did want to say Welcome to the site. You might try one of the other forums on this site, maybe one that pertains to your truck, or the classifieds. Hope this helps.

Jim

jpsartre12 02-24-2004 08:01 PM

Originally posted by awe911
SORRY.....AND IM KINDA DISSAPOINTED..i payed 800$ bucks and i hear alota knocking coming from the engine .didnt notice till i got on the highway and i had a little trouble getting it up past 55...i am looking at buying a engine when i have the money .anybody know where i can get a cheap engine to replace this one right now i beleive i have a 5.8..wouldnt mind down grading to a 6cylinder
Before I started talking doom and gloom, are you sure you have enough oil in it? Is it a rod knock or a detonation? Can you be more specific?

awe911 02-24-2004 09:50 PM

pretty sure its a rod knock comes from down by the oil pan when u accelerate it knocks faster and louder.......I think im just gonna drop a new engine in it...2300$unless i could figure out a cheaper route i dont think there is one though if it is a rod knock...?

awe911 02-24-2004 09:53 PM

oh yeah ...i went to change the oil and whala guess what the oil plug is stripped and it spins both ways it wont tighten or loosen?i went and bought a slighlty oversized plug but i cant put it in till i can get the other one out any one have any ideas on how to doe this without damaging oil pan?

awe911 02-25-2004 04:09 PM

i am going to drop a motor from autozone also plan on replacing starter alternator waterpump and all belts ill hang on to the ac thingie mabobber that suckers expensive....wish me luck i love that truck ill have pics up for you guys when i get a chance..iwas going to have it done but a friend of mine said he would help so that saves me like 1500!!!!!!awesome.the engine will run me about 1200$ all the other stuff i can buy new now its gonna be dirty but in the end im gonna love see ya guys hope to here from yas

jpsartre12 02-25-2004 05:51 PM

i am going to drop a motor from autozone also plan on replacing starter alternator waterpump and all belts ill hang on to the ac thingie mabobber that suckers expensive....wish me luck i love that truck ill have pics up for you guys when i get a chance..iwas going to have it done but a friend of mine said he would help so that saves me like 1500!!!!!!awesome.the engine will run me about 1200$ all the other stuff i can buy new now its gonna be dirty but in the end im gonna love see ya guys hope to here from yas
E-mail me. I have a couple of buddies in your neck of the woods who might be able to help you out on engine/parts.

awe911 02-26-2004 03:06 PM

sorry jsparte i cant email yet my priveledges havent been extended yet...also i am experiencing a misfire in the engine i hear a constant ticking noise that is familiar as a misfire tuning up should stop that noise am i right??

jpsartre12 02-26-2004 04:24 PM

sorry jsparte i cant email yet my priveledges havent been extended yet...also i am experiencing a misfire in the engine i hear a constant ticking noise that is familiar as a misfire tuning up should stop that noise am i right??
A tick, huh? Could be a few things. If your truck is like my van, it's a valve tap. :)
It could be an exhaust leak, also. What year is your truck? I don't think you mentioned that.

awe911 02-27-2004 01:58 PM

sorry its a 1987 xlt lariat f250 with a v8 5.8
edelbrock carb 4bbl brand spanking new ..no smog pumps?new starter solenoid.. new computer brain 33' all terrain goodrich 6mnths old...the exterior is near new of course there is no shine to the paint but the paint is not chipped scrathed or dented and the interior is also in great shape....the drive train i dont know how to judge the shape its in but the truck moves so it works...might need new brakes.........i think thats all the positives i can think of...now the negative...NEEDS NEW ENGINE A ROD IS KNOCKING....
yeah a constant ticking its real audible when i accelarate ...and i got shocked the other day when i was playing with the idle on the carb i think i have a craked distributor cap maybe because i had to reach over the cap to get to the idle and a buddy told me that you should be able to lay your hand on the cap and not get shocked any ideas?

King Triton 03-30-2004 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by awe911

Here is another thought for ya,there are alot of reputable junkyards that can set you up with a good quality used engine,for about half of what you are talkin,some of them will even let you hear it run before you buy it.And as a mechanic,I would tell you that unless you are going to buy a new starter,alt, from Ford,which will be rather expensive,dont replace those items until they wear out,remans dont have the quality or the life span that the oem parts have.A good used engine will also cure your stripped plug problem,as far as you getting a shock,well that might just be that your plug wires are getting old.The easy way to check is to open your hood at night with the truck running,and look to see if there is any arcing or spark around your wires,if you see any spark,then your wires are probably worn out.hope this helps. :)

jpsartre12 03-30-2004 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by awe911
sorry its a 1987 xlt lariat f250 with a v8 5.8
edelbrock carb 4bbl brand spanking new ..no smog pumps?new starter solenoid.. new computer brain 33' all terrain goodrich 6mnths old...the exterior is near new of course there is no shine to the paint but the paint is not chipped scrathed or dented and the interior is also in great shape....the drive train i dont know how to judge the shape its in but the truck moves so it works...might need new brakes.........i think thats all the positives i can think of...now the negative...NEEDS NEW ENGINE A ROD IS KNOCKING....
yeah a constant ticking its real audible when i accelarate ...and i got shocked the other day when i was playing with the idle on the carb i think i have a craked distributor cap maybe because i had to reach over the cap to get to the idle and a buddy told me that you should be able to lay your hand on the cap and not get shocked any ideas?

Are you sure it's a rod knock? A rod knock isn't a "tick". It's a "clunk". It's much louder and deeper in pitch than a valve tap.