Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ford vs The Competition (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum17/)
-   -   Cummins set to take the lead? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/202068-cummins-set-to-take-the-lead.html)

sinister73 02-07-2004 07:15 PM

Cummins set to take the lead?

Well, now that the Cummins 600 is 50 state legal, it may well be set to take the lead in diesel unit sales of the big three.

Dodge had done badly in California sales in comparision with Ford and GM, apparentely because the only Cummins available there was definately outclassed in HP and torque by both the PSD and the Dmax.
But now that the 600 is 50 state legal for emissions Cali buyers get the same power ups as everyone else does, and the Cummins has actually surpassed the Dmax in California sales for the first time since the Dmax debued. It's closing on Fords Powerstroke numbers every day- even as I type this.
Considering that California represents the largest new vehicle buying market in the country, it's entirely concievable that the Cummins will become the number one diesel in America if this pace keeps up.

Dosent surprise me really, you can say all you want about the quality issues concerning the Ram(though I like them) but anyone who seriously doubts the quality, and durability of Cummins engines,while supporting Dmax or PSD engines as being the "best", has some serious credibility problems as far as I'm concerned.

Matts72 02-07-2004 09:14 PM

They won't get my sale. Ford has a huge market, they aren't gonna get swamped by some hype about 600 lb. ft., and nobody is going to trade in a truck for forty lb. ft.

MJD 02-07-2004 11:02 PM

Dodge will definitely get my sale when I buy my next pickup, 600 lb/ft or not. It will be very good for Dodge to expand their market into California. The power will also help. Ford will still probably sell more diesels than Dodge, but the gap between the two will close signifigantly. The recent PSD problems may also help sales. The only disadvantage of the Dodge is that it doesn't yet have a 5-speed automatic. I am willing to bet that Dodge diesels already outsell Ford where I live.

AAFD 02-08-2004 08:05 AM

One thing that is going to hurt dodge is the lack of a rear crew cab! The other thing is that ford will have more power this fall. Also the dodge doesn't have any thing like the Torque shift/allison tranny, they force you to buy a exhaust brake to get the braking power in there autos.

KC

93 F-250 7.3L Diesel 02-08-2004 09:19 AM

Yea dodge does have the lead but 40 extra ft-lb of tourque is not that much. Yea maybe you could tell hauling up a hill but other than that no. Navistar will up grade the 6.0L soon and it will have more hp abd tourque than both of them. If you wanna top the cummins and you own a 6.0L now and want around the same tourque and more hp go buy a banks monster exhsaut. It will increase you hp to 342hp and increase your tourque to 585.

WXboy 02-10-2004 08:52 PM

Well, the Cummins already was the most dependable and most fuel efficient of the three. Some people just considered it a little weaker whether it was or wasn't. Now that the Cummins has kept it's dependable and fuel efficient design in addition to being the most powerful engine on the market, it's going to be real interesting to see how Dodge sales fluctuate. Especially when you consider that the Dodge still has a better warranty and is cheaper too. They have moved into the #2 spot already....and they have a great combination...it's going to be interesting.

MW95F250 02-10-2004 09:30 PM

If Ford can get a JD engine in the heavy trucks, I believe there wont be much to keep Ford from running away from the others in sales and reliability. John Deere engines are proven performers and I think would make an excellent replacement for the Power Stroke when Ford and IH terminate their engine contract in '06. Just think, instead of the IH Power Stroke Diesel, you'd have the JD Power Tech Diesel, which that line of engines is already in industrial equipment.

redmt77 02-10-2004 09:40 PM

I dont know whats in other areas of the country, but around here, tow truck operators use fords, better than 90% it seems. I asked a tow truck operator what he towed the most? His reply...I wish everybody had a cummins diesel with an automatic, and their spouses drove jeeps. I'd be a very rich person.

AAFD 02-11-2004 03:03 PM

Originally posted by WXboy
Well, the Cummins already was the most dependable and most fuel efficient of the three. Some people just considered it a little weaker whether it was or wasn't. Now that the Cummins has kept it's dependable and fuel efficient design in addition to being the most powerful engine on the market, it's going to be real interesting to see how Dodge sales fluctuate. Especially when you consider that the Dodge still has a better warranty and is cheaper too. They have moved into the #2 spot already....and they have a great combination...it's going to be interesting.
I would say that MPG depended on each driver and what and how they were driving. The cummins is a very good and dependable engine for sure. As for cheaper again that would be different as well. Dodge was the most money when I looked a few months back. Dodge's biggest problems has been the Auto tranny and the fuel pump. Each truck has its problems weather its ford, gm or dodge!

KC

TowinBob 02-11-2004 05:34 PM

Who wants to spend forty grand for an engine?
The "new Dodge" is still a Dodge.

sinister73 02-11-2004 08:27 PM

I can think of 40 grand spent worse elsewhere....04 F150 (for audiophile sound system, and a frame 9 times stiffer than it's predecessor?) or a new Titan (supposedly superior Japanese quality, along with the distinction of being an owner of the world's most butt ugly pickup?).

vman 02-11-2004 08:37 PM

If all new trends start in CA. We are all in trouble.But, then again, those people all seem a little strange to me.

trucksforever 02-12-2004 11:24 AM

Ford does have one other thing going for it, the Dodge, is still a Dodge. I sure hope people aren't buying trucks just for the engine they have in them.

MJD 02-12-2004 01:16 PM

I agree that people should not buy a pickup for the engine alone, but Dodge makes good pickups, contrary to what many of you imagine. I know quite a few people who quit on Ford just because of the engine that they have in them.

93 F-250 7.3L Diesel 02-12-2004 03:27 PM

I Dont know about you people but i live in new england ford rules the truck indusrty here. No cummins 5.9 blows or out last the international 7.3L or 6.0L. They all are good when they are running but up here they go through all the weather conditions and tests of towing and what not and ford still outlasts them.
I work for a counstruction and all we have ford diesels. A fleet of 35 trucks and 30 of them have there orginal engines. The Dodge cummins just aint as popular or durbale up here ask any new englander ford trucks rule.

Josh
93 F-250 7.3L Diesel 4x4