Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   interior lights stay on (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/201871-interior-lights-stay-on.html)

rangerbud 02-07-2004 09:46 AM

interior lights stay on

Hi, I just signed onto the forum today. I have a F 250 diesel. It is running ok, but the "door open" light stays on and the interior light also stays on. I had to take the bulb out to shut it off.

has anyone had this problem or an idea of what the problem could be.

Thanks a bunch

Autobahn F-250 Lariat 02-07-2004 10:17 AM

Spray some WD40 into the locking mechanism this should do the trick;) Do a search for more info on this topic.
Manny:-X01

Munkey 02-07-2004 10:17 AM

Soak the door latch with WD-40, open and close the door a few times, and soak it again with WD-40. This should do the trick, it's a very common problem with Super Duties.

Munkey 02-07-2004 10:18 AM

Doh, AutoBahn got to it first!

DS02F250 02-07-2004 11:30 AM

rangerbud,
Just in case you/we overlooked the obvious...

Did you check the dimmer switch for the dash panel? If you roll it all the way up and it clicks into place, it'll turn on the interior light. I've been guilty of leaving it on from time to time!

BTW, welcome to the forum :cool:

Munkey 02-07-2004 11:33 AM

Soak the door latch with WD-40, open and close the door a few times, and soak it again with WD-40. This should do the trick, it's a very common problem with Super Duties.

rangerbud 02-08-2004 09:23 PM

Hey guys this is really good. I appreciate your help. I surely checked everything I could find of course. The door ajar light stays on all the time the key is in the ignition now. It was sporadic until the last couple of days. I had to pull the bulb out of the dome light and the alarm is always dinging when the key is in the ignition but not running.

When you say soak the "door Latch", what does that mean exactly? I mean do I just spray a lot of wd 40 into the handle opening somewhere?

Thanks a lot!

bud

QuickSilver 02-08-2004 11:16 PM

No, spray it into the latch itself, on the inside of the door. Did the trick for me too! :D

rshober 02-09-2004 07:02 AM

Re: interior lights stay on

Originally posted by rangerbud
Hi, I just signed onto the forum today. I have a F 250 diesel. It is running ok, but the "door open" light stays on and the interior light also stays on. I had to take the bulb out to shut it off.

has anyone had this problem or an idea of what the problem could be.

Thanks a bunch

Bud, by chance do you live in F'ville? I followed some dude home on Friday and was LMAO because he kept opening and closing all his doors at every stoplight. Tried to catch up and mention the dimmer switch to no avail. Hope you were able to fix the problem...welcome to FTE
Bert

GT350owner 02-09-2004 07:23 AM

Also check for a bad groung on the door light switch. I have an Explorer that had the same problem. Sometimes cleaning the contacts on the switch will do it. I don't know how the F250's are but some switches in the door frame ground with the screw, nut or bolt that holds them in place. If the contact area to the truck body or the screw/bold gets corroded the circuit is interupted.

Or it can be a faulty door light switch. In the case of the Explorer I tested first and when that did not fix it I changed the switch and that did it.

rangerbud 02-09-2004 08:37 AM

Thanks again.

I haven't had a chance to try the latest tip yet. But some have mentioned checking the switches for grounding etc. I guess I will have to take all the door panels off since the swithes must be in the door. The swithches on the F250 are actuated (as best as I can tell) by the slider arms that are attached to the body and go into the door when it is closed.

When you say spray into the inside of the door do you mean the latch where you squeeze to open the door?

By the way I have 78000 miles on the truck. I still have the original Firestone tires on it. I have never ever come close to getting even 50,000 miles on a set of tires even for my cars. I am hoping to get 100,000 miles out of these tires.

rangerbud 02-09-2004 08:41 AM

Hey rshober
I wasn't in F'ville, but I was aroung Albemarle all day. Trying to buy a home somewhere in that area. I don't think I am slamming doors anymore - although I did for a few days when this first started.

By the way what does LMAO mean?

Big Orn 02-09-2004 08:44 AM

When you say spray into the inside of the door do you mean the latch where you squeeze to open the door?
Only the latch - not the handle. And try this first before you do anything else.
Is your SD a Super or Crew or Single?

By the way I have 78000 miles on the truck. I still have the original Firestone tires on it. I have never ever come close to getting even 50,000 miles on a set of tires even for my cars. I am hoping to get 100,000 miles out of these tires.
If you get 100K and still pass inspectoin, please let us know!!

rshober 02-09-2004 11:05 AM

Hey rshober

By the way what does LMAO mean?

Laughing My A#* Off. My teenagers are teaching me this new chat room abbreviation crap.
Bert

SteveOF350_SCREW 10-27-2019 12:09 AM

this did the trick for me!! I’m a *******

Originally Posted by DS02F250 (Post 1323352)
rangerbud,
Just in case you/we overlooked the obvious...

Did you check the dimmer switch for the dash panel? If you roll it all the way up and it clicks into place, it'll turn on the interior light. I've been guilty of leaving it on from time to time!

BTW, welcome to the forum :cool: