Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum32/)
-   -   91 Explorer won't start!! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/198434-91-explorer-wont-start.html)

Gil Chesterton 01-31-2004 07:15 PM

Good evening gentlemen.

I DROVE to the beer store this PM!

I replaced the plugs with NGK Iradiums and bought the best wire kit available and she started up. Ran rough until the PCM "re-learned" the settings but it is smooth now. We'll see about fuel economy but no black smoke (clean burn) and very smooth at speed and idle. No CEL's yet. Thermostat is fine too.

Let's review shall we? (all figures Canadian):

Wire kit $30.00
Better wire kit $45.00
Plugs $30.00
Better plugs $60.00
FPR valve $160.00
Fuel pressure tester $50.00
Multimeter $30.00
Code reader $50.00
O2 sensor $110.00
Fuel filter $10.00
Fuel filter tool $12.00
Air filter $10.00
PVC valve $3.00
Coil pack $35.00 (used)
IAC valve $25.00 (used)
Taxi to parts store $15.00

Total: $675.00 (about $500US)

Not too bad I think as many of these parts you could file under "routine" maintenance anyway. With the fuel $$ I (should) save I'll be even in 6 months, I own some new tools and I don't even want to think what the shop charges may have been.

My thanks again to macintn, mrshorty, CowboyBilly9Mile, Opera House Works, marragtop and kc73.

See you in the spring for ball joint replacement.

marragtop 02-01-2004 06:15 AM

Glad to see you got it running. In reviewing your run down of parts, I see you forgot to include the most important part........ the BEER!!!!!

Gil Chesterton 02-02-2004 08:11 AM

If you include the beer I'm at an even G-Note.

Interesting post script to this little story. I decided to switch out the oil and filter (while I was still dirty) and when I pulled the drain plug about 8L (eight litres!) of a oil/fuel mixture poured out of the crankcase. I have to hope this was related to the previous problems I have been having with the FPR etc and the fact I had been cranking the engine with limited spark for 4 days.

I'll keep my eye on it and swap out the oil and inspect next weekend.

Pray for me and my poor little '91.

My1991Ford 09-18-2014 05:27 PM

Gil Chesterton,

You have an update for us on your explorer. I have a 1991 XLT I am having issues to get started as well. Hope it is not all the stuff you fixed as I will probably have to take mine in to have done, so I can only imagine what it would cost.

dremtofford 01-05-2020 11:50 PM

same problem won't start

i have the same problem with my 91.it will crank but doesn't start, i spray starting fluid in and still no start. i am pretty sure it probably doesn't have spark. haven't tried the spark tester, wife won't grab the sparkplug wire, she is no fun. changed the three relays under the fuse box i need a new fuel filter. the truck sat for a few years and my ex-son-in-law stole parts off of it so i have been adding parts as i go. got the vacuum back together, finally got a pressure gauge and the fuel line disconnect tools and a new ign switch, the old one fell apart in my hands, and i had to replace the ign lock cylinder because the previous owner lost the keys. but it cranks good now and i can listen to the radio. i also need to tighten up the wiper motor to the mounting plate and fix the washer pump. but someone rebuilt the front end and it was only 100 bucks. i probably should have started my own thread but i am tired and not thinking straight, spent all day with the inlaws.

shorod 01-06-2020 06:59 AM

You'll want to confirm no spark, then check for power to the coil. Have you confirmed along the way that all fuses are good?

-Rod

dremtofford 01-07-2020 08:46 PM

the fuses are all good. i just found my spark tester i will check the spark tomorrow.right now i am fixing the wiper motor, the whole thing was loose, what a pain in the rump to fix.

dremtofford 01-16-2020 07:04 PM

got the wiper all back together. and it was parking straight up i was thinking what the hell? i tried to turn the pivot arm 180 but that didn't fly so i went and sulked for a while. then it dawned on me the bell crank on the motor could move 180 so i loosened the 9/16 nut and moved the bell crank 180 and it worked. i put the arms on and everything worked but as long as i have the key on it was on a timer. i hooked the ground wire up to the stud and as it was getting dark i called it quits until tomorrow. now if i only had spark but that is for tomorrow if it doesn't snow again.

dremtofford 03-16-2020 09:35 PM

still no spark. changed the crank sensor and coil pack.i need to check the relays next.