Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   How do I replace my headlight switch? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/196646-how-do-i-replace-my-headlight-switch.html)

supercab blue 01-25-2004 12:56 PM

How do I replace my headlight switch?

Hello all. I am new here. I own a 1992 Ford F150 supercab. I would like information on how to replace the headlight switch. Your responses are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

richierich45 01-25-2004 09:48 PM

On my 87 it was easy. I am assuming that the 92 is about the same. First remove the headlight and wiper knobs. There is a slot in the knob, just slide a screwdriver or awl in there, put pressure on the retainer and pull the knob off. Then 'pop' off the dash panel and let it hang there if you have a gas tank switch. There now should be 4 bolts holding the switches in. Remove them. The headlight switch should unplug from the harness. The switch has a nut thru the pull lever. Take it off. Everything should be able to be replaced. A new switch is around $15-20. Make sure you check the harness for any meltdown. Mine melted twice. It needs to be replaced again. It is easy too. Just push the wires out one by one and put them into the new harness block. The new block comes with short wires so just color match them to the existing wires. Do them one at a time. You should be able to put everything back easily once you remove it.
Hope this helps

evan63 01-26-2004 10:41 AM

If you have dual tanks, I recommend unplugging the wiring harness going into the tank switch before you pull the panel cover out, especially if it's cold there. Otherwise, be very careful not to torque the tank switch as you manipulate the panel.

I left my tank switch connected, and discovered that the plastic in my 1990 panel was brittle. The threaded sleeves in the panel that the switch screws into disintegrated as I pulled the panel out. I ended up having to drill through the panel and put in a couple of bolts to hold the switch on. That works but doesn't look as good.

supercab blue 01-28-2004 01:14 AM

Yes I do have a dual tank switch. So I will have to unplug the wiring harness to the tank switch, ok got it. But where is located? Is it in the fuse block?

BandBFord 01-28-2004 07:08 AM

Oo.

After removing the knobs...DON'T try to "pop" the dash bezel off or it will "pop" into pieces. The small trim in the middle of the bezel (some are grey or woodgrain) hide small bolts which must be removed prior to "popping" anything loose (trust me I know). Use a small screw driver on the trim and it will come out giving you access to the bolts...:D

evan63 01-28-2004 01:02 PM

You can just unplug the wires from the back of the tank switch. There is a typical Ford connector there, just pry back the clip and unplug it.