Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Indiana Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum124/)
-   -   Engine rebuild (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/196000-engine-rebuild.html)

indyjames500 01-23-2004 03:12 PM

Engine rebuild

Guys, anyone know of a reputable machine shop or engine rebuilder who can rebuild my engine using it's own parts such as crank, block, and connecting rods? Torque1st "Eric" suggests that I keep the connecting rods that are already in my engine because as he says, "they are a matched set from the factory".

Also, I need the shop to be able to work with modifications. I already have the Edelbrock intake maniforld and carburetor, and if I am getting engine rebuilt, I want the rest of the Edelbrock performace package that goes with my engine such as the cam kit, and head rebuild kit.

I'm not really knowledgable about gas engine rebuilders, but I know with Cummins diesels, we pull and mark each piece as we remove it so that it goes back exactly as we found it. I assume it has something to do with engine balance. When we rebuild a Cummins diesel, we install new main bearings, new pistons, send the heads out for rebuilding, and install new liners. Most of the time the rocker boxes, push rods, and oil pump are reused. Injectors are sent out for testing and rebuilt as needed.

With my gas engine I need new bearings, new camshaft, oil pump and heads rebuilt I know. I am planning on using the Edelbrock timing gear and chain and maybe even water pump.

If anyone knows of a machine shop/rebuilder who can handle that let me know. I'm having problems with my engine and I want to fix it before it gets bad. I want a minimum of 300+Hp from this engine. I'm told that with the High Performance Ford 400, it will automatically crank out around 275Hp, and with my Edelbrock parts will bump horsepower to over 300+Hp as well as significant increase in bottom end torque.

Due to the increase in horsepower and torque, I will need tranny rebuild too but if noone can handle that, Jasper engine has a high performance C6 transmission for around $1275.

I trust that Eric know what he's talking about and I trust his opinions. He knows gas, and I know diesels. My lastest engine in my new truck is the Cummins N-14 460Hp. But with some modifications, my engine is capable of producing well over 1200Hp. Ever seen an Eagle fly.........

snowfighter 01-24-2004 10:38 AM

James, I rebuilt my engine last winter ( did it myself) The machine shop I used is in Ohio ( I know them ) They do alot of fords. I used the elderbrock timing kit with elderbrock intake and carb
I went with the crane cam, lifters and valve springs. The bottom end is basically stock except for flattop pistons. The motor makes plenty of power and is reliable, not great on gas mileage but you can't get everything.
If you want some help on doing this yourself I would be happy to help.
Wayne

indyjames500 01-24-2004 04:14 PM

Tell me about this crane cam, is it mild or wild? My 400/V8 has the Edelbrock #3771 EGR intake, and Edelbrock #1406 4-Bbl carburetor. Everything else is stock at the moment. Also on this crane cam, how does it compare with the Edelbrock performer cam kit? I'll look in your gallery Wayne to see if you have pics in there of your truck. I believe you have the body style that I like but I have no need for 4 X 4. Mine will be used mainly for high-speed interstate travel. Therefore I'll want to keep my gearing a little high unless someone makes a 2-spd electric rear end for pickups.

indyjames500 01-24-2004 04:30 PM

Wayne, thats got to be the best looking pickup I've ever seen in a long time. I'm just three miles or so away from you. I'd love to see it.

snowfighter 01-26-2004 07:34 AM

James, Thanks for your compliments, the truck has suffered a little this winter (won't fit in the garage) and I just can't seem to let it sit so It's pretty dirty right now but it does clean up well.I have added new wheels and tires since those photo's 35 12.5 bfg's and it gave it a tough look. I would be glad to let you see it listen to whatever catch me in the right mood I'd might let you drive it. Just let me Know when and where. As far as the cam goes I'll try to dig out my cam card. I run the prefomer 400 intake (non egr)and just switched to a 1405 carb My cam is probally a little wilder than I truley need but it Idles well and Has a little lope, Ides at 725 rpm, It makes power from Idle to about 5000 rpm. I really like my setup. My motor will pull 5500rpm consistantly.
Just let me know if I can help.
Wayne

indyjames500 01-27-2004 03:59 PM

Guys, I have made a temporary change to my engine which will keep it going a couple more months and then I'm pulling it. There will be no more discussion from me about this crap motor. I will answer question from members about my experience.

I have found my replacement engine and will save back the money so I can buy it. It's a high-performance Ford 400/V8 325Hp. The machine shop is S & S out of Washington state. The option only costs $1690 dollars. It incorporates everything that I have read about on FTE forums. I will mount this engine in my car long enough until I can find a mint condition 1979 Ford F250 rolling chassis with 4 X 2 drive, setup for C6 transmission.

On the distributor swap out I performed last year from points to electronic, well I'm taking that back out and putting my original points distributor back in with the Pertronix upgrade. I didn't know about Pertronix until yesterday. But I like what I've learned.

I'm sorry for the attitude but I'm sick of my engine, and will be glad to see it gone. I'm tired of playing catch me games.