Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum27/)
-   -   Resetting Tire Pressure Monitor (Ford Techs?) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/190843-resetting-tire-pressure-monitor-ford-techs.html)

ExpyBob 01-10-2004 01:01 PM

Resetting Tire Pressure Monitor (Ford Techs?)

Is there a way to do this without special tools?

If not where can you buy the tool?

Can someone explain this procedure and when it should be done. Some cars need it even after rotating the tires. Since their systems provide a specific pressure for each wheel.

The Ford system just says "Low Tire Pressure" you have to figure out which one.

Please help---Bob

Keydo 01-10-2004 01:13 PM

Ouch, it doesn't even tell you which tire or transmitter is indicating the low tire pressure?

I liked the idea of tire pressure monitoring, but did not like the fact that when you change wheels, the monitoring system was permanently installed on the stock wheels.

Which means once you go aftermarket wheels, you've disabled the tire pressure monitoring system.. Ugh.

daveplot 01-10-2004 04:57 PM

From the service dvd...

Sensor Training

NOTE: The tire pressure monitoring system is not affected by wheel and tire rotation.

NOTE: The tire pressure sensor training procedure must be done on a single vehicle, in an area without radio frequency (RF) noise.

RF noise is generated by electrical motor and appliance operation, cellular telephones, and remote transmitters.

1. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.

2. Turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position three times, ending in the RUN position. Do not wait more than two minutes between each key cycle.

3. Press and release the brake pedal.

4. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.

5. Turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position three times, ending in the RUN position. Do not wait more than two minutes between each key cycle.

6. Wen the message center displays "TRAIN LEFT FRONT TIRE", place the magnet on the valve stem of the LF tire pressure sensor. The horn will sound briefly to indicate that the tire pressure sensor has been recognized by the TPMS module.

7. Within two minutes after the horn sounds, place the magnet on the valve stem of the RF tire pressure sensor.

NOTE: If the TPMS module does not recognize any one of the five tire pressure sensors during the tire training procedure, the horn will sound twice and the message center will display "TIRE TRAINING MODE INCOMPLETE" and the procedure must be repeated.

8. eat Step 7 for the RR, LR, and spare tires.
When the tire training procedure is complete, the horn will sound once and the message center will display "TIRE TRAINING MODE COMPLETE".

-------

The only tool you need for this is "Activation Tool, Tire Pressure Monitor 204-324" which sounds like a magnet that screws onto the valve stem.

Unfortunatly the system only says: Tire Very Low, Check Tire Pressure, Check Spare Tire Pressure, or Tire Pressure Sensor Fault.

daveplot 01-10-2004 05:01 PM

Originally posted by Keydo
Which means once you go aftermarket wheels, you've disabled the tire pressure monitoring system.. Ugh.
Actually it can be removed and reinstalled on a new wheel. The way the service manual showes, it just hangs from the valve stem.

ExpyBob 01-10-2004 09:21 PM

Daveplot

It worked just as you said.

Thank you, Thank you and Thank you.

It did not look for the spare tire. After the four tires it said it was complete.

You would think that if you calibrate the tires in accordance with LF, RF, RR ,LR it would know which tire is low. But it don't.

Where do you get the CD srvice Manual.

Thanks again----Bob

daveplot 01-10-2004 10:20 PM

The service manual is from Ebay. If you search for 03 Ford DVD you will find it.

Mine is the 03-04 version (September Version 8)

The only drawback of the DVD is it "expires" so you have to set your computers clock back to use it. Each version "expires" a month after it's released. So when I use mine, I just set my clock back a year.

ms6073 01-12-2004 10:03 AM

Originally posted by daveplot
The only drawback of the DVD is it "expires" so you have to set your computers clock back to use it.
I got an official Ford Facotry Service DVD (the same one used by techs at Ford dealerships) by making a donation to the folks at Flatratetech.com. I got mine mid-year last year and it covers all Ford products produced between 96' & 03' and I have not experienced any type of expiration problem with it!

Michael

daveplot 01-12-2004 11:57 AM

Yes, that's the same type of DVD I have. Ford started putting expiration dates on any DVD after July 03 I believe. So that would include much of what is out there now.

ms6073 01-12-2004 12:31 PM

Oh no - well that certainly bites! Another reason for technicians to be upset with Ford!

Michael

peakay 04-09-2006 01:11 PM

I have this issue wiht our expy - can someone tell me where to get this magnet or other devise that allows me to rest the sensors? I bought a set of navigator wheels with the sensors in and though tthey would just work -- now i need to reset them.