Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum38/)
-   -   Tailgate mod idea, what do you guys think? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/189757-tailgate-mod-idea-what-do-you-guys-think.html)

TheMachfather 01-07-2004 03:19 PM

Tailgate mod idea, what do you guys think?

I've gotta find a place to get some '04 F-150 badges to put on my truck(i'll know the year for sure when my uncle gets the title but he's still bein lazy but oh well they're pretty much the same) and had a new idea today staring at the back of a supercab '04 in the Hardees drivethru...here's what I think I am gonna do...on my tailgate instead of having ford kinda imprinted into the tailgate like stock I'm going to get a flat piece of sheet metal the size of my tailgate, do abit of cutting and welding and make my tailgate completely flat and smooth like the new trucks and then get that bigass ford oval they use on the 04s and put it in the center. Just wondering what you guys opinions are on this and also what might be some good sources for the emblems/badges?

LxMan1 01-07-2004 05:07 PM

It would be different!!
Your local Ford Dealer would be abut the only place to get one that new I would think.

fordman428 01-07-2004 05:10 PM

it would definetly be different, but what the heck its worth i try, im sure it would look fine.

Supercab 01-07-2004 05:31 PM

I wouldn't waste your time or money trying to kind of make your '73-'79s tailgate look like an '04 F150s, those trucks are nice, I'm sure, but IMO they are kind of wussy looking on the interior and too boxy/square on the outside, I've yet to see an '04 "work truck" XL?? yet, but like I said I think they look over all wussy to me.
Anyway.....all that aside I'd buy yourself a tailgate trim panel for your year truck, it will fit over the embossed letters, and add a little sparkle to your truck, and look "right" too!

ivanribic 01-07-2004 05:38 PM

What I've been wanting to do (so many ideas, so little time) is cut a plate to fit over the back of my tailgate, so it covers the current embossed "Ford" letters. I'd cut "Ford" into the plate, in big bold letters, stick a piece of clear plexi behind it, and then put a red neon light on the edge of the plexi. You could hook it to your brake lights or tail lights so when it's on you've got a bright red "Ford" sign in your tailgate. I suppose you could do the oval also with plexi behind. One day with a plasma cutter and a welder and you can rig that tail gate any way you like.

Anyway, keep checking ebay for those emblems. I see them pop up on there all the time. I say anything out of the norm is cool on these older trucks.

swann79 01-07-2004 05:56 PM

I like the idea... I think it's awesome that Ford is finally showing some pride and slapping that big-ass blue oval in the middle of the tailgate! :-X01

79schaefer 01-08-2004 05:49 AM

I smoothed the gate on my 76 dually. I filled in the area where the embossed FORD was at. At the same time, I did my own flip handle to the inside of the gate. Really dressed up the rear of the truck. I also installed a roll pan.

Steve S.

TheMachfather 01-10-2004 12:07 PM

Any ideas on mounting a newer 90ish model on my truck if the latch is different? I havent even got to look at the differences but I wouldnt think it'd be that hard to swap on a newer tailgate and save me the trouble of smoothing out my stock.