Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum37/)
-   -   carbureted 300 6 f150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/183371-carbureted-300-6-f150.html)

mtkawboy 12-19-2003 05:06 PM

carbureted 300 6 f150

What was the last year that ford used a carburetor on the 300 6 cylinder f150 please?

brown 4x4 12-19-2003 05:19 PM

1986 was the last year for the carb, but it was an electronic feedback carb, which they started using in 1984. But not all models used it, so there can be an 86 with a factory non-feedback carb 300.

r8ptan8 12-19-2003 06:56 PM

Hey I was wondering if any of you guys could give me some adjustment specs on the carter YFA that came on my 85' 300 I6. Any info you guys have will be greatly appreciated thanks.

mtkawboy 12-19-2003 07:59 PM

Not me, mine is injected and I want to toss it and put a carb on it.

mtkawboy 12-19-2003 08:02 PM

Ford Truck 300 CID 6-cylinder, 1984-1985, feedback, carbureted

This pickup/Bronco application typically suffers from abuse, neglected service and a poorly designed manifold and feedback system. The vehicle will drive tolerably in open loop all the time, suffering from poor driveability and fuel economy (typically in the 8-10 mpg range). Check the mixture control solenoid on the carburetor for a varying duty cycle. A fixed 50 percent duty cycle is the open-loop default value. Check the oxygen sensor for switching (frequency) and amplitude. Verify powers and grounds to the ECU (computer - located inside, above the accelerator pedal). The ECU and 02 sensor grounds are on the firewall in the engine compartment low on the driver's side. Other critical inputs to the computer are the coolant temperature sensor and manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor (frequency-based), which both ground ahead and above the battery on the right inner fender well.

Manifold leaks are very common (both intake and exhaust). Check all manifold, carburetor mounting and manifold preheat bolts and gaskets for tightness and leaks (flowing propane around gasket areas makes this fairly simple). The exhaust manifold is a relatively thin casting and can be badly warped, particularly if the vehicle has been heavily loaded, used for towing or driven through deep water. A leaking exhaust manifold will dump raw oxygen on the O2 sensor and can make the feedback system attempt to go rich.

Carburetor throttle shaft wear is an area for particular attention. Some of the carburetor screws have a propensity for vibrating loose and having the carb literally disassemble itself in normal use. When rebuilding the carburetor pay careful attention to the reassembly of the accelerator pump components -- the washer goes on top of the diaphragm, not below it. This problem has been seen on several remanufactured carburetors as supplied from the rebuilder. Rejetting should be considered a last resort.

Air injection switching (upstream, downstream), exhaust system integrity, and catalyst function are areas of common problems on these trucks as well.

Chrysler, 1982-85, 2.2 liter K-Cars, feedback, carbureted

With the popularity of these early K-Cars, a wide variety of problems can exist. Before

mtkawboy 12-19-2003 08:04 PM

Found the above on the net on 85 carbs. Stuff on Chryslers is where I didnt cut it off far enough. Hope it helps

hermangarza 12-20-2003 09:20 PM

i have an 81 f-100 with an I6 300 1 barrel carb and i think i get good mpg but i only have connected the fuel and the linkage to it and a round air cleaner. i saw that it has an egr but it is also disconnected would it be wise to remove it?