Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Performance & General Engine Building (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum47/)
-   -   who makes good engine kits? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/182284-who-makes-good-engine-kits.html)

hazardousdrew 12-16-2003 04:43 PM

who makes good engine kits?

who makes good engine kits? Im either looking for a 460 or a 514 so who makes a good kit for either engine and how much does it cost for the kit? which engine would you get and why? Oh yeah jwtaylor i cant email andbody yet because im still a new member so until i get 25 post and unti ive been a member for 30 days i cant email you.

f100guy 12-16-2003 06:58 PM

check this site. www.jegs.com

www.summitracing.com

of course you know the big blocks stuff are going to cost more than the small block stuff considerably. why not get a 351 and stroke it to a 391 or a 427. that means big block torque with small block weight. but still a stroker will wear out faster than a regular stroke 351 or any motor. it would be best to get a cheap 351 from a friend or a junkyard and have it machined. get the block decked to get more compression. get is bored to the next size if the bores are scared. if you bore it over to much you will have overheating problems and also when you need to bore it again you won't be able to. get some good heads and have them ported and polished with bigger valves and some good aftermarket valvesprings and retainers. then get a good power at idle cam unless you want it to lope. then if it lopes you need a manual tranny or a stall convertor. if you have an auto,which i recomend in a truck since you can't shift it fast enough like a short throw in a stang. get a c6 tranny. and rebuild it if needed. get some torrington bearings and a b&m shift kit. and a set of 3.55 gears for the rear end. that is if you are going to use a fair idle cam. get some ceramic coat headers and a nice exhaust. i forgot about the internals of the motor. how dumb. hyperuetectic pistons are great up to 400 hp i think. i have them. but if you want stronger get some forged pistons with stock 351 rods and ARP rod studs. i think that is the brand. get the crank turned if needed and get some new bearings and seals. i have a weiend street avenger intake on my 302. i like it but you may want something else. along with a good edelbrock 650 cfm carb. that is the makings of a good strong engine. i built my 302 myself too. it is very strong and it lopes hard but i need a stall convertor and higher gears.

jwtaylor 12-17-2003 08:12 AM

The summit kits as f100guy are pretty good kits. However they are only pistons with rings, bearings, and gaskets. How complete a kit are you looking for? Where you able to get a catalog from PAW? Their prices aren't the greatest in all cases but they literally have everything you could imagine in one book. www.northernautoparts.com has some decent kits, parts, prices. later

hazardousdrew 12-18-2003 09:44 PM

Im looking for a kit that includes the piston and rings and all that along with the engine block. Im looking for something pretty complete because i dont know enough yet about engines to be able to pick everything out individually. When i have all the parts someone is going to help me build it. Hes my dads work friend. I dont really want to bother him with all the decisions. So any advice or info is welcomed. By the way i wasnt able to get a catalog from PAW ive heard that theyre not the best at good quality parts so im not sure if i really want to buy from them.

jwtaylor 12-18-2003 09:59 PM

Paw is about the only company I know of that sells a complete engine including the block as a kit, there may be others. Should you find one let me know. You could always pick a motor up at a junkyard, go talk to a local machinist that comes with a good reputation and he would be able to set you up. I e-mailed you, to give you my e-mail address, you must not have gotten it. later

Alz Ryde 12-21-2003 08:08 PM

:) Well, I'm kinda partial to Speed-O-Motive. They've been around since the '40's, and were ( still might be ) into running at Bonneville Salt Flats. Of course I might be a little biased since I lived in the same town as " El Monte Al " Teage, and built a healthy 390 using one of his kits back in the '70's. Al

521_Ford 12-24-2003 02:41 PM

I am having a "521 complete" built by Speed-O-Motive. I'm awaiting delivery, and I have to say, so far it's been a good experience. They really seem to know their stuff, and are patient.

They asked me what I wanted to do, and what gains I expected to see, and then recommended the 521. They went through it with me step by step what they were going to build. It seems they will put together pretty much anything you are looking for. They faxed me over the build-up sheet of exactly the parts they are going to use and their cost. The thought “Amateurs built the ARK, and Professionals built the Titanic” crossed my mind for about 2.4 seconds.

I'm expecting delivery of the motor mid January. If you want, I'll update you when it arrives.

By the way Alz, I was told they are running the Flats this year, and also are sponsoring the #17 CORR truck this year, unfortunately they are sponsoring the other brand!

521_Ford

94F150-408 12-24-2003 03:13 PM

Hey 521_Ford,
tell us more about this engine, I'm already starting to drool!
HP, torque, Heads, forged, etc. All that good stuff!!!

521_Ford 12-24-2003 04:37 PM

Ok, Here goes:

FULLY MACHINED 460 BLOCK TORQUE PLATE BORED .030 & HONED
SCATT HIGH-NODULAR SERIES CAST STROKER CRANK 4.3 INCH
EAGLE 4340 H BEAM CONNECTING RODS
TRW FORGED DOMED PISTONS 92CC = 9.0:1 -26 CC
SEALED POWERCAST PISTON RINGS
CLEVITE TRI-METAL ROD & MAIN BEARINGS
PRO-TOP LINE FAST BURN HEADS 2.08 / 1.65" WITH STAINLESS VALVES
ARP HEAD BOLTS, ARP MAIN STUD KIT
FELPRO HEAD GASKET SET .041
COMP. CAMS MAGNUM ROLLER ROCKERS 7/16", 1.72 RATIO
MANLEY 3/8" PUSHRODS
MANLEY SCREW IN STUDS AND GUIDE PLATES
CLOYDS MAGNUM DOUBLE ROLLER TIMING SET (PRE 1973)
COMP. XTREME ENERGY HYDR. CAM (XE262H)
ARP CAM BOLT KIT
DURABOND CAM BEARINGS
SPEED PRO LIFTERS
HIGH VOLUME OIL PUMP WITH PICKUP
ARP COMPLETE ENGINE FASTNER KIT
PRECISION BALANCING TO WITHIN 1/2 GRAM
BLUEPRINT & LINE HONE
PORT & POLISH HEADS
CNC BLOCK, HEADS & INTAKE
BEAD BLAST INTAKE MANIFOLD
BANKS POWERPACK EXHAUST

The cam is being set in at zero degrees, and I'm using pre 73 timing set. Going to use a Diablo 3 stage chip provided by Motorhaven.com. As far as HP and Torque, anybodys want to make a guess? Factory intake, factory fuel injection. Oh, and it's going to pass CA smog requirements.

I'm guessing 425-450 hp. More importantly to me is the torque, and with stroking it almost 1/2", it should have plenty. It's going in a 95 f-250 with an E4OD and 4:10 rearend.

521_Ford

jwtaylor 12-24-2003 04:56 PM

521_Ford

Impressive set up, I would almost be afraid to ask what all that is gonna lighten the wallet.

What did they say the motor should make hp and tq wise?
later

521_Ford 12-24-2003 05:11 PM

They estimated 500 hp, but I think that is a bit optimistic. I decided if I was going to undertake a project of this magnatude, it was going to be worth my time and money. I'm restoring the truck to new condition, wanting a "Show and Go" truck. The Go expenses are adding up to about $9,000. Engine, Exhaust, Computer Mods, trans, rearend. I expect when done, $10,000 in Go, and $5,000 in show will do it.

I was going to buy a new truck to replace this one, it was looking like I was going to be spending $35,000 for a new one. Instead, I will have exactly what I want at less than half the price. I bought the truck new in 1995 for $25,000.

521_Ford

jwtaylor 12-24-2003 05:43 PM

Sounds about right $$$ wise.

I would think 500hp would be reasonable if not conservative, with the parts and work you listed, then again, I am thinking in the respect of carbed and you are running efi, 500hp and efi would be nice and doable.

Well being in CA I bet your truck is still in pretty good condition, is that f250 a 2wd? Good luck with your truck and by all means keep us updated on your progress. What kinda tq did they say to expect? If I had to guess it would be 600-650. later

521_Ford 12-24-2003 06:02 PM

Yes, it's a 2wd. Estimating Tq to be around 600. Thanks, I will let you know when I do some Dyno pulls on it.

I would be very happy to see those kind of numbers in the HP & TQ, and drive it another 150,000 miles.

521_Ford

jwtaylor 12-24-2003 09:03 PM

Originally posted by 521_Ford

I would be very happy to see those kind of numbers in the HP & TQ, and drive it another 150,000 miles.

521_Ford

That would be nice. later

521_Ford 12-25-2003 05:00 AM

Originally posted by jwtaylor

Sounds about right $$$ wise.

I would think 500hp would be reasonable if not conservative, with the parts and work you listed, then again, I am thinking in the respect of carbed and you are running efi, 500hp and efi would be nice and doable.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Electronic fuel injection I thought is considered to be superior to carburetion because it allows more precise fuel metering for easier starting, lower emissions, better fuel economy and performance?

I read some where that the worst EFI system is still better than the best carb.