Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Modular V10 (6.8l) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum49/)
-   -   Aerotanks or Transfer Flow Replacement Fuel Tank (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/180625-aerotanks-or-transfer-flow-replacement-fuel-tank.html)

lacofd33 12-11-2003 11:48 AM

Aerotanks or Transfer Flow Replacement Fuel Tank

Anyone out there using a Aerotanksor Transfer Flow Replacement Fuel Tank For your V-10. I would like to replace the existing 27 gallon tank or whatever size it is with a larger tank. I do not want an auxillary tank in the bed of my truck I want a replacement for the original gas tank. Please let me know what you think of your aftermarket tank. Pros and Cons. Also capacity of the new tank and Price.

Thanks in advanceOo.

CmprSpecial 12-11-2003 12:24 PM

http://www.aerotanks.com/ford.html

I have been looking at one of these too. I heard that the 55 gal that would fit into my '04 was $488 + install (ouch!).

ken04 12-11-2003 02:30 PM

Originally posted by CmprSpecial
http://www.aerotanks.com/ford.html

I have been looking at one of these too. I heard that the 55 gal that would fit into my '04 was $488 + install (ouch!).

Would it be a difficult job to do yourself ? Just thinking about it seems fairly straightforward doesn't it ? Drain the tank, disconnect the filler, the feed line and the return lines, drop the tank, remove the gauge sending unit and replace it all in the new tank in opposite order, right ? The actually tank shouldn't be heavy. I'm pretty sure the new tank comes with appropriate straps. Unless labor is an hour or two I think I would do it myself.

L_Lucas 12-11-2003 02:52 PM

The aerotank site is screwed! I tried to order one of the 55 gallon tanks and was told it was really only for diesel trucks. I told 'em they oughta fix their website and they just said "Yeah". Buncha dweebs!

champdog 08-16-2004 04:43 PM

same problum

I had the thing happen at Aerotank. they were kinda rude about it. then hung up on me when i tryed to ask a question. I have been looking at transferflow but it seames they dont have a replcement for a 98 250. Any body know where I could find a replacement for this year.

SMarquez 08-16-2004 05:22 PM

I did some research. They are not legal for use in California due to emission regs. The larger tank fools the computer into thinking there is leak in the cap and fails emissions. They also say they build the tank to fit each truck when you come in.
i contacted CARB to see about a waiver and it didn't seem like something that would happen. 29 gallons seems dumb for a V10 to tow with.
SMarquez 264C

XCELR8 08-17-2004 08:56 AM

I think the existing tank is 38 gallons.

Mwachel 08-21-2004 10:36 AM

Shortbed is 29 and longbed is 36 gallons.

V-10Triton 09-11-2004 12:51 PM

I'm back!

Hi guys it's been awhile. i been wrenchin my v10 for 25 hours this week
I got my torque tubes almost in i messeded up a gasket. got my wiringharness out for repairs, got my ecu box out to check code. blah blah balh the list goes on. anyway this thread got me interested. i got a 46 gallon transfer flow tank in my bed room. i am very happy with it's quality. the installation looks strait forward. Nothing like the 6 exhaust studs i broke flush.
The tank is a monster and weighs alot being steel shouldn't be to muchj more effort installing it empty then removeing the stock one with let's say 10gal. in it. sorry this post doesn't contain any real info just felt like saying hi!
If you want the tank comes with full blue prints i can fax or email if anyone cares.

Fredvon4 09-11-2004 07:48 PM

Stock SB is 29 Gal and LB has always been 38 gallon, 99-to present.

All the aftermarket companies are focused on the diesel tanks. Ford made 75% of all superduty trucks weith PSD. There are distinct differences between a gas and diesle tanK!

Make sure you got the right goods, and don't expect your $500-700 to get you much help from any of the companies. This has been much chatted about over the last four years here and on the dielse site.

V-10Triton 09-17-2004 08:35 PM

I have a 46 gallon steel transferflow tank

ya it's actually in my bedroom i am installing next week. comes with a large "vapor recovery" can. couple things i don't like about it but it is quite nice.

V-10Triton 09-17-2004 08:37 PM

ohh sorry i didn't see i had already posted in this thread. i guess it's just an update that i still don't have it in :'(

terry_opie 09-22-2004 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by V-10Triton
couple things i don't like about it but it is quite nice.

What is it that you don't like about it? I've been looking at the Transfer Flow tanks for a while, so any input would be appreciated.

V-10Triton 09-23-2004 09:37 AM

It it is really nice, i didn't mean to bash it. but
1. the price is two much (not a problem now since i don't care)
2 It is setup for stock fuel system ( which most of you would think is a good thing. i would like bottem mounted pick-up with a steel plate to protect them but i wouldn't dare weld on an 900$ fuel tank.

It is a 46 gallon tank which i wish was alittle large like 65. but 46 isn't to shabby foir a v-10. I bought it to minimise fuel contamination by fueling less often and being able to run only sunoco ultra 94 from specific fuel station i know to be ok.

as far as 400-500 dollars to install.... i'd say it isn't worth paying if your vehicle as 8" of lift like mine. even at stock high i'd rather do it myself.

It comes with some sick blueprints of the tank and emmisions canister.

will-f250 09-24-2004 12:50 AM

Go to their shop and talk with areotank in person. The service engine soon light will show on your dash within 1000miles or so with the larger tank. Over the phone they will say there is no Gas tank available but they did install a 55 gal tank in my short bed crewcab v10.