Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   12v switched power (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/17934-12v-switched-power.html)

69_bronco 12-21-2002 09:10 PM

12v switched power

OD 12-23-2002 01:25 PM

12v switched power

I know this has been covered before, but I did not see an answer. I have a 2002 F350 4X4 SRW truck with a service body mounted on it. I want to find a way to get 12 volt power that will go off with the key. I want to install an hourmeter on the console to keep track of running time, and have a way to turn off CB and analog phone when I'm not in the rig.
I found in the fuse panel, #29 fuse is described in the owner's manual as being for "customer accessories". I thought about using a fuse tap, but what does this fuse send power to? Is there a plug or unused wire somewhere in the harness that I can just connect to? A tech at the Ford garage said I should look for a white/light blue wire at the rear of the power panel. I pulled the panel out, and I did not find such a wire; in fact, no unconnected wires at all. Can anyone help? Thanks :-huh

FortyFords 12-23-2002 03:19 PM

12v switched power

Okay ,the Ford tech is correct it is White with light blue.you need to find the diagnostic connector,then follow the wiring harness up from
it towards the bottom of the instrument cluster,supposedly the wire is tied back there.

This is the wire they use for the pto power!
Hope this helps!
:-X12

Rich

02 F250 4x4 SC 5.4v8 6spd 3.73ls Trueblue/Silver and Chrome Nerfs

"All Levers"

OD 12-23-2002 04:50 PM

12v switched power

Thanks, I'll look at it later tonight if I can. Got to work tomorrow, the boss just called. I thought (silly me) that I had the week off. I felt it had to be something simple. I'll post back with results. Thanks again. odie

OD 12-23-2002 07:41 PM

12v switched power

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 23-Dec-02 AT 08:44 PM (EST)] Thanks again. I found the wire where you said it was, and I'm all hooked up to the voltmeter and hourmeter. I think before I hook up the CB and the phone, I'll put in a Bosch relay and use this power source just to pull it in; take power direct from the battery through a fuse for their power. It would take some of the load off that 10 amp fuse!
Thanks also for the FAQ thread, guys. I pulled out my key switch and taped up the contacts for the key-in-the-switch dinger. I like the other things it warns me about, but that drives me nuts with the door open.
I'm new here, but y'all have been a great help to me already. Thanks.

fatdaddy 12-23-2002 08:30 PM

12v switched power

That CB or any cb for that matter is going to pull probably less than 5 amps as legally , they can only put out 5 watts of power...on the other hand if that 5 watts is used too Drive a linear amplifier of some significant power level you will definitely need a Fuse.....fd