Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/178982-power-service-diesel-fuel-supplement.html)

coglesby 12-06-2003 09:25 PM

Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement

Does anyone use Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement in their 6.0L? Claims to improve fuel economy by enough to pay for itself. Anyone have experience that validates this claim?

Thanks,

SBV45 12-07-2003 09:38 AM

I have been using it because it was cheap and available and I couldn't find the Stanadyne. You have to double the mixture to get a cetane increase according to the instructions on the label. I have noticed a slight 1 to 1.5 mpg around town. Does it pay for itself? I haven't done the math. With diesel prices shooting up the way they are, it helps.

I ordered the Stanadyne off the net.

Ron Chichelli 05-16-2008 12:14 PM

I have a 1999 7.3 and use the fuel supplement also, it comes in a white bottle.I am not sure what the Diesel Kleen(gray bottle) does different.Is there a difference in what they do?

gtodalep 05-16-2008 12:21 PM

I have an '03 6.0 and lose 1 - 1.5 mpg when i use it. I use the gray bottle, the white is anti-gel for cold weather. I have not tried Stanadyne.

walrus 05-16-2008 01:25 PM

I've used the grey bottle. Mine seems to run a bit quieter, fuel mileage might be a little better, but probably not enough to offset the cost. I run 2x recommeded.

wwb 05-19-2008 10:23 AM

If you buy it (either the grey or the white) in the big jug instead of the quart size, the cost per fill is really chump change. Whether it helps mileage or not, they both help cold starting, and both now include a "slick diesel" lubricity additive.

And, if you live up north, the white bottle is really a good thing in the winter.

walrus 05-19-2008 10:30 AM

wwb, you're right. It is much cheaper to buy it by the jug. That's usually how I buy it. I transfer into the small bottles to make it easier to get into the tank.

Beamer 2 05-19-2008 11:56 AM

I've used Power Service in my '07 since it was new. Living in up state NY I use the white bottle year round. I mix it 50% greater than the minimum mixture on the bottle. I get 17 to 18 mpg average - 19 to 20 on a trip at 60 to 65 mph. I like the slick diesel lubricity and added cittane for summer and the idea of not freesing up in the winter.

1 Ton Tommy 05-20-2008 07:41 AM

In a conversation with an engineer from Ford about my power issues, Power Service and Stanadyne were mentioned. He thought the cetane boost would help some with my power issues. He cautioned me that these products do not do as much for gelling since ultra low sulfur as they did on the older fuel blends. He recommended using 50/50 no.1/no.2 blend instead of the additive route for winter protection.

brian42 05-20-2008 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Ron Chichelli (Post 6160984)
I have a 1999 7.3 and use the fuel supplement also, it comes in a white bottle.I am not sure what the Diesel Kleen(gray bottle) does different.Is there a difference in what they do?

the gray bottle is the cetane boost and lubricity enhancer and the white bottle is the cetane boost only for winter blend. I live in So Cal and only use the gray bottle ("winter" is anything less than 60F out here).

I've been using it in mine shortly after getting my rig and I think it helps. Quieter and around 1 mpg better (after the first couple of tanks). Since mine is the 7.3 and my rubber o-rings weren't designed around ULSD, I use it to help mileage and to lubricate all those pesky o-rings.

I use the recommended amount. The bottle says you can't use too much and I'm sure I've built a stockpile of it from the residual left in the tank when I fill it. I buy mine at Wal-Mart for about $16 for a 96oz jug (16oz bottle is around $7). I have a small 16oz bottle that I just pour into and take with me to fill up. You can also get the 16oz bottles at Kragen's (Schuck's/Checker) and Pep Boys (Pep Boys also carries the 96oz jug too).

OZX1 05-20-2008 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by brian42 (Post 6173805)
the gray bottle is the cetane boost and lubricity enhancer and the white bottle is the cetane boost only for winter blend. I live in So Cal and only use the gray bottle ("winter" is anything less than 60F out here).

I've been using it in mine shortly after getting my rig and I think it helps. Quieter and around 1 mpg better (after the first couple of tanks). Since mine is the 7.3 and my rubber o-rings weren't designed around ULSD, I use it to help mileage and to lubricate all those pesky o-rings.

I use the recommended amount. The bottle says you can't use too much and I'm sure I've built a stockpile of it from the residual left in the tank when I fill it. I buy mine at Wal-Mart for about $16 for a 96oz jug (16oz bottle is around $7). I have a small 16oz bottle that I just pour into and take with me to fill up. You can also get the 16oz bottles at Kragen's (Schuck's/Checker) and Pep Boys (Pep Boys also carries the 96oz jug too).

Brian-
Do you use 8 oz per tank, or 16 oz? I use to use 4 oz, but have started using 8 for the last couple of tanks. I notice better overall mileage and performance with the 2x dose. I wonder what 4x will do?

Blaster7Romeo 05-20-2008 10:53 AM

If you are running B-5 do you need to run any for lubricity reasons. or will the 5% bio take care of that?

wwb 05-20-2008 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Blaster7Romeo (Post 6174380)
If you are running B-5 do you need to run any for lubricity reasons. or will the 5% bio take care of that?

5% bio is an excellent fuel for lubricity purposes. If you live up north, however, you would do well to avoid the bio in the winter, as it gels very easily, and at substatially higher temps than petroleum diesel. Add the Power Service white in the winter.

Regarding the Power Service stuff..... both white and grey now have a lubricity additive for ULSD. I'm not certain how effective it is, so I'm still adding a lubricity additive. Both the white and the grey have a cetane booster, but the grey gives you a couple more points than the white. The grey also contains an injector cleaner, while the white contains an anti-gel for low temp use.

brian42 05-20-2008 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Blaster7Romeo (Post 6174380)

B-5 will take care of all your lubricity needs.

Originally Posted by ozx3+1 (Post 6174380)
Brian-
Do you use 8 oz per tank, or 16 oz? I use to use 4 oz, but have started using 8 for the last couple of tanks. I notice better overall mileage and performance with the 2x dose. I wonder what 4x will do??

I use about 10 oz. per tank. I did the harpoon mod when I installed my ITP in-tank mod so I am running around 33-35 gallons in my tank when it's full. Since 32oz treats up to 100gal I use 1/3 of that (about 10oz). With the residual fuel still in the tank when I fill it I get a little over the recommended dose. The bottle even says you can't use too much and it boosts the cetane rating. When I first started I poured a whole bottle in each tank for two tanks and then backed off to the standard dose recommended. I definitely noticed an mpg increase when I dump 32oz's in, but dumping in $7 worth of additive into $130 worth of fuel gets pricey, so I get some better performance, economy and lubricity all for about $3 a tank (I get about 9 tanks out of my 96oz jug that cost me $16 at Wal-Mart).

Blaster7Romeo 05-20-2008 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by wwb (Post 6174742)
5% bio is an excellent fuel for lubricity purposes. If you live up north, however, you would do well to avoid the bio in the winter, as it gels very easily, and at substatially higher temps than petroleum diesel. Add the Power Service white in the winter.

Regarding the Power Service stuff..... both white and grey now have a lubricity additive for ULSD. I'm not certain how effective it is, so I'm still adding a lubricity additive. Both the white and the grey have a cetane booster, but the grey gives you a couple more points than the white. The grey also contains an injector cleaner, while the white contains an anti-gel for low temp use.

Ok... so would it be worth it to run the gray for the cetane boost and injector cleaner? all the time? normal rate or 2x?