Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Swapping 04 F250 5.4 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1753079-swapping-04-f250-5-4-a.html)

Eatham_Salmon1 04-29-2024 08:52 AM

Swapping 04 F250 5.4

I have a 2004 F250 Super Duty that I'm looking to take the engine out of. It's got the 5.4 and it just feels super sluggish for driving with out even towing. I was looking to swap in a 454 or a 496 Chevy motor. I'm not worried about fuel mileage. I just wanna know how hard it would be and if anyone has any experience

99powerstrokedF250 04-29-2024 11:23 AM

First, I wouldn't drop a Chevy motor in it, I'd stick with a Ford. Maybe go old-school with a 460 or modified variant thereof.

I don't know if there's kits to put a BB Chevy in these trucks, but if there isn't you're going to be doing a LOT of fab work and custom wiring to make things work.

I would actually look to see if there's anything actually wrong with the 5.4 that's already in the truck - the gearing setup in Super Duties doesn't let the 5.4 shine, it needs to rev higher to make power because it's an OHC engine. If you don't let it rev up it's going to feel sluggish.

If there's nothing wrong with the motor you've got, you might want to consider a (mild) power adder, just to give it a little more grunt.

Old and soft 04-29-2024 04:30 PM

All you need to do is fab motor mounts. Find a trans that bolts to the motor. Fab a trans mount. Bolt on a different transfer case. Get some proper driveshafts. Figure out some wiring, fuel system, and some cooling.
Everybody I know that is capable of this kind of thing doesn't ask how, they say hold my beer.

99powerstrokedF250 04-30-2024 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Old and soft (Post 21211946)
All you need to do is fab motor mounts. Find a trans that bolts to the motor. Fab a trans mount. Bolt on a different transfer case. Get some proper driveshafts. Figure out some wiring, fuel system, and some cooling.
Everybody I know that is capable of this kind of thing doesn't ask how, they say hold my beer.

Like I said I've never done it, but if I really wanted to I COULD (I have put a LOT of different motors into cars they didn't belong in). It sounds like OP is wanting to do something similar to his truck but may not have the skillset to do so.

Eatham_Salmon1 04-30-2024 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by 99powerstrokedF250 (Post 21212461)
Like I said I've never done it, but if I really wanted to I COULD (I have put a LOT of different motors into cars they didn't belong in). It sounds like OP is wanting to do something similar to his truck but may not have the skillset to do so.

That's probably true lol. I'm pretty new to all of it and this is my first Ford truck. I've only owned Chevys up till now. I've got the basic knowledge but no experience with swaps. But if I do choose the power adder route with let's say a supercharger. Would a 3v supercharger fit on a 2v or would I have to find a 2v supercharger?

redford 04-30-2024 07:46 AM

If you want a reliable swap that will create a powerful truck, look at a Cummins swap.

STOFFERJ 04-30-2024 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Eatham_Salmon1 (Post 21211419)
I have a 2004 F250 Super Duty that I'm looking to take the engine out of. It's got the 5.4 and it just feels super sluggish for driving with out even towing. I was looking to swap in a 454 or a 496 Chevy motor. I'm not worried about fuel mileage. I just wanna know how hard it would be and if anyone has any experience

a 5.4 in a HUGE truck was a horrible idea anyway, then the good idea piņata keeps getting smacked.

have you looked into adding some boost?

STOFFERJ 04-30-2024 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Eatham_Salmon1 (Post 21212477)
That's probably true lol. I'm pretty new to all of it and this is my first Ford truck. I've only owned Chevys up till now. I've got the basic knowledge but no experience with swaps. But if I do choose the power adder route with let's say a supercharger. Would a 3v supercharger fit on a 2v or would I have to find a 2v supercharger?

the three valve and two valves are different intake manifolds