Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Detroit-Eaton True Trac TRACKS (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1752962-detroit-eaton-true-trac-tracks.html)

John in OkieLand 04-27-2024 05:26 PM

Detroit-Eaton True Trac TRACKS

for those who are still wondering, which locker diff should I buy?

After a LOT of forum reading, I decided to go with the Detroit True Trac.
Why, because under normal conditions, you don't even know it is there, I have driven this truck over 6,000 miles since it was installed, and finally, I got to see it work.

Up in Cleveland, Utah where I am now, the farm is up on a hill, and the soil is a mix of cliche and clay. I knew when I went to town, that coming back was going to be trouble.
It started raining last night about 8pm and kept it up all night long, not heavy, just a continuous light down pour.... not enough to make ruts, but the ground is too slippery for me to walk on in the wet spots.

but, inside the truck, I never felt a thing, those street treads ( Michelin LTX Defenders ) just went right up the hill.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...91beb558a9.jpg

if you look real close, the right rear wheel slips in the mud, and about 18 inches later, the driver side wheel catches hold and pulls ahead, and that repeats all the way up the hill.

it ain't an Air or Electric Locker, but it is the Best thing for us City folk who never go Rock Climbing.

the tracks to the far Left are where I went down the 15 degree hill to the highway.

BWST 04-27-2024 05:40 PM

Planning to install that locker with 4:30 gears this fall. Where would you recommend buying one of these mechanical marvels?

callforfire 04-27-2024 06:34 PM

I got both of mine from East Coast Gear Supply. Torque King 4x4 has also been good to me with axle stuff.
Enjoyed the truetrac in 10.5 so much that I put one in front when I went D60. She just goes.

Tpayne621 04-27-2024 07:06 PM

Lockers are so much nicer then limited slip. I have a factory e locker out of a 11+ superduty in mine. Wired up to a upfitter switch. Got a very good deal on it.

John in OkieLand 04-27-2024 07:54 PM

gasp,
bought mine from Amazon I think?

yup, just found the order

aawlberninf350 04-28-2024 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by John in OkieLand (Post 21209914)
for those who are still wondering, which locker diff should I buy?

After a LOT of forum reading, I decided to go with the Detroit True Trac.
Why, because under normal conditions, you don't even know it is there, I have driven this truck over 6,000 miles since it was installed, and finally, I got to see it work.

Up in Cleveland, Utah where I am now, the farm is up on a hill, and the soil is a mix of cliche and clay. I knew when I went to town, that coming back was going to be trouble.
It started raining last night about 8pm and kept it up all night long, not heavy, just a continuous light down pour.... not enough to make ruts, but the ground is too slippery for me to walk on in the wet spots.

but, inside the truck, I never felt a thing, those street treads ( Michelin LTX Defenders ) just went right up the hill.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...91beb558a9.jpg

if you look real close, the right rear wheel slips in the mud, and about 18 inches later, the driver side wheel catches hold and pulls ahead, and that repeats all the way up the hill.

it ain't an Air or Electric Locker, but it is the Best thing for us City folk who never go Rock Climbing.

the tracks to the far Left are where I went down the 15 degree hill to the highway.

Reps for the great pic! You can see it working. :-X22

udsuth78 04-28-2024 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by BWST (Post 21209926)
Planning to install that locker with 4:30 gears this fall. Where would you recommend buying one of these mechanical marvels?

4.30 gears!? You got plans for some 40/13.5/17's to slide under the ol' girl too, or just like redlining at 65?

John in OkieLand 04-28-2024 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by aawlberninf350 (Post 21210213)
Reps for the great pic! You can see it working. :-X22

I wanted to get closer so the camera would show the right and left tracks a bit better,
but when I walked up closer to the tracks where the diff was changing sides ( traction )
the camera's view lost the perspective that was needed...

so, I had to back up a few feet to get the "look" of the soil being stirred up.

what you don't see here, is the dozen other snapshots I took,
higher up, lower down, this snapshot was about midway amongst all the others...

higher/lower, really changed the perspective of the tracks.

the human eye is good at noting "3D" dimensions, the camera not so good, it flattens out the perspective.

ESwift 04-28-2024 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by udsuth78 (Post 21210225)
4.30 gears!? You got plans for some 40/13.5/17's to slide under the ol' girl too, or just like redlining at 65?

I run 4.30 on stock tires, amazing for towing. 75mph is about 2500rpm

ESwift 04-28-2024 07:35 AM

I have run the truetrac for several years, I love it. Well mannered and does its job very well

FordTruckNoob 04-28-2024 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by BWST (Post 21209926)

I bought mine from Drivetrain America.
https://www.drivetrainamerica.com/91...rd-10-25-10-5/

Originally Posted by udsuth78 (Post 21210225)

4.30 is great for towing. I run it with 37” tires.

Y2KW57 04-28-2024 10:40 AM

I struggle with the same dilemma all the time... trying to convey with a still camera what is better seen and understood in person.

But I refuse to use video, because a photo takes less than a second for the viewer to see, while a video takes several seconds simply to open, never mind see.

Originally Posted by John in OkieLand (Post 21210278)
I wanted to get closer so the camera would show the right and left tracks a bit better,
but when I walked up closer the camera's view lost the perspective that was needed...

what you don't see here, is the dozen other snapshots I took, higher/lower, really changed the perspective

the human eye is good at noting "3D" dimensions, the camera not so good, it flattens out the perspective.

FordTruckNoob 04-28-2024 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Y2KW57 (Post 21210513)
I struggle with the same dilemma all the time... trying to convey with a still camera what is better seen and understood in person.

But I refuse to use video, because a photo takes less than a second for the viewer to see, while a video takes several seconds simply to open, never mind see.

one word: TikTok *runs*

John in OkieLand 04-29-2024 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by FordTruckNoob (Post 21211045)
one word: TikTok *runs*

I don't have a clue what that is supposed to mean?

I refuse to use TikTok

Tpayne621 04-29-2024 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by John in OkieLand (Post 21211184)
I don't have a clue what that is supposed to mean?

I refuse to use TikTok

Don't do it. It's like crack. You can spend hours on there. Surprisingly there is actually some good info on there from the right people.