Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2017+ Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum279/)
-   -   blackening raised white letters (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1718709-blackening-raised-white-letters.html)

Mick83 02-28-2023 10:16 AM

blackening raised white letters

My new truck came with Michelin tires, raised white letters.
I prefer plain tires.
It would cost $100 to remount them with the letters inside.
Has anyone painted or otherwise blackened out raised white letters with success?
If so, how?
Thank you

Ltngdrvr 02-28-2023 10:39 AM

Haven't seen it in a while, but they used to make stuff called "TIRE BLACK", it was black sidewall paint, if they still make it you could try that.
But, I think you'll be disappointed in the results.
Best bet is to bite the bullet and get them turned insides out.
Personally, I bought white letter tires on purpose for mine, adds style to the tires.

Rwhjr 02-28-2023 10:42 AM

I’d flip ‘em

chadstickpoindexter 02-28-2023 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Rwhjr (Post 20759877)
I’d flip ‘em

Yep, when it’s time for your first rotation just get them to flip them then.

Rwhjr 02-28-2023 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by chadstickpoindexter (Post 20759883)
Yep, when it’s time for your first rotation just get them to flip them then.

plus if he paints raised white letters, the first time anything brushed the sidewalls the white would start coming back thru).

Good call on just doing it at next tire rotation.

d7velo1 02-28-2023 11:00 AM

I agree with others telling you to just pay to have them flipped. 'Do it right, or do it again' comes to mind. You won't be happy with long term results of painting the letters.

CheeseheadFord 02-28-2023 11:25 AM

Why would the OP wait until tire rotation? They're charging him 100 to remove and remount the tire, gonna be the same price whether he does it now or waits for a rotation I'd imagine.... I agree though, do it right otherwise you won't be happy with the results.

Rwhjr 02-28-2023 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by CheeseheadFord (Post 20759947)
Why would the OP wait until tire rotation? They're charging him 100 to remove and remount the tire, gonna be the same price whether he does it now or waits for a rotation I'd imagine.... I agree though, do it right otherwise you won't be happy with the results.

because cheesehead….one less trip to a shop. Maybe my man uses the truck for work as well and I know that’s a plus if there’s less downtime. You don’t see any benefit of getting it done when the truck will already be in there?

especially when it won’t hurt anything on the truck to go a few thousand more miles before doing it.

not a sermon, just a thought.

WAVERUNR 02-28-2023 01:35 PM

...maybe it's one of my peeves, but to me white lettering on the inside is "just not right" and looks ridiculous. I'd either deal with the white lettering or get different tires. You would get decent $ for the take-offs that you could put toward the new set.

ToMang07 02-28-2023 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by WAVERUNR (Post 20760084)
...maybe it's one of my peeves, but to me white lettering on the inside is "just not right" and looks ridiculous. I'd either deal with the white lettering or get different tires. You would get decent $ for the take-offs that you could put toward the new set.

You see it that much do you? The inside of the tires? lol

rna352 02-28-2023 03:50 PM

3M Single Step (urethane) primer. It is designed for windshields but is popular for blacking out tire lettering in certain circles.

edited to add:

CheeseheadFord 02-28-2023 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Rwhjr (Post 20759950)
because cheesehead….one less trip to a shop. Maybe my man uses the truck for work as well and I know that’s a plus if there’s less downtime. You don’t see any benefit of getting it done when the truck will already be in there?

especially when it won’t hurt anything on the truck to go a few thousand more miles before doing it.

not a sermon, just a thought.

Makes sense, however it's not like we're talking an all day event to swap the tires, maybe my dealer is different but I'd be in and out in less than an hour doing that and probably less if I have an appointment....

rmrrm 02-28-2023 04:28 PM

Another vote for turning the tires around at the next rotation.

Poncho450 02-28-2023 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by rmrrm (Post 20760256)
Another vote for turning the tires around at the next rotation.

Yup. Pretty sure any tire blackening agent wouldn't last through too many trips of the car wash I visit often. It's got brushes down low specifically for scrubbing the tires.

ATC Crazy 02-28-2023 04:42 PM

You can give the tires to me for disposal.

I like white letters :D