Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Toy Hauler Towing; Fifth Wheel & Bumper Pull (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum288/)
-   -   Sundowner horse trailer as toy hauler (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1688197-sundowner-horse-trailer-as-toy-hauler.html)

johndeerefarmer 02-14-2022 11:57 AM

Sundowner horse trailer as toy hauler

Anybody here using a Sundowner or similar trailer with living quarters as both a horse trailer and toy hauler? My GF could use it to haul her horse and then we could use it for camping and hauling the SxS. I would probably need about 11' for the length, 76" for the width and 78" for the height.

TB250 02-14-2022 01:45 PM

The wife and I have been discussing the same thing. If we go that route we'll probably end up making our own as everything we find with living quarters looks like a 1950's dude ranch. Nobody seems to make living quarter horse trailers with modern interiors. It's all dark wood paneling and outdated fabrics. Something like the Flying Cloud or Globetrotter interiors would be amazing.

Desert Don 02-15-2022 05:26 AM

The only down side is that pin weight goes up pretty fast with LQ horse trailers due to the fact that the axles are place pretty close to the back of the trailer vs more centered with conventional 5th wheel trailers. A big plus is that ( IMO ) the frames and structure are built sturdier that the conventional camper trailers. Barn door or ramp door on the back for loading??? Might need to look at that and make modifications, IDK.

Birdhunter1 02-15-2022 08:01 AM

I have a bumper pull horse trailer with just a tack room up front but I have used it for hauling 4 wheelers, golf carts, moved furniture, hay, pallets of wood shavings, construction materials, tools to a jobsite, scrap steel to the recycling yard..... so yes you ca use a horse trailer as a toy hauler. As to the LQ side, the trailers I have been around are definitely more themed for the horse owner but anything can be changed. I think that 2020 F350 you listed that you have will handle a good sized LQ trailer.

johndeerefarmer 02-15-2022 08:55 AM

I think they make them that have both a ramp and swinging barn doors. I would like to keep it around 32-34' with 36' max. If the horse area was 12' that would give me 20-24' living area.
One thing I am not so keen on is the bed being in the gooseneck. Sounds like a real pain to climb in and out up there. As I get older it will only get worse.

johndeerefarmer 02-15-2022 09:27 AM

That axle being so close to the rear doesn't sound so great for a SRW truck

HRTKD 02-15-2022 10:24 AM

I reviewed the Sundowner trailers and they just didn't click with me. Maybe it was the living quarters layout? Something there was just wrong.

johndeerefarmer 02-15-2022 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by HRTKD (Post 20289771)
I reviewed the Sundowner trailers and they just didn't click with me. Maybe it was the living quarters layout? Something there was just wrong.

What brand do you prefer? I mention Sundowner because it's up the road about 50 miles from me

HRTKD 02-15-2022 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer (Post 20289907)
What brand do you prefer? I mention Sundowner because it's up the road about 50 miles from me

I've been looking at Aluminum Trailer Company. I'm tired of dealing with wood cabinetry, wood framing and wood floors.

johndeerefarmer 02-15-2022 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by HRTKD (Post 20289955)
I've been looking at Aluminum Trailer Company. I'm tired of dealing with wood cabinetry, wood framing and wood floors.

Thanks, I will take a look

dsrace 02-17-2022 11:26 AM

sundowner, lakota, merhow, outlaw, and even logan offers G/N toyhualers with living quarters or horse trailers with living quarters. all but sundowner and logan are 8' wide or narrower. logan and sundowner offer the full 102" width.

johndeerefarmer 03-17-2023 09:09 AM

I am still looking at horse trailer/toy haulers. With my new Polaris Turbo R I need 82" between the wheel wells. Not sure if Cimarron or Featherlite can do wider or not.
Now we are looking at a 16' garage and 16' living quarters so around 40' total length. If we are going to use it for 4x4 riding, horseback rides as well as regular camping we are just as well to be comfortable.
Any other comments or reviews if you own one?

Thanks

Desert Don 03-18-2023 07:07 AM

One thing I have learned about this idea. There are *some* states that the only CDL exemption are trailers that are manufactured specifically as an RV. ALL other trailers over a certain GVW rating one may need a CDL or non-commercial class A to pull it. I.E. horse trailers, utility trailers, car trailers, etc. regardless of actual useage. Other states may allow anything for personal pleasure. I know here in AZ anything for personal pleasure is exempt. But you may already have that covered anyway, and if you are legal in your state you are legal in all.

johndeerefarmer 03-18-2023 08:23 AM

I do need to look into that. Thanks

brokestroke 03-18-2023 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer (Post 20780641)
I am still looking at horse trailer/toy haulers. With my new Polaris Turbo R I need 82" between the wheel wells. Not sure if Cimarron or Featherlite can do wider or not.
Now we are looking at a 16' garage and 16' living quarters so around 40' total length. If we are going to use it for 4x4 riding, horseback rides as well as regular camping we are just as well to be comfortable.
Any other comments or reviews if you own one?

Thanks

A few years ago I converted a Bloomer Evolution 4 horse into a toy hauler. It had a built in manger that had to be removed as well as a mid-tack room dividing wall. It has double doors in the back but one door opened up to saddle storage. With the saddle storage removed it made everything open but the doors had a divider in between them. I had to cut the divider out and mount it to one of the doors. Once mounted to the door I made pins that locked it shut top and bottom, this way the other door could latch to it and couldnt move. The garage is 18ft long and can still hold horse if need be. The SxS is held in place with floor mounts.