Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Big Block V8 - 385 Series (6.1/370, 7.0/429, 7.5/460) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum53/)
-   -   Replacing Holley 4180 w/Carter 9637S AFB Carb (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/167883-replacing-holley-4180-w-carter-9637s-afb-carb.html)

bigwalt1 11-03-2003 05:58 PM

Replacing Holley 4180 w/Carter 9637S AFB Carb

I have a 1987 Class C motorhome with a 460 CID carbureated engine. I am replacing the OEM Holley 4180 with a Carter 9637S AFB carb which was supposed to have been setup with a Ford Auto Transmission Kickdown linkage.

The Carter 9637S AFB does have Ford kickdown linkage on it - but it is setup opposite of how the Holley 4180 is. On the Holley, the kickdown rod attaches inboard close to the carb body - and the throttle/cruise control cable attaches on the outboard side of the linkage further away from the carb body. The Carter is setup just opposite. The throttle/cruise control cable attachment is on the inboard side and the kickdown rod attachment is on the outboard side.

I have some digital pictures of each setup but don't know how I can post them in this message??

Edelbrock makes a separate Ford kickdown adapter (EDL 1483) that looks like it is setup for inboard kickdown rod attachment - and recommends another adapter (EDL 1495) that is needed to reposition factory throttle/cruise control cable mounting arrangement. I think these are the parts I need to resolve this ???

Is there anyone on the forum that has done this conversion and might offer some guidance.

Another question I have is whether it's worth the effort to remove the EGR system from the engine?? Any comments on this would be appreciated.

I've had lots of problems with the Holley so I'm switching to the Carter. I am also installing a Gibson Exhaust system (headers & free flow exhaust) - and recently installed an Accel 300+ electronic ignition.

I'm looking to get better performance & improved gas mileage as I will be doing some long trips w/mh next summer.

Thanks for any help/advise

Mr Man 11-05-2003 09:33 PM

If your Carter carb is the same as an Edelbrock 600 / 750, then yes, the Edelbrock adaptors you mentioned will remedy your problem. EDL-1483 places the A/T kickdown linkage on the inboard side, and EDL-1495 is just a flat plate that realigns the throttle cable correctly.

I just swapped out my Holley for an Edelbrock 750 and I'm happy with it so far.

Scott:-X01

bigwalt1 11-05-2003 11:39 PM

Scott:
Thanks for info - yes - the Carter is same as Edelbrock. I purchased both adapters - put the 1483 on the carb - and now have to figure out how to install the 1495 plate (no instructions came with it) If you could give me a short description on how this plate gets installed I'd appreciate it. A digital photo of your plate installation would help if you have one??

Walt

Mr Man 11-06-2003 11:49 PM

Walt,
I added 2 pics to my gallery of the throttle adaptor plate. All you have to do is unbolt the throttle bracket from your intake manifold attach the adaptor plate using your original bolts. The throttle bracket then bolts onto the adaptor.

Scott:-X01

kermmydog 11-10-2003 11:38 PM

If you remove the EGR you will have to buy an intake manifold non EGR. on the 460 you will notice a I call it a round dome on the right rear side of the EGR spacer. That stops you from adding just a spacer, that is where the exh. gases come into the EGR plate.

Don't throw out that 4180 that is one of the best fuel economy carbs around for the 460, There just aren't alot of guys that know how to work them. Holley built most high performance carbs for all auto manufactures up to fuel injection days.

bigwalt1 11-11-2003 08:12 AM

Already have the carter mounted - and have decided to keep EGR in place - but I do see what you mean about the spot where EGR gases enter. I've seen several posts where folks have solved this problem by filling the cavity w/JB Weld (?)

I don't have MH back together yet - still need to reroute fuel line to mate up with Carter fuel inlet - and am still in process of putting on a Gibson performance exhaust system. Just got headers bolted up yesterday and ran into problem with transmission shift rod banging up against driver side header pipes - so I need to fix this also (heating rod w/torch and bending comes to mind)

Thanks for your comments on the 4180 - I'll hang onto it for a spare - but I've heard good things about the Carter AFB (very reliable and once it's tuned it stays that way) so I'm going to give it a try for a while. I plan on doing some long distance trips next summer so I want to get the rig in good shape before I go. It's an 87 - but engine only has about 30K on it.

kermmydog 11-12-2003 10:22 PM

Sounds like things are coming together. I'm an old mechanic who still plays with the racers, and is Holley all the way, that need for speed is deep in my veins.

Your problems with your headers is one reason I don't put them on my F250, If someone would build a set of shorties so I could bolt up my exh. as it is stock that would interest me greatly. I use my F250 as a Chase Truck for one of the OFF-ROAD RACES here, along with alot of off-road use. So for some reason Holleys work off-road very well. I heard about how to plug the EGR hole from a friend of mine I passed and put on an Edelbrock Performer Manifold. My wife and I sometime find ourselves a hundred + miles from the nearest town or ranch off-road so I didn't want to chance a fix like that.

Anyway keep having fun.

Chris Popanz 07-16-2014 08:14 PM

hey kermmy-
have you tried Sanderson headers here in norcal ? they are in the bay area. I have ran a few of their headers(long and short style) and they are of high quality.