Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   General NON-Automotive Conversation (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum19/)
-   -   Assist Handles - Who Uses Them? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/164380-assist-handles-who-uses-them.html)

aerocolorado 10-23-2003 04:17 PM

Assist Handles - Who Uses Them?

For at least the past 10 years, every truck, car or SUV I've owned has been equipped with assist handles above the door, yet not a single person including myself, have ever used them. What gives? Do any of you regularly use these? Just curious.

2Bowers 10-23-2003 04:24 PM

(Other B here)
You have never ridden with my husband, obviously.

Our Bronco does not have assist handles ($#!% bars) and I wish it did. I use them whenever I ride with someone. guess I'm just nervous?

sinjin 10-23-2003 04:36 PM

My wife does the same thing.

fisher_of_man 10-23-2003 04:43 PM

ditto that...my wife always uses them....and I'm not real sure, but I think I should be offended by that :) she likes to use them to get into the truck too...especially when she's wearing a skirt and trying to be graceful....sometimes I use them :) that's when the fun really begins.

soksniffer 10-23-2003 04:50 PM

My mom and grandmother use the handle on the rare occasions I drive one of them somewhere.

So far it seems like only women use them. Hmm.

2Bowers 10-23-2003 05:05 PM

So maybe you guys make us nervous.

coolmint94 10-23-2003 05:08 PM

assist handles??????
....ohhhh...the oh shist handles....i use them when waking up from sleeping....usally i use the actual door if i go around a corner at high speeds....

Mil1ion 10-23-2003 05:45 PM

Michelle calls them a "Oh Crap Bar ".

She loved the one in the Volvo, then she asked me if I can install one on the truck.

I found a 78 Lincoln with matching interior, I got the door pull strap out off of it & then modified it to fit above her door.

"OH Crap , hang on to something ,this corner is a sharp one"

jskufan 10-23-2003 06:16 PM

My 2001 Superduty has one on the passenger side. I've noticed the new ones have them on both sides. Everyone that gets into my truck uses the handles. I would probably use the handle if there was one on the drivers side. My truck is just high enough to make it a little difficult to step in. I typically step in using the steering wheel to "stabilize" myself. I think the second handle would be great.

WigWag 10-23-2003 06:50 PM

My Excursion seems to have them anywhere. My wife, her mother, my mother, and my dad (has bad legs) use. Maybe I will if I ever get around to lifting it up. Kind of funny. Seems guys use the handrails on stairs and such more (so THEY say). I know I do. Guess women DON'T trust our driving anymore than we trust theirs.:) :) :)

13hondacr250 10-23-2003 09:30 PM

I'll use the ones that run along the pillar of the windshield. They make it handy to get in.

I try hard not to use the door cause it wear out the bushings faster.

fordeverpower 10-23-2003 09:43 PM

never owned anything with assist handles but my grandma uses them.

Phat02 10-23-2003 09:53 PM

My Mother uses them. If my truck didn't have the steps and handles she couldn't get in. Before last year she couldn't get in anyway, but she has 2 new high mileage knees now!:)

Greywolf 10-23-2003 10:23 PM

"There is nothing quite like pure abject fear, to bring two people together"

The quote: "Honey, we gonna bounce!" comes to mind...

If the worst case thing happens, I just hope all of my tools don't come up into the front seat at once - that could be very distracting....

(This quote is for Mil1on)

"Love me tender, love me do - never let me GO!"

(NAVY quote) "GRAB ONTO YOUR SOCKS, SHIPMATES. That might be all that holds us here..."

rikfish 10-23-2003 11:02 PM

JSKUFAN,

I try not to use the steering wheel ever since I broke the tilt mechanism in one of my old trucks doing just that. I also tend to pull myself back upright using the wheel when I find myself slouching in the seat, another boo - bad thing to do.