Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   Are all reproduction hoods created equal? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1633887-are-all-reproduction-hoods-created-equal.html)

TexasGuy001 08-17-2020 02:30 PM

Are all reproduction hoods created equal?

I am still looking for a nice used hood for my F150 since hail damage destroyed mine. I have not found anything in very good shape. I would really like to just find an Oxford White original hood to just swap out.

I know from past experience with vintage cars and from others on these truck groups that reproduction is almost never as good as OEM. I especially hear that about tail gates. That said, is this true of reproduction hoods for our trucks, and if so, is there one brand that is the best? Or, are they all junk?

NPD usually has some of the better stuff. Has anyone used their hood?

https://www.npdlink.com/product/hood...0000%26year%3D

Edgethis 08-17-2020 06:50 PM

Its hard to say really. I agree they usually have nice stuff, but they also usually have more then one option.

Dynacorn is the go to brand for alot of old Mustang parts when you can't get oem/nos.

yardbird 08-17-2020 07:42 PM

CAPA certified parts are held to a higher standard. They are designed for fit and finish close to, or as good, as OEM.

EllieMae94 08-17-2020 10:26 PM

Yes, I got a CAPA certified hood I purchased off rock auto last year. I compared it to the factory OEM hood and they are identical in every way. Just needed to paint it.

TexasGuy001 08-18-2020 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by EllieMae94 (Post 19437464)
Yes, I got a CAPA certified hood I purchased off rock auto last year. I compared it to the factory OEM hood and they are identical in every way. Just needed to paint it.

Funny you mention Rock Auto, I just ordered some new KYB shocks from them. I don't see any hoods listed under 1994 F150.

TexasGuy001 08-18-2020 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Edgethis (Post 19436937)
Its hard to say really. I agree they usually have nice stuff, but they also usually have more then one option.

Dynacorn is the go to brand for alot of old Mustang parts when you can't get oem/nos.

Yeah, Dynacorn is one of the best manufacturers for vintage Mustang stuff. I've got a 65 and have several friends with Mustangs. I only see one hood option from NPD for our trucks. I sent a message to ask for more details on it.

EllieMae94 08-18-2020 03:53 PM

I just double-checked and I also don't see hoods listed on their site. That was last year in April or May when I ordered it through them. Another option to find a CAPA hood is to call your local junkyards. Believe it or not, they can get these brand new. Also, your local body shops should be able to track one down. It's worth every penny finding a CAPA certified in my opinion.

TexasGuy001 08-18-2020 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by yardbird (Post 19437076)
CAPA certified parts are held to a higher standard. They are designed for fit and finish close to, or as good, as OEM.

That is definitely worth noting. Thanks for the reminder.

TexasGuy001 08-18-2020 03:57 PM

Dang! Freight shipping from NPD cost more than the hood does. LOL.. Still might be the best option though.

The LMC hood is on backorder. I am curious though it they are the same hood or not.

TexasGuy001 08-18-2020 05:15 PM

My biggest concern really is that the new hood be as rigid as the original and not something that will dent easily. Has anyone ever checked the thickness of the metal and compared them?

EllieMae94 08-18-2020 05:37 PM

I just went out to measure and compare my new CAPA hood with the factory OEM hood in three different places as it varies where you take the measurement and all 3 locations measured the exact same thickness.

I’m pretty sure the brand of that CAPA hood is Keystone. And yeah you are right about the shipping costs. I remember the shipping for mine was very close to the price of the hood! About a month later I was curious and asked my local junkyard about getting a new CAPA hood from them and they quoted me less thanks to their commercial account.

Bricknose 250 08-18-2020 09:57 PM

You will never find aftermarket crap that fits and is as well built or identical to a original oem part wether it's a bumper or a seat belt.Try the junk yard for a dent free hood and repaint.

yardbird 08-18-2020 10:55 PM

Check with LQK. They have pretty much taken over the used parts business and the aftermarket in many places. They now own Keystone auto parts.

They are all over Texas in the used and aftermarket business. If you are a business with a federal tax ID and a state sales tax ID (if applicable in your stare), you can get some big discounts.

My4Fordtrucks 08-19-2020 03:10 PM

I bought a hood from LMC for my ‘89. The front corners aren’t rounded like the OEM hood. Also you can see the top skin vibrate and shake where the factory hood did not. On the bright side the hood fit very good

TexasGuy001 08-20-2020 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Bricknose 250 (Post 19438998)
You will never find aftermarket crap that fits and is as well built or identical to a original oem part wether it's a bumper or a seat belt.Try the junk yard for a dent free hood and repaint.

I generally agree that aftermarket body panels are nowhere near as good as OEM, but it would have to be better than one full of hail dents. I've been looking at salvage yard hoods for 3 months and multiple trips and all have been junk. I did pick up a decent one on Marketplace yesterday that has one ding in it. I hope this one turns out nice after being painted.