Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   So, truck throws tantrums sometimes (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1619391-so-truck-throws-tantrums-sometimes.html)

Michael Valdez 04-06-2020 04:03 PM

So, truck throws tantrums sometimes

I have found that whenever I use overdrive, the next time I go to start the truck it will refuse to start, I have to sit and keep cycling it and cranking it to get it to start any ideas?

ALSO I put that because I don't know if that and my current problem are connected, today I drove it around town, DIDNT USE OVERDRIVE AT ALL, but when I parked it and came back, it started I threw it in reverse drove it about 10 feet before noticing a gas smell and it died, it won't start and Everytime I crank it now it smells like gas and has no sign of firing anything helps!

crashtestdummy 04-06-2020 04:20 PM

I'm new here to but I do know that if you want answers you need to give more details.
What motor do you have?
What year?
What transmission?
What fuel delivery type Carb or EFI.
And welcome to the forum.

Michael Valdez 04-06-2020 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by crashtestdummy (Post 19212612)
I'm new here to but I do know that if you want answers you need to give more details.
What motor do you have?
What year?
What transmission?
What fuel delivery type Carb or EFI.
And welcome to the forum.

Sorry about that, it is a 1994 EFI 5.0 with a 40r70w behind it

1TonBasecamp 04-06-2020 06:48 PM

Wow, today's a big day for the '94 5.0 crowd! More like a bad day, but apparently you're in good company.

When you say you use overdrive, is it otherwise locked out with the button, or is it that you physically keep the shift lever in a lower gear?
Or do you just not get up to speed far enough for it to kick in to overdrive?

And how long is the engine running? Is it getting fully warmed up, or is it just roaming around the property a bit and keeping cool?

Paul

sandymane 04-06-2020 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Valdez (Post 19212568)
I have found that whenever I use overdrive, the next time I go to start the truck it will refuse to start, I have to sit and keep cycling it and cranking it to get it to start any ideas?

ALSO I put that because I don't know if that and my current problem are connected, today I drove it around town, DIDNT USE OVERDRIVE AT ALL, but when I parked it and came back, it started I threw it in reverse drove it about 10 feet before noticing a gas smell and it died, it won't start and Everytime I crank it now it smells like gas and has no sign of firing anything helps!

You have many possibilities that could be causing your problem. Here is a video on how to run diagnostic codes to see if we can narrow the problem down. Use a paper clip instead of a jumper he uses if you want. Let us know the codes. Sandy

Encho 04-06-2020 07:49 PM

I somehow thinks the MLPS or the ECM are involved in this mess. Do check for codes and get back to us.

And welcome to FTE! both of you.

Michael Valdez 04-06-2020 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by sandymane (Post 19212890)
You have many possibilities that could be causing your problem. Here is a video on how to run diagnostic codes to see if we can narrow the problem down. Use a paper clip instead of a jumper he uses if you want. Let us know the codes. Sandy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p04NPv_gXsI&t=19s

Well I tried that and my check engine light just shuts off and doesn't give off any codes

Michael Valdez 04-06-2020 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by 1TonBasecamp (Post 19212854)
Wow, today's a big day for the '94 5.0 crowd! More like a bad day, but apparently you're in good company.

When you say you use overdrive, is it otherwise locked out with the button, or is it that you physically keep the shift lever in a lower gear?
Or do you just not get up to speed far enough for it to kick in to overdrive?

And how long is the engine running? Is it getting fully warmed up, or is it just roaming around the property a bit and keeping cool?

Paul

yes it's locked out with a button, and the truck was warmed up it was shut off twice while I was shopping in town

sandymane 04-06-2020 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Valdez (Post 19212957)
Well I tried that and my check engine light just shuts off and doesn't give off any codes

That in itself is a problem. Those codes would be helpful. Can you please describe exactly how you ran the test, could be we are missing something. The more detail the better. Sandy

Michael Valdez 04-06-2020 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by sandymane (Post 19212969)
That in itself is a problem. Those codes would be helpful. Can you please describe exactly how you ran the test, could be we are missing something. The more detail the better. Sandy

Well I pulled the self tester out put a paper clip from the top right to the little gray plug walked to the cab put the ignition into the on position and the check engine light flashes really quick and just shuts off

sandymane 04-06-2020 08:27 PM

Good description, thanks. How long do you think you waited for the light to come back on before you quit.

Michael Valdez 04-06-2020 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by sandymane (Post 19213025)
Good description, thanks. How long do you think you waited for the light to come back on before you quit.

About 5- 10 minutes

sandymane 04-06-2020 08:35 PM

That was plenty of time. Should have been less than 30 sec. There are two top rights you can put the paperclip in, the one with two terminals and one with three. The one you use is the two row. Was that where you put it? If so, I would do it again and make sure the paper clips are really pushed in good. Hope it works

torq'ta 5 8 04-06-2020 08:35 PM

when you turn the key to ON position do you hear fuel pump run for 2-3 seconds, if you hear fuel pump run, get a gauge and check fuel pressure, with you cycling the key on, off multiple times, you may have a hose or connection that leak has gotten worse, see if you can find where gas smell is strongest, under hood, or under truck, or at tanks, do both tanks work?

Michael Valdez 04-06-2020 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by sandymane (Post 19213037)
That was plenty of time. Should have been less than 30 sec. There are two top rights you can put the paperclip in, the one with two terminals and one with three. The one you use is the two row. Was that where you put it? If so, I would do it again and make sure the paper clips are really pushed in good. Hope it works

I got 1111 and 118