Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   93 f150 ignition switch hassles (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/16052-93-f150-ignition-switch-hassles.html)

webpilot 02-25-2001 03:45 PM

93 f150 ignition switch hassles

hi all,,would hope the mechanics out there can tell me what to expect part wise and how intensive the repair will be when i take my truck in this week to have the ignition switch assy worked on.Problem has been ongoing for 2 months,it is:1: feel resistance sometimes when turning key to start up.2: warning chime still sounds after key is pulled out,have to wiggle assembly to get it to stop chiming. 3: just today turned to start, no ignition,had all lights and electric, fiddled with key,wiggled switch assy, tried again and fired up...Am i looking at it failing completly if i dont get it fixed? been lucky so far...thanks for any tips.

KevinT 02-25-2001 05:46 PM

Oh man you're kidding, my ignition switch makes the buzzing sound unless I smack it sometimes when I turn the truck off, that means that its going to fail? aww man...

1995 F-150XL SC/SB
http://members.sounddomain.com/blind
5-Star Rated F-150 (Big Stereo)

freeway 02-25-2001 06:32 PM

If this is anything like my 85 Bronco (I think it is) it will be easy to change. The switch in question is not what you put key into, but a little white thing about 2.5 inches long on the top of the steering column. It cost me $6 or $8 bucks at the parts store. To change it, drop the steering column - there are two bolts holding it up and you will see the switch on the top of the column under the dash. Unplug the wires that go into it (one big plug) take off the two nuts holding it to the column and put the new one on. Under the switch there is a little metal rod pointing up - this comes from where the key goes. Make sure the little hole on the bottom of the switch is lined up just like the old one. When I put the new switch on, I lined it up using the mark in the dust from the old one. It took me about 10 minutes to change and It was the first time I did it.
I don't think this is different in 93, but I'm not sure.
Dan

hotrodford_88 02-25-2001 08:27 PM

If you buy a new key switch, you'll have two different keys for your truck! Take the new switch down to a quality locksmith, and have them repin it! I had this done when I changed out all of the locks on my 88. I bought a new set of door locks and a new ignition lock, strangely the door locks came with the same style key as the ignition. I had the ignition switch repinned to match the door locks, and they all work perfectly. Now I have one key to get into the truck. And I still have my old glove box lock, so I still have that key as well.

1988 F-150, SWB, 5.0 EFI (formerly 4.9 EFI), M5OD 5 speed, 3.08 gears, Summit shorty truck headers, Custom built Flowmaster exhaust system. Force 4 LP6000 lightbar, Federal signal PA-300 100 watt siren, Icom IC-V100 50 watt mobile radio.
=======================================
1965 F-100 (just purchased 1/18/01), SWB, 390, C-6 auto. Dual exhaust, Not much else to do to it.

Can see both below.

[link:www.geocities.com/hotrodford_88/|Hotrodford_88's Webpage]

jams3 03-15-2001 11:49 AM

i have a 94 and the swicth is doing the same thing plus
i can some times pull the key out when it is in run.
and if i dont pay atenchen when i turn off the truck
i can start it with no key.
i would like to now what they did and the parts that were replaced.
thanks
marc

reroy 03-15-2001 12:12 PM

I've had trouble with my ignition switch for about two months. I put my key in, and the switch won't turn. I'd jiggle the key, turn it upside down, put it back in, jiggle the steering wheel, then it would finally let loose so I could start the engine.

Then one day, I looked at my key, it was the original key, and I've been using it for almost 17 years now. And I thought maybe I should try my extra key that isn't so worn out.....

The extra key worked just fine !! So I threw away the worn out key, and went to the hardware store and had a new key cut, so I'd once again have a spare...

I felt a little dumb after that one !! ;=)

LeRoy Wolff, original owner of
1984 Ford F150
300 six 3 speed with overdrive
optional dual rusted out fenders
truck's nick name "Old Red"

biglurp 03-15-2001 12:12 PM

Check recall board. My 90 f-150 had an ignition switch recall. I'm not sure if it's just the switch or whole key-switch assem. Gary

webpilot 03-15-2001 07:52 PM

hi again and thanks for all who responded to my original post. Just wanted to let you know that the service dept replaced the tumbler assy which fixed all my ignition switch problems. I got a new key outa the deal but can always have the door lock matched to the ignition key tumblers. appreciate all who responded!!

PAUL_2 03-15-2001 11:05 PM

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 16-Mar-01 AT 00:06 AM (EST)[/font][p]

knuckles 03-16-2001 02:10 AM