Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum128/)
-   -   Best exhaust manifolds (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1602189-best-exhaust-manifolds.html)

olddawg64 11-03-2019 08:19 PM

Best exhaust manifolds

Are any aftermarket exhaust manifolds, like Dorman, etc. better than stock? 1995 Ford e350 7.5l class c with broken bolts. Thank you

JWA 11-04-2019 04:30 AM

IIRC Ford or someone has a stainless steel replacement however for the most part there's nothing really wrong with the stock parts Ford used. I believe the biggest improvement one can make related to exhaust manifolds is using Ford-supplied stainless steel studs along with SS washers and nuts. It wouldn't hurt to use a bit of nickel-based anti-seize on the head side of those studs to make removal easier should that ever be necessary in the future.

Since you're running a diesel I'm not sure those ever had exhaust manifold issues? What prompts you to considering changing your's?

Steve460 11-04-2019 07:36 AM

[QUOTE=olddawg64;18931493]Are any aftermarket exhaust manifolds, like Dorman, etc. better than stock? 1995 Ford e350 7.5l class c with broken bolts.
He doesn’t have a Diesel.
All 460’s will warp the exhaust manifolds and pop the bolts on cylinders 4 & 8. Too much heat at the rear of the manifolds and they glow red with the pedal down and warp.
You can’t use studs or you wont be able to install them.
The Dorman’s wont last very long, junk from China.
If you plan to keep this vehicle the only long term replacement is the Banks Stainless headers with 5/8” mounting flange. Banks no longer list the kit for Class C motorhomes with 460 .
However the headers themselves are the same as the ones they sell for F350’s. I purchased these for my 94 Club Wagon, search Headers and you can see some pictures of them.
Banks also sells an excellent drill fixture plate that bolts onto the head that you install drill bushings on and allows you to drill out the broken bolts dead center.
Steve

olddawg64 11-04-2019 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by JWA (Post 18931910)
IIRC Ford or someone has a stainless steel replacement however for the most part there's nothing really wrong with the stock parts Ford used. I believe the biggest improvement one can make related to exhaust manifolds is using Ford-supplied stainless steel studs along with SS washers and nuts. It wouldn't hurt to use a bit of nickel-based anti-seize on the head side of those studs to make removal easier should that ever be necessary in the future.

Since you're running a diesel I'm not sure those ever had exhaust manifold issues? What prompts you to considering changing your's?

Well first - the 7. 5l is gas. It's the 460.
2nd - warped exhaust manifold and several broken bolts.

Steve460 11-04-2019 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by olddawg64 (Post 18932355)
Well first - the 7. 5l is gas. It's the 460.
2nd - warped exhaust manifold and several broken bolts.

Did you read my post for the solution to warped manifolds?

olddawg64 11-04-2019 10:41 AM

I did, thanks. Well, Thorley and Stan's have them as well but they're expensive. But those bolt right up to the exhaust. If the Banks are for the F series pickups, I'm sure they won't be a straight bolt on so more $$ for a custom exhaust, right?

Steve460 11-04-2019 01:13 PM

Does your RV still have the factory Ford Y pipe ?
Does the air pump work and you have air tube conections on the original manifolds still working ?
Do you still have a Catalytic Converter ?

olddawg64 11-04-2019 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Steve460 (Post 18932667)
Does your RV still have the factory Ford Y pipe ?
Does the air pump work and you have air tube conections on the original manifolds still working ?
Do you still have a Catalytic Converter ?

Everything is stock. I don't believe Ford installed catalytic converters on 1995 E350 motorhomes. Although I haven't looked.

Steve460 11-04-2019 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by olddawg64 (Post 18932463)
I did, thanks. Well, Thorley and Stan's have them as well but they're expensive. But those bolt right up to the exhaust. If the Banks are for the F series pickups, I'm sure they won't be a straight bolt on so more $$ for a custom exhaust, right?

Read the description for Stans, no air tube connections or EGR connection , no Y pipe , must fabricate . Also they list the same header part #’s fitting F350 .
Doug Thorley offers THY-214Y-FI3-C .
Includes Y pipe and has air tubes& egr , 14 gauge steel, 3/8 mounting flange , 3 hole flange to bolt Y pipe to Catalytic Converter , ceramic coated. $1095.00 and not in stock. This should be a bolt on per Thorley if you still have a Cat.
Least expensive is to buy those Dormans
Have you removed the stock manifolds yet ?
If not be prepared to remove the heads or pull the engine .
I pulled the engine, no way are you going to drill the bolts out with it installed.

olddawg64 11-04-2019 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Steve460 (Post 18933215)
Read the description for Stans, no air tube connections or EGR connection , no Y pipe , must fabricate . Also they list the same header part #’s fitting F350 .
Doug Thorley offers THY-214Y-FI3-C .
Includes Y pipe and has air tubes& egr , 14 gauge steel, 3/8 mounting flange , 3 hole flange to bolt Y pipe to Catalytic Converter , ceramic coated. $1095.00 and not in stock. This should be a bolt on per Thorley if you still have a Cat.
Least expensive is to buy those Dormans
Have you removed the stock manifolds yet ?
If not be prepared to remove the heads or pull the engine .
I pulled the engine, no way are you going to drill the bolts out with it installed.

Yeah, where there's a will there's a way. I've seen it done. It's a b*tch and you need to remove everything along with having a 90 degree drill and a guide. Or a torch just to blow the bolts out. However, I'm not doing it - a local shop has already said they'll take it in and they've done a few. But back to the headers...
So, how much modification for installing the Banks headers you're talking about? Do they have all the smog fittings, etc.? I guess I'd have a 3" single exhaust installed anyway.

olddawg64 11-04-2019 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by olddawg64 (Post 18933231)
Yeah, where there's a will there's a way. I've seen it done. It's a b*tch and you need to remove everything along with having a 90 degree drill and a guide. Or a torch just to blow the bolts out. However, I'm not doing it - a local shop has already said they'll take it in and they've done a few. But back to the headers...
So, how much modification for installing the Banks headers you're talking about? Do they have all the smog fittings, etc.? I guess I'd have a 3" single exhaust installed anyway.

Another question I'd have:
If the Banks headers for the pickup is the same as the van, would headers from other companies for the truck also fit the van?

Steve460 11-04-2019 08:07 PM

I didn’t research other brand applications because Banks are the only stainless headers with a 5/8 flange out there for this vehicle.I don't want any manifold issues down the road and will never get rid of my van so it is money well spent for me. I also removed the air pump & plumbing and have no Cat anymore. I bought headers for a 96-97 California F350 , still has EGR but no air tube connections. If you are having a shop do this then you should probably stick with maintaining all the emission systems and maybe use the Dorman manifolds.
Scroll down this thread to see pics of the Banks that i posted
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...r-options.html

olddawg64 11-26-2019 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Steve460 (Post 18933345)
I didn’t research other brand applications because Banks are the only stainless headers with a 5/8 flange out there for this vehicle.I don't want any manifold issues down the road and will never get rid of my van so it is money well spent for me. I also removed the air pump & plumbing and have no Cat anymore. I bought headers for a 96-97 California F350 , still has EGR but no air tube connections. If you are having a shop do this then you should probably stick with maintaining all the emission systems and maybe use the Dorman manifolds.
Scroll down this thread to see pics of the Banks that i posted
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...r-options.html

I see they have an option for '93-'97 as well, without California emissions though. What's the difference in those and the ones you got? Thanks.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...a91421b0d7.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...c557d283e1.jpg

Steve460 11-27-2019 07:35 AM

Those have the air tube fittings for the air pump. The California emissions headers only have the connector for the EGR tube.

Maillemaker 11-27-2019 02:15 PM

I don't believe Ford installed catalytic converters on 1995 E350 motorhomes.
My 1990 has a catalytic convert, and one O2 sensor upstream of it.

I bet newer models have an O2 sensor upstream and downstream, and if you pull the cat you'll have to do something to trick the downstream O2.

Steve