Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Most Durable Paint Color for SuperDuty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/160037-most-durable-paint-color-for-superduty.html)

dmnj 10-09-2003 08:22 AM

Most Durable Paint Color for SuperDuty

I've noticed a few threads dicussing some paint issues.

1. One discussed paint chipping in the early life of the new truck. I think the recomendataion there was to contact NBC at dateline.com

2. Another discussed the painted grills and bumpers (available with the XLT package I think) wont hold up from being nicked easily from runaway stones on the highway.

3. While at the dealer, I noticed a fairly new E350 Van that was dark green and had severly peeling paint on the front of the roof top.

My questions are,
a. are there any particular colors that are going to hold up the best?
b. are there any that are known not to last?
c. it seems that the white colored trucks don't absorb the heat from the sun which may cause some impact. thoughts?

I am getting a truck, it wont' be garage kept, and wondered if there are any colors that are more durable then others.

Thanks

bigdmizer 10-09-2003 08:41 AM

landscaping truck

My truck gets abused fairly often on the exterior due to the nature of my work. The dark toreador red has held up very well so far. There are some scratches on the body but the touch up paint is hidden very well with this color. If I add a coat of wax to it the turck looks almost brand new.

charlesvalentine 10-09-2003 09:07 AM

The gold covers scratches well and you Never have to wash it cuz it never looks dirty!!! But when you do wash it, it changes color! :) In fact I know its time to wash the truck when the wheels are black from the brake dust. and not because you can tell thre truck is dirty.

Bob Ayers 10-09-2003 09:09 AM

White will stay cooler, so I voted for white.....

It also doesn't show dirt as bad as a dark color.....

garymake 10-09-2003 10:09 AM

If you want to know which is the most durable and shows the least amount of wear for the least amount of effort, look at the fleet vehicles. Most of the ones I see are white.....

LNH68 10-09-2003 10:15 AM

I voted white, guess because mine is white LOL.

fisher_of_man 10-09-2003 10:16 AM

I got a white one...it doesn't look near as bad when it is dirty...but if I had my choice, I would go with the dark grey or the arizona beige...I love both of those colors!

Waxy 10-09-2003 10:16 AM

garymake nailed it.

Every oil company fleet truck in western Canada is a WHITE Superduty.

That's the reason I would never buy a white one, but I don't think there's any denying the fact that white stands up the best to abuse.

Any dark colour- Black, True Blue, Torreador red, dark green, will show scratches and abuse really quickly and they're hard to keep clean. Of course, that's the list of the best looking colors too IMHO.

Waxy

dinebito 10-09-2003 12:34 PM

i agree w/ Fisher -- of course, cuz my new truck is Az Beige...

however, there is ABSOLUTELY True reasoning behind this color:

- when i was first looking for an F250, i kept a conscience eye out for all F250+ trucks on the road. NO QUESTION about it, the VAST majority of them are white!!!

- white is the color i originally wanted due to not showing alot of dirty, scratches, etc...

- after days of watching trucks, i realized that each white truck was (w/ essentially NO exception) a 'Work-Truck'. nothing wrong at all w/ that (in fact shows what a great Ford Tough product the F250+ is), but i also wanted some IDENTITY Of my OWN.

- now a week and a half in, including two days of rain, and many dirt roads, my AZ beige trucks looks like new (from distance).

- 4 days ago, the hillbilly in me took 3 mins to wipe down the chrome bumpers, wheel, and steps... and looks like new still. (perhaps will wash this weekend).

- living up in north suburbs far away from detroit, we have LOTS of dirt roads, so i will NEVER own a DARK[er] colored vehicle again.

cheers.

Munkey 10-09-2003 01:20 PM

I was going to get my truck in silver when I placed my order, but at the last minute changed it to dark shadow grey. If the truck is clean, it looks great!! But as soon as it gets the least bit dirty, you can tell from a mile away.

On another note...does anyone think that the darker the color, the faster the wax wears off?? My last two trucks have been tan/gold and the wax seemed to last at least 6 months before it wouldn't bead water anymore. This dark grey seems to burn though the wax within a month!! Just curious....

jskufan 10-09-2003 03:17 PM

I have had three white trucks before my current one. Believe it or not white always looks cleaner and I think it's a lot easier to match if the body shop has to. It also doesn't show the buffing scratches like the metallics and clear coats.

jaxf250 10-09-2003 06:17 PM

White w/o a doubt. OK, this coming from a guy with Oxford white on his truck.... maybe I'm biased! LOL

jeepgod 10-09-2003 06:21 PM

my old f250 was gold.. and i didnt really care for the color.. but it never showed dirt.. like stated above.. id wash it when the rims turned black... silver is also a good color to hide dirt.. now i have the true blue.. i love the color.. but it shows dirt like its cool

1911 10-09-2003 07:13 PM

I had an '87 F150 4X4 in GRAY.
That paint peeled off the hood in only a couple years.
I *heard* that Ford had ongoing problems with the gray paint back in that time period and I think I remember getting recall notices about it, but it's been a while and my memory is fuzzy.

Then I had a '97 F150 in GREEN.
It still looked good when I traded it in 1 month ago.
It did show dirt.

Now, I have an '04 F250 in ......
...you guessed it. WHITE. :)
(Two tone with AZ Beige on bottom.)
So far, I like it best of all.

Go Aweigh2452 10-09-2003 07:55 PM

White would be the most durable due to lack of heat retaining properties given the rest of the colors had the same basic formula. Now having said that, it is also obvious that

SONIC Blue is the the FASTEST color.... hahahahaha